Download

RuntimeMeshImportExport - Import and Export runtime created static meshes using Assimp library

@Ronan_3DCS Thats more like it?

Capture.PNG.jpg

I messed up the composing of transforms with version 1.6

@Rumbleball That looks great! And the orientation was my own fault, I didn’t convert the axis to UE4s Z-up…but I guess there’s a feature request for ya.
When will you be pushing out an update?
Thanks

Edit:: Got your PM, thanks!

I can’t auto correct the rotation as every programm writes the transforms different. You need to find the programm and export format you can work with, then set a fixed transform for correction.

Unreal also does not do that when importing as StaticMesh into the editor.

Hi,

I’m trying to use your plugin to import .gltf and .glb files with their material into my scene at runtime. I have managed to import the assets into the scene at runtime but I am not sure how to extract the material info into a useable material and then apply it to the mesh.

How would you do this? and is it possible?

Your code seems fine. Where exactly is your problem? The material must provide Parameters (Vector/Scalar/Texture) with the appropriate names printed with MaterialInfoToLogString.
I can only repeat myself regarding the Material import: strong dependency on exporting tool, what the file format supports and how assimp retrieves the data from the file.

@**jimlacube **As Rumbleball said you need to create a material that matches with the right parameter names and use that as source material in your “Material Info to Dynamic Material”. Here is my material example:

All those parameters are filled by the importer (if available). Now it depends what you want to use and what your file brings with it. This example is based on an obj import that comes with an mtl file. In my case the mtl file contains all kind of material infos like Ni, Diffuse, TexDiffuse and so on.

As you can see I only use a few (also work in progress) but the material info contains so much more. Just start somewhere but stick to the naming convention that way you make sure the “Material Info to Dynamic Material” replaces/sets the correct values. Whoever created the .gltf and .glb files should be able to tell you what material parameter it provides.

Thank you for the reply, I managed to work out that I needed to create a dynamic material for the mesh.

Hi.
I tried sample project #2.
But I couldn’t find how to apply material information to imported FBX.
Do you have any sample project file it can apply material information to imported FBX’s material?

you don’t apply the information to the FBX file, you read it out of the file, if the exporting tool wrote them and assimp read them. Example code in #2.

Thank you for the reply.
And I’m sorry. I asked a wrong question.
I was trying to ask about how to apply the material to imported mesh when import the FBX.
I mean when I import FBX file, the Mesh appears without any materials.I attached some screenshots.
Could you tell me how it works and could you give me a sampleProject?
I’m sorry for my poor English.

I modified the documentation regarding material data import in #1](RuntimeMeshImportExport - Import and Export runtime created static meshes using Assimp library - Unreal Engine Forums) a bit, see if you can work with that.

Hi, I am very interested in this plugin and considering buying it. I have a few very basic questions to ask since I cannot find more informative demo video showcasing the plugin’s capabilities.

1. Does the plugin just require a supported base version of Unreal Engine or there are some other plugins to install before installing and using your plugin? I have nevered used ASSIMP and not sure if I should do anything first to make sure your plugin can work with UE.
  2. I just need to import static meshes without materials and I would like to adjust imported objects’ materials in runtime. Therefore, I am wondering if the imported mesh actors would have some definite names so that I can cast to them to adjust materials.

Thanks!

1: Assimp library is included in the Plugin. Just install the plugin and you are good to go.

1. Imported mesh data returns the name for each mesh object and its material

Thanks a lot! I am in the industry of architecture and I making some design games using UE. Your plugin means I can build games with readymade dynamic lighting environments and import meshes from CAD programs to do real-time renderings in packaged games. That is just awesome

@Rumbleball,Hi, I have purchased this plug-in,I have a few questions for you
1、How does the export change the scale of a static mesh?
2、I tried to modify through make transform (GetMeshData), but scale didn’t work, and rotation worked

Are you talking about the transform “correction” that is part of the parameters passed to the export function?
OR
Are you trying to modify the mesh data directly (modifying vertex positions) in GetMeshData interface function?

The export itself does not change anything if not told by the user.

I want to directly modify the mesh data,What should I do in the blueprin(Sorry, I’m a beginner)

Then you would just multiply the vertex with a scale factor (float) or scale vector .

for each vertex: vertex *= scale

OR

you can just set a different transform (“meshToWorld”) for the exported mesh data.

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any luck packing this plugin with Android, specifically Oculus Quest?

@Rumbleball,Do you know this Plugin(Mesh Boolean Operations)? Can export the Mesh generated by this plugin (runtime)? thanks