Download

Slower build times in 4.8?

This commit still not integrate to 4.8 branch.

That CL missed the 4.8.2 cut-off date, unfortunately. It will likely be integrated if a 4.8.3 release gets planned.

Steve

That’s a really bad news…
We will stay with poor build times for weeks…

Is there a way for you to provide a “manual” patch for this? Isn’t it just the exe ou 1 dll to change?

Is there a way we can fix this? We don’t want to wait another month to get decent compile times…

Hello SentinelSigma,

Unfortunately until a version that is released that has this fix integrated, there is no way to workaround this in a binary version of the engine. If you are using a version of the engine built from source code however, you can feel free to integrate the commit (the GitHub link that he provided) into your source code instead of waiting for it to be integrated.

Hope this helps!

Matthew Clark

DO the patch have been included in 4.8.3?

Thanks,

Well it is not in the patch notes :frowning:

yeah… that’s so sad…
we will have to wait about 3 weeks to get this fix in 4.9

I have just updated to 4.8.3 and the build times haven’t changed.

So the current 4.9 preview also doesn’t have the patch?

As pointed out, this is not in the patch notes, and as I started using unreal engine now with 4.8 I had assumed that the compile times of 18 sec were normal…
Now I understand that they are not!
Any update as to the progress of this patch for the Binary build? And yes, I would really prefer not having to compile it myself…

Yes, it probably comes with 4.9, but I am not sure if it is in the current 4.9 preview.

Yay, the compile times are really fast in 4.9 preview 1. For my character.cpp it went down from 24seconds to 4seconds.

Good to hear, gonna download asap!

Haha, looks like I’m moving to 4.9 already then :stuck_out_tongue:

I have similar issue using 4.13, UHT always run when i make a cpp change (like changing a letter inside a comment). It’s pretty annoying. Can someone help me make it work like it is supposed to. I use the engine from Github.


1>------ Skipped Build: Project: DotNETUtilities, Configuration: Development Any CPU ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
2>------ Build started: Project: ShaderCompileWorker, Configuration: Development_Program x64 ------
2>  Target is up to date
3>------ Build started: Project: BPAmnesiaTD, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
3>  Creating makefile for BPAmnesiaTDEditor (working set of source files changed)
3>  Building UnrealHeaderTool...
3>  Target is up to date
3>  Parsing headers for BPAmnesiaTDEditor
3>    Running UnrealHeaderTool "E:\Projects\BPAmnesiaTD 4.12\BPAmnesiaTD.uproject" "E:\Projects\BPAmnesiaTD 4.12\Intermediate\Build\Win64\BPAmnesiaTDEditor\DebugGame\BPAmnesiaTDEditor.uhtmanifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors
3>  Reflection code generated for BPAmnesiaTDEditor in 6.5028647 seconds
3>  Performing 2 actions (8 in parallel)
3>  AmnesiaGameMode.cpp
3>  [2/2] Link UE4Editor-BPAmnesiaTD-Win64-DebugGame.dll
3>     Creating library E:\Projects\BPAmnesiaTD 4.12\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\DebugGame\UE4Editor-BPAmnesiaTD-Win64-DebugGame.lib and object E:\Projects\BPAmnesiaTD 4.12\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\DebugGame\UE4Editor-BPAmnesiaTD-Win64-DebugGame.exp
3>  Total build time: 36.25 seconds
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========