Root Motion is applying but not moving my character

Dude this checklist is GOLD. It is so frustrating to have to click a million checkboxes and buttons, I understand EPIC is trying to help us, but if they have a million checkboxes, they should also have enough documentation (No, the root motion page is not sufficient), I don’t understand why I should change the root motion settings both in the class default and in the animations? Changing it just in the animations is not enough?

What jmalaska said is PERFECT! I had the EXACT issue for a long time an was so frustrated and his fourth bullet point fixed it. Thank you so much!

Next would be to verify the Anim BP is setup ok. In the ABP’s “Anim Preview Editor” go into the “Edit Defaults” rollout. For now just set “Root motion mode” to “Root motion from everything”.

Checklist is solid. My ‘capsule-not-following-rootmotion’ was due to not using the “Mesh (Inherited)
Original problem: I’ve added a skeletal mesh to my component list, that will not drive the capsule now.

1 Like

6 years later I’m having a similar issue. I’ve noticed that it helps to disable the collision when climbing ledge is true, as well as gravity, to let the root motion do its thing. Definitely, a pretty hacky solution.

None of these work for me. I am on my second climbing system, this one from Ryan Laley. I’ve checked all the options above and then some. All my character will do is jump to the wall / ledge and perform the climb animation in mid-air.

I was struggling with similar issues, and bumped into this topic. Nothing mentioned above helped; however, this Root Motion in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation helped. Just went through all steps, and everything’s working great now.
Just for information, my animation was correct, I only had to turn on every check box in RootMotion section of Animation.

This solved my problem! I was using a simple Actor BP, I changed it to a Character BP

1 Like