Should I even bother posting Unreal Marketplace reviews on the forums?

Please go on reviewing the marketplace assets, TheUnderNetwork.
The overall idea is very good and helpful
Maybe do it with a slightly calmer and ‘to-the-point’ presentation, you obviously needed to blow off some steam, to make it more credible.

The points you make in the videos are all valid, especially the aming in the gun pack, the collision in the tropical pack and so on.
If something like this slips through, it is obvious that the reviewing is not good, or that the standards are just low.
It should be noted that you not only critize: the PhysX pack is good work and you treat it as such!

@All Marketplace contributors with items to sell there, you can stop screaming from the rooftops how enourmously perfect, AAA and professional everything there is ;)

It can not be like that looking at the setup.

Edit: just watched the Realistic Blueprint Weapons video again, and the triple bullets, after firing them, actually move with gun. Like remote controlled bullets. They move sideways after firing them if the character moves sideways. So yes, please do more reviews! It is a good thing for potential buyers!

sure, i never said you should stop doing that :slight_smile:

Please point me to the time in the video that show “remote controlled bullets”.

If you look at this answer video you should be able to see that the bullets are not “remote controlled”. Just watch the debug lines.

It’s quite funny to see and read such delusional posts and videos from someone who apperently has no idea what the purpose of some of the marketplace packs is. And furthermore deflects most of the feedback instead of addressing it.
So I can’t take anything you do seriously if you are not willing to listen to feedback, saying YouTube is not mature, when not even your videos and posts are.

Obviously Marketplace Reviews are a good thing and I myself played with the idea of reviewing. But the way you have them have a few major issues.

1. Your attitude is a “I know it all”, which is extremely off-putting and your “critique” is often times heavly opinion based.

2. You have no idea what you are talking about. This is one of the most distrubing things. For example the

Jungle Base-Assets:

• Very common way to have Rocks/Cliffs which are only visible from one side. It’s made to save Polygons since most of the time you use them for only that way and need no two-sided ones.
  • Also common is to have Buildings not “finished”. Since it’s quite obvious that the Pack was mainly designed for a Top-Down experience there is no need for such things. (Inlcusing realistic scaling)
  • Collisions don’t need to be exact, especially for a Top-Down game.
  • You can’t Climb the ladder? Seriously?

Realistic Weapon Blueprint:

• Apperently you have not read anything on that pack before purchasing it since it is quite obvious designed to be a realistic handling of the bullets from various rifles. Nowhere does ist state that the aiming and animations have been adjusted. It’s a BLUEPRINT pack and not a Realistic Weapons Sample Projekt.
  • Should the creator waste his time in adjusting the animations from Epic when 99% of the people who buy it will use a different model or skeleton instead of the default one? No, since it is not the purpose of that pack. The purpose is to have a realsitic Weapon Blueprint. And that is exactly what you get.

These are just a few points but there a so many things wrong and misleading in your “Reviews”. You expect to buy things where you press one button and BAM: Game is . That is NOT the reality. You buy things to save yourself time and most of the stuff does exactly that. It is not the creators fault that you have no idea how to use the given Blueprints and Assets. And now you are trying to spread your uninformed and misleading opinions.

3:23-3:24 in the review video you see that the bullets are moving wth the character. Seems like the bullet positions are referenced to the character during their lifetime.

But again, please do not take this as bashing or anything. I am not supporting the reviewers attitude and style of presentation either. But at the same time I am also not fond of stretching the idea that the marketplace is only good to give people starting points for their own assets too much. If you pay more than for a common indie steam game, then a certain degree of quality and finishing touches should be there.

I can guarantee you that they are not connected/attached to the player. Please watch the video I posted and watch the debug lines.

But why are they moving with the player?

They are not. It is perspective… just like when you’re outside and you take a step to the left, the sun doesn’t move with you, but stays in place… Remember when you were driving home in the back of the car as a kid? and the moon followed you all the way, Same thing.

The bullets have clear parallax motion to the remaining scene. So it can not be perspective. They are moving on a clear line together with the player, like they were attached to the player. Is the bullet in the local coordiante system of the player maybe? Like with particles, they can move with the player using the local coordinates check box.

Maybe that the reason for the constant aiming offset, because the moment you shoot, the player/gun makes some small movement. (as it looks)

Dude.
With over 500 copies sold, it would be odd if you, after watching a couple of seconds of video, as the only one discover that they are moving with the player in some way.

I can absolutely, guarantee that they are not, in any way, shape or form, moving with the player and/or the gun. I urge you to buy the system, test it, and then, if it turns out that you are right, ask me for a 10x refund. I’ll give you 299$ if you are right.

Have you even watched my linked video?

You take that little marketplace too serious. No need for angry reviews and reply videos and so on. Peace!

Yeah, I take it a little seriously. I have pride in my work.
I’m not angry though, but I am defending my product when false claims are made.

