Skeleton Independent Animation Blueprint

I know it’s an old thread, maybe it’s possible with compatable skeleton and animation layers
Screenshot 2022-06-10 190024

Adding it to the compatible list makes it so that it appears in the instance class selection

I haven’t tested it out but the potential might be there

1. Have 2 seperate skeletons, SKEL_Main, SKEL_Extra
  2. Add SKEL_Main to the compatible list in SKEL_Extra
  3. Made an animation layer interface BPI_TestLayer
  4. ABP_Main and ABP_Extra both inherits from BPI_TestLayer
  5. Place linked anim layer node in the anim graph in ABP_Extra
  6. Under instance class, ABP_Main is now selectable

This thread’s been bumped so I’m going to give you two solutions.

Solution 1:
Compile the engine from source so you can edit the skeleton compatibility check(s) which will be performed.

You’ll have to do additional work to ensure stability. For example, ensuring you don’t perform any logic which depends on a specific skeleton which isn’t being used at any given time (perform checks before doing something skeleton-dependent), otherwise you’ll most probably experience a crash.

Solution 2:
Write your own class inheriting from UAnimInstance and then use this as the parent class of your ABPs. For any shared logic, try to keep it inside this C++ class.

You can go as far as setting up the nodes you’d often be creating from within the Blueprint Editor from C++ as well to save you having to do this manually in the Editor if you needed to use a lot of nodes and do this for loads of separate ABPs copies targeting a different skeleton but doing the same thing.

This new feature the compatible skeletons is a hack but works

You can create a fake skeleton for each composable anim node, and then whenever you need to use the composable anim node you add the specific fake skeleton to the compatible list, you just create the composable anim node in this fake skeleton

@AdrenalineRushing i had tried both solutions you said at the time, the way i decided to go was to not have the animation graph at all and create all the calculations in an animation node, so i had to re-create the anim-state machine as a reusable c++ pure state machine that behave on the same rule principle, so now i create the logic in an animation bp and then translate to a custom anim node using these custom tools i had to make

1 Like

(post deleted by author)