Real internet radio stations in your game (like American truck simulator)

Does anyone know how to include this in Unreal Engine?
Like when you play Euro Truck Simulator or American Truck Simulator. There you can listen to real BBC internet stations and the so on while driving your truck. It is the feature! There are endless stations.
For example, when driving to Stockholm today, I learned that Beyoncé has surprise-released a new album and I listened to a nice discussion about Obama’s London visit last week…

1 Like

Some more research on the Topic:

Apparently UE4 has FMOD integrated, a gaming audio solution.
http://www.fmod.org/fmod-studio-unreal-engine-4-now-available/
FMOD also allows to convert internet radio streams into playable in-game audio, so basically allows to set up a radio for your driving game that play real life stations.

Having real life stations playing while playing is just really cool.

Wouldn’t Copyright be an issue here?

no, internet radio is free. For example BBC Radio 1 has their normal radio and the same material is used for what is called ‘second usage’ (‘Zweitnutzung’ in german) to be streamed over the internet. There are some restrictions to what can be streamed (no super recent sports results and stuff), but 90% of the normal radio content is on the internet radio as well. All songs certainly.
I was trucking to Glasgow yesterday and suddenly they put on Forever Young by Alphaville at BBC1! Supercool!

Music like this suddenly in your game! from 1:15min

1 Like

Now online radio stations don’t have to worry about copyright issues anymore, you can use radio online to add to the game, it contains all the sub stations. As real as you are driving a tractor and listening to the radio

1 Like