My video response to the original review is calm and collected. I address each of his points, giving credit where is due, and responding with explanations when he is wrong.

well, you do sound a tiny little bit angry when you say ‘not coming out the hip or face’. It’s the way you say face. Just that tiny subtle kind of angry :slight_smile:
And you admit that the supposedly realistic aiming is wrong :wink:
But yeah, no need to get heated up over the marketplace. It’s really just a place from hobby chaps for hobby chaps. Nothing more. The reviews are still a nice idea.

Ok, I try to be calm and collected then. I do my best man :slight_smile:

For the record, the realistic aiming is turned off as default because people prefer it that way. It is completely up to you to turn it on.

This is well and truly what it says on the tin, “Realistic Blueprint Weapons”. Though, plenty of features are added to help people along.

Such game as Tower Unite is using SuperGrid and it made around $300k and Ark used some rock assets from Marketplace which made millions. I’m pretty sure that we will see more such examples with time. Of course using Marketplace was not a reason of success, but it could highly accelerate prototyping phase of real product.
SuperGrid yield more than 20k per year for relatively small amount of time invested in comparison to a full time job. Procedural nature pack doubles or triples SuperGrid total gross numbers.
If you’re able to release good content and consistently satisfy your customers then you could earn more than serious money from Marketplace. Look at PurePolygons numbers - I don’t have exact numbers because it’s a private data, but according to correlation between rating vote count and purchases I can speculate that profit in range of ~70k-100k.Average year salary of senior developer is 95k

You can have your own views about how to look at Marketplace, no one can take that away, but belittling Marketplace won’t change reality of things - it can yield more than a hobby and it yield more than a hobby for some sellers. In Russia average year salary is 6k and in China 9k. This single asset yield me 4 times of average year salary in my home country per one year. And PurePolygons numbers are solid worldwide.

This is why we need serious and objective reviews, user friendly way to distinct good assets from bad and highlight issues of packs which could be improved - this might bring more value to the buyers **and **sellers which in the end will increase profit for Epic. Win-Win-Win situation for everybody.

That’s some nice money that is made by the top sellers. I did not know that. I have to remember to make some assets myself when UE5 comes out and everything is new and there is gold rush time for the first 1-2 years.
Usually, if you make a game, most of the assets on the marketplace are just as one of many in the process. That how you can put your time on the wrong horse. Do not make actual games, but assets for the market place to make money :slight_smile:

But hands down, reason why I post so much , is that I really like the review idea. I would watch them. Many assets we did not buy because we did not see enough of what they can do. For example I would watch a review of the super grid. Even if there are some flaws discovered in that review, those can be polished out be myself, but the infos gathered through that review would more than make the flaws up.

But of course the reviews would have to be properly. Not like this nonsense in the wake of that questionable cancer video. Maybe someone else could do the reviews. (Someone with no affiliations to Epic or the marketplacem, no moderators :slight_smile: )

I agree on this part and I would be highly interested in such videos. It would be great to see the pros and cons of marketplace items live. But what we don’t need is this:

This High-Horse-Vigilante attitude is not something we need as it does not belong to a reviewer but to a regular angry buyer.

Most people forgets the fact that marketplace items will always have their negative sides. They are not there to finish the job but to kickstart or give you the idea on how to approach things.

You want a TRUE well developed gun ready to use with 100+ variables to adjust? Expect to pay 2500 $ then.

Noone should expect an insane quality for 100 $. People at the marketplace are not, and does not have to be AAA developers. Surely there will be mistakes that needs to be corrected and one of them being a marketplace item is not working properly because of an engine update. Other than that, furious vigilante attitude will only get people angry and cause “video response back from developers”, showing that the reviewer did not review good enough.

There are ways of saying things nicer. That’s all.

Want to chime-in on something related. Correct me if I’m wrong but monetizing on review videos off something that you don’t own (if you got refunded) is dubious at best. Moreover, even not monetizing can be questionable too.

Video reviews would be great, but reviewer needs to have a necessary degree of technical expertise and understanding of production pipeline. If it ever happens, it would be something truly beneficial to all of us. We need to keep in mind that many customers don’t leave feedback or communicate with the marketplace developers, which is bad for both parties, as devs might not know if description of product creates proper expectations and for user - perhaps fix was really simple and takes a single email to solve.

Just watched the Footstep BP “Review”

Worst Review i ever say, just started ranting from the beginning without any Explanation. Thats not how a Review should be. Also disabling comments is bad move, can’t handle criticism hm?

I think video reviews of market place content is a great idea that I’d love to see people do.
However I’m not sure OP is the person to do it.
The style that you have found for yourself appears to be based on being purposefully abrasive and clickbaity and generating outrage, it seems to be working well so far so I am not saying that you should stop, just that it contradicts what I would be looking for in an objective reasoned reviewer.

If you do decide to continue down this route I suppose my only suggestion would be to consider what would bring the most value to those looking for marketplace content.
Perhaps focus not just on the bad but also the good.
Highlight the gems that you find, you may find positivity can generate clicks as well as negativity.

Quick grab of a few examples I see: