Hi, first of all I wan’t to say that I apologise for doing something I always try to avoid; posting in a forum at the start of a project asking for help, however the project I am looking to do is not a “I wan’t to make a game and make lots of money” type thing, but rather a personal learning experience wherein I hope to learn skills that I can use in the future. So I apologise for the setup but I hope it isn’t too sickening to read
I am new to game development… well I haven’t ever gotten past making a very simple room to walk around with the default mannequin yet, however I want to make sure I head in the right direction for what I want to achieve. Basically I am looking for some ideas of where to start with it all. I have a list of end goals and I would prefer to end up with a private ‘paradise’ where I have the results of all my goals for me to reflect on.
My goals are:
- Make a planet (now by this I don’t mean to do it without “tricks” rather I want to have zones with some form of in game (non loading screen) loading and eventually coming round to the start and preferably being able to head to space and in space be able to see the planet (although no detail so that it can be a bit of an illusion))
- Integrate some form of VR support
- Have bone limits - meaning limbs only bend certain directions etc
- Be upgradable to support some form of oculus touch type device support
- Be able to damage things by contact (i.e. rather than click to sledgehammer a wall, click and swing mouse and when it hits wall the animation is played and results shown)
- Have a in game UI for inventory, rather than a menu overlay (think maybe fake holographic visual held in a hand)
- Character customisation
- Animal AI
- Some building system
- ‘Realistic’ destruction physics
- Eventual feedback (vibration or something) based on touching something in game
- ‘True’ first person
Now I understand that this is a large list but these are end goals, that I expect to take years upon years to even get close to. I have very little game design skills, but I do have some programming knowledge I can bring to the table, not much but a start. I am hoping to be able to learn this and eventually build this ‘personal world’ where I can test out things and go to to look back at my progress…
So yeah that’s all, if anyone can point me in some starting directions or give feedback on any of the ideas. I want to be a part of what I see as the future of gaming, which to me is the host of new technologies coming into the mix, so the learning is most important.
Thanks for reading!