Shipping Size is double the project size!

While I’m looking into this, the reason I wanted you to try packaging without the .pak file enabled was so that you can compare the content. Are files literally being duplicated? Compare some textures and see if their sizes are bigger.

When it comes to the “create compressed cooked packages” setting, what is wrong with using this? Do you see any sort of detriment in the end result? The pak file is meant for compression in the first place so I don’t see why this would be a problem.

The original size would be the size of the asset in your content folder, so that should be an easy comparison to make. I’ve never heard of any reduction in performance or quality from the compression setting.

Good to know it doesn’t affect performance too much, I’ll probably use that option. I’ll give the non-pak shipping a go anyways, might take a while, I’ll inform back when it’s done.

Got it :slight_smile:

As you can see in the screenshot some assets (a lot of them) are a lot bigger after being packed. Not all of them…in fact, some of them are even smaller than the .uasset as it should. But most of them are really small and are getting packed to a much much bigger size! Much more than double.

The original textures folder (under /Content has 3.31gb, the packed textures folders has 8.74gb. both have 519 files (.uasset to .ubulk, not couting the small 1kb .uassets and .uexp files that are present in the .pak folder, those don’t seem to be the cause…they amount to 1mb(ish) ).

Edit: Now that I think about it, do you think this is because (maybe) they were imported as .png or some other format and the engine is converting them to .tga upon shipping? I don’t know the original format of them…just taking a guess here.

I apologize for the delay, I haven’t had a chance to look further into this but what you mentioned about the image format could be the case. Does the size issue only occur with the Texture files and nothing else?

Yes only texture files and only Some of them, not all. On any case using the compressed pak file you recommended solves it for me. let me know if you need anything else from me, but my problem is kind of solved and I wouldn’t want to waste Epic’s resources/time while there might be more important issues. Speaking of which, I am not sure if it’s your area or not but If it is maybe you could take a look at my other report about vulkan runtimes being needed (and not included) on directx only projects?

Yes only texture files and only Some of them, not all. On any case using the compressed pak file you recommended solves it for me. let me know if you need anything else from me, but my problem is kind of solved and I wouldn’t want to waste Epic’s resources/time while there might be more important issues. Speaking of which, I am not sure if it’s your area or not but If it is maybe you could take a look at my other report about vulkan runtimes being needed (and not included) on directx only projects? Thanks