Random crash - Access violation - code c0000005

no matter if its BP or C++
try looking for a actor where you try to get an owner

Hi drakky,

Are you still seeing this crash? Was 3HMonkey’s suggestion below of any help?

Nothing Yet :frowning:

Hi drakky,

We’ve had several bug and crash fixes since this was posted; unfortunately I could never find any that reproduced your exact crash.

At this point, I’d like to see if you can make a copy of your project and open it in the 4.8 previews and see if you are able to reproduce the crash. If so, a fresh crash log (and even a build output log) would be extremely helpful, as the log you’ve posted above is different from the one I was able to locate in Crash Reporter from 4/29.

Lemme know if that works.

Sorry for the Delay. I have tried running out project in 4.8 preview but when i try to run it it says it has compiler errors, and when i try run it through VS it cannot find the .exe. Any ideas how to fix that?

Hey drakky,

Not right off-hand. Are you seeing the compiler errors in your build output log, and if so can you link that to this thread? You’re not seeing a crash now, though, is that correct?

Thanks!

This error comes by using a NULL Pointer. You have a Pointer variable that you are using although it is NULL. Make sure you always check your pointers with something like “if(MyPointer)”. In BP you have the “IsValid” node to check if a reference/Pointer variable is NULL or not. You need to fill these variables. They are not like int or float variables. They represent an actor that is spawned and active in your game, so as long as you don’t reference a specific actor (like the player or something) these variables are null.

Check out my short tutorial on pointers and Access none error:

I don't really think that you get much from letting Epic find the variable you are using although you shouldn't, because you need to learn to avoid these error beforehand! (:

the video is unavailable, really hoping to figure out how to avoid this issue as it is happening almost every week now for me