River House

I agree it’s about selling a product and making money, but every project in the exact same style seems wrong to me - there’s a disconnect to the design process. It’s all a bit homogeneous in our field at the moment, and I think we can do the selling and making money in a more interesting manner, one where we create a product that is informed by what came before us. It’s not gonna be for everyone anyway.

That’s a great image - I’m certainly not questioning your credentials now either!

Hi guys, I appreciate all the critique. :slight_smile:

In hindsight some shots are fairly dark (the first interior shot in particular), and would probably not be a great selling point for a house. For this project I went a more exploratory/learning route as opposed to making something that was intended to literally show all of the architectural elements – I suppose I would classify this less as Arch Viz and probably more as just a normal UE Scene. In the future I hope to focus more on the architectural component and probably work off of someone else’s design as this was all my design and I have literally zero architectural background.

MIR is a huge inspiration for me. I love their unconventional approach to the mood and atmosphere of their renderings.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and glad you guys enjoy the work but I’m also glad that there can be a discussion about design and purpose. :slight_smile:

My favorite studio at the moment is Labtop, if you like unconventional yet it still does what a rendering should do and that’s create excitement and sell a design/project they are doing it.

I think that your oppinion is getting too strong here, this work is unique in many levels, archiviz today is boring, like most of the ideas you showed, today we achieve realism allready easly, and all you pointed about what archiviz “is”, it’s not, it’s just what almost everyone thinks about it now, this, until somebody that sees and makes different show us a better way to do it, don’t be so retrogade aprecciate art where you see it, not on a product allready done and set to be a standard, for me that is ridiculous.

Let’s keep it civil here. It’s ok to have a different opinion.

, for someone with no architectural background, you have produced some really beautiful work. I think this shows the benefit of disciplinary cross-pollination - a different way of looking at work in an industry that is in my opinion, a touch staid and boring right now. Look forward to your future work.

Yeah these guys are great! I think this actually exhibits my point quite well, that being - every building/environment demands a different response, and I think the project has produced would not at all suit a hyper-lit, idealized representation style you might see from the standard archviz studio. Of course, you may disagree, and we’ve now got a good conversation going, which is the point of posting on a forum!

Let’s keep it civil here. It’s ok to have a different opinion.

, for someone with no architectural background, you have produced some really beautiful work. I think this shows the benefit of disciplinary cross-pollination - a different way of looking at work in an industry that is in my opinion, a touch staid and boring right now. Look forward to your future work.

Yeah these guys are great! I think this actually exhibits my point quite well, that being - every building/environment demands a different response, and I think the project has produced would not at all suit a hyper-lit, idealized representation style you might see from the standard archviz studio. Of course, you may disagree, and we’ve now got a good conversation going, which is the point of posting on a forum!
[/QUOTE]

My only critique of the OP’s video is that when the image is 90% black imo it does not serve the purpose of Architectural rendering/video. That has nothing to do with what is current in terms of style or pushing the envelope, the fact is that it is about the Architecture and you can’t lose sight of that no matter what the style.

Respectfully disagree on multiple aspects of that statement but I don’t think I’m going to convince you of anything anytime soon and vice versa.

Respectfully disagree on multiple aspects of that statement but I don’t think I’m going to convince you of anything anytime soon and vice versa.
[/QUOTE]

Just curious what’s your background, are you an Architect? Do you work in the field? For how long and with whom? Post a link to your work, I’d like to see it.

Since everyone has agreed MIR does good work here is one of their very dark images yet you can still see the forms of the building, the only thing that is black or almost black is across the river. I think it’s successful in that they didn’t lose the building in blackness, that is the difference imo of what makes it acceptable.

26299da01efb29219d7415e4535def9f1d31ebf9.jpeg

Cinematography, stile, authorial art, that is why I don’t like fast food a boxed something that is allways the same, that is really sad, but I will not argue against that ,it’s indeed a matter of opinion or understanding, i think I do understand, but some people may not.

I work with architecture for about 10 years, and I’m amazed with this work, congratulations.

I think this facebook post by MIR explains their workflow. It’s pretty much how I imagined they would work with clients.

https://www.facebook.com/mirnorway/photos/a.208420012432.158919.208381847432/10154216359477433/?type=3&theater