*Those Left Behind*

Single-player third-person action horror zombie game with base and time management.
Release Date: Q1 2023

Hi, I’ve edited this post so that now it will serve as a:

1. source for links
  2. development log
  3. place where people can catch a quick preview of the game (gifs + youtube vid)

1.Links

2. Development Log

-v0.58 [2022/10/14] Add “Suburbs” (new map location to scavenge at)
-v0.57 [2022/10/08] Add Crafting

• v0.56 [2022/09/09] Add StoryAndLevelManager; implement stay-at-home feature; add fire-barrels as path markers
  • v0.55 [2022/09/02] Add a kills-based Upgrade System
  • v0.5 [2022/08/26] This is a big update. Please see Detailed Development Log.
  • [2022/07/09] Hiatus from development to focus on release and promotional content. Will resume development towards the end of 2022/07.
  • v0.2.0.8 [2022/06/24] add Traits system; add Status system
  • v0.2.0.7 [2022/06/10] add BuildQueue System and SurvivorJob->Build
  • v0.2.0.6 (2022/06/03) rework the Save/Load system to use LevelStreaming
  • v0.2.0.5 (2022/05/20) add Scavenging Tutorial
  • v0.2.0.4 (2022/05/13) add trading system; add map (Suburbia: trader’s outpost); add bullet holes to walls and weapon gore particle effects
  • v0.2.0.3 (2022/05/6) add a map (supermarket)
  • v0.2.0.2 (2022/04/29) add weather system
  • v0.2.0.1 (2022/04/23) add homebase inventory; add multiple survivor functionality; add equippable shoes and pants; add complete phase cycle (players can play as many nights as they want)
  • v0.2.0.0 (2022/04/08) prototype release

3. Preview

Checkout the gameplay trailer.

Or if you want just a quick look, catch a glimpse of the gifs below.

buildq
Base building.

trade
Trade.

status_and_traits
Manage your survivors.

axe
Take enemies down with melee weapons.

handgun
Or with guns.

swarm
Try not to get swarmed!

4 Likes

Greetings @Marius557 !

Thank you for sharing your project Those Left Behind with us!
My favorite part of your video is at mark 1:35, where it sounds like the zombie is saying, “ohhhhh godddd!” LOL! :woman_zombie:

Are the zombies attracted to any kind of light, or are they designed to be attracted to the “smell” of live flesh (i.e. the player)? Will you be implementing a life bar when a zombie is attacked so that the player can estimate how many strikes will eliminate the zombie? Is there a limit to how many uses a player can get out of a certain kind of weapon? Finally, what are you currently working on to add to your existing project, since this is a prototype? :grinning:

1 Like

Hah, does the zombie say that? I’ll have to go back and have a listen.

The zombies are designed to be attracted to the light from the player’s flashlight (given that it’s shone close enough to them). They are also notified if the player runs/jogs by them (noise based on speed of the player).

I don’t plan on adding a life bar. I want to have as few HUD elements as possible. In the future I would like to hide the HUD and only show it when the player wants to see it. But if enough people wanted life bars, I’d add it as an option set by the player.

Re limit to uses of a weapon, Weapon Durability is always something that I wanted to have. :smiley: . Weapon objects have had this variable since the beginning, I just haven’t implemented the feature.

Re What I’m working on… well I’m having a rest for a few days, but when I get back to it, here are my top priorities:

1. housekeeping → first priority is clean-up.
    i. I need to simplify and streamline my save-game set-up.
    ii. the HUD message system also needs some work. it’s too disjointed right now. Cleaning it up will permit me to more easily add features such as interactions with NPCs.

2. adding homebase station bonuses (e.g. having a kitchen grants survivors more health)

3. adding a labor system

Thanks for chiming in! It feels good to talk about my project.

2 Likes

Significant update. Bump.

2 Likes

Hey @Marius557,

Hope you’re doing well!

Came here from your update video. As always, zombies are the bane of my existence with their creepiness. Despite that, love seeing the updates for your project here :smiley:

Really looking forward to seeing all the things you listed in your “Top Priorities”. Happy developing!

Hi Mr. Panda sir,

Thanks for checking up!

I’ve further updated my Hospital Teaser with a professional voice actor (I voiced the the first version :rofl: ).

I’ve finished with the core of my previous list of priorities and now I have two new ones. One on the development side and another on the promotional side.

On the promotional side:

1. Setup a Steam Page
  2. Make a full website for the game (right now it’s pretty barebones) www.thoseleftbehindthegame.com
  3. Make another teaser

On the development side:

1. add a “Downtown” level
  2. add a lot of little things
    i. item durability for melee weapons
    ii. different reticles for different weapon types
    iii. customized loading screens
    iv. add music during the scavenge/combat phase
    v. etc. the list goes on.
3 Likes

Amazing work for a solo dev. I see cool Resident Evil vibes here. Keep up the good work mate!

2 Likes

Definitely seems like you have a solid plan here. Watching this project grow sounds genuinely fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hello steam page!
hello updated website!

https://www.thoseleftbehindthegame.com

1 Like

Hi @Marius557 !

Thank you for sharing your Steam page and for announcing new improvements to your website! I really enjoy the dark theme of your website. It serves as a haunting foreshadowing of the mode of survival you will have to endure when scavenging in the game.

You’ve accomplished your promotional goals. Now onward to the development goals! I wish you the best!

Hi everyone, just a quick update.

First, I finished making a gameplay trailer! Check it out!

Second, even though there haven’t been any formal updates, I have been working a lot on the game. I’ve been polishing, refactoring and fixing bugs.

2 Likes

I would not be able to handle this game. The zombie noises would be way too much for me :joy: Out of curiosity, are there any unique zombies that do special things? Like run faster or infect you from a distance?

1 Like

When out exploring the world, sometimes the sky turns red and a strange sound fills the air. During these times, “Events,” all zombies are fast and more alert.

However, there is a special type of zombie called a tweaker. Tweakers are ALWAYS fast. Super fast. When idle, tweakers simply stand still and make a characteristic gurgling noise. If you shine your light by them or make a noise (gun shot, weapon attack, or footsteps) too close to them, they will be alerted to your presence and come chasing after you.

1 Like

That sounds genuinely terrifying. The name also certainly doesn’t help either. Is being stealthy an option at all?

Running makes more noise.
Some guns make more noise than others.
Power up generators to light the levels so that you don’t have to use your flashlight so much.

Also, In the upgrade system there are perks that help the player be more stealthy.

1 Like

Ooh, will there be an upcoming video in the future showing off some of the perks that have been developed so far? :smiley:

1 Like

I made one because you asked. :grinning:

Here’s a screenshot of the current upgrade menu.

2 Likes

Good ole zombie noises. Perfect to give me the chills mid showcase :joy: But thanks so much for taking the time to share more of your project. This was a perfect demonstration to show how the skills work, especially the flashlight skills adding immersion and a bit of comfort to an otherwise terrifying environment.

Do you currently have plans to incorporate “hordes” of zombies or is it typically small packs of the creepy creatures?

1 Like

Haha, I should have probably turned down the game audio for the video.

There are no plans for hordes, just for packs. What will change are the spaces that the player finds themselves in. Spaces range from being small and cramped to being large and open.

My cowardice thanks you for the no hordes. :laughing: Just one last question, is there any sort of “base building”? Or a home point where the player can bring back any loot?

2 Likes