Server to server travel, and world persistence

That sort of does.

Does this mean that there is a dedicated server instance for all play-sessions currently running? Players are just dynamically connected to that server as and when the game needs it to?

Hey @UEtopia I’m interested in using this, how do you plan on releasing this? Marketplace?

He said he would be releasing it as open source. :slight_smile:

@UEtopia

Got two suggestions.

1. Being able to look into a room from another room across the network. Similar to a portal.
    Here is some details on what I mean. Tom's Programming Blog: Portal Rendering with Offscreen Render Targets

2. Being able to know the state of the server. Boot up, Loading, Ready, etc. Would be awesome to have.

Yep. #2 is already in. I show it in my demo as the color changing. You could represent the different states in your game however you want.

Wow this looks awesome. Could this be used for something like an instanced based game system? I’m thinking along the lines of having a main world and when you get a quest/mission from an npc that would unlock that particular area for that particular player or group of players. My thinking is that, showing my age here, when SWG was around the biggest aggrivation was going to do a mission and having someone there farming your objective for xp. Where as in Dungeons and Dragons Online, many of the quests were in their own instance that only the player that had that quest could enter and if someone else not grouped with them that had the same quest would enter a seperate instance of it. I haven’t come up with a way to work that into my projects and this sounds like it would be a good way to do it.

Hi Darktrooper. Great suggestion. I follow you. I have a soft spot in my heart for SWG as well!

You’d have some servers that would be persistent, and others that would be transitory/instanced. The persistent servers would stick around, and the instances would just get deleted when the users are done with them.

It’s totally possible. And yes, this system would be well suited to it.

I’ll work on it!

Hey UEtopia, you are doing a great work.

I´ll give a detailed look into it soon, but I would like to try it out by myself.

Keep up the good work and feel free to share your ideas/progress or even code (if you are up to that) to the community, I´m sure a lot of people like me will thank you for that.

• Nes

Walkthrough posted.

I just posted a detailed walk-through.

cec2a2731ca0026c6ca7200ca4d285c56541d442.jpeg

I’ve been busy integrating OSS friends and the related functionality. This is a screenshot from the competitive demo, but friends is part of the Online Subsystem and will work in this demo as well.

Here is a quick demo of the recent players, friends, and party functionality.

Darktrooper and Kris, you asked for it. Instanced server support is now in.

Host private instances, party instances, or group instances inside your game, without having to build any special back end functionality.

Have you heard of SpatialOS? I feel like this is doing something very similar. Thoughts?

https://improbable.io/games

I’ve looked at it briefly. I’ve never tried it, so I can’t really comment on it.