Question about Windows XP support

Regretablly this is the future…

You can use it on Linux though! :slight_smile:

According to the Steam hardware survey, 85% of users have 64-Bit Windows and 95% have Windows 7 or greater and 80% have a DX11 GPU or better. There’s no point supporting an outdated feature that few people will use.

Hey guys I have been away from using Unreal Engine 4 fro a month and a half. Lots of work and other stuff I had to do in real life.

So I just read Unreal Engine 4.9 notes, which has no plans for Windows XP 64-bit support and DirectX 9 support. Unreal Engine 4.8 had some Windows code updates but no mention of Windows XP 64-bit support.

Please Epic Games, Please add Windows XP 64-bit support and DirectX 9 support to Unreal Engine 4. I also just got a person who I know in real life to help me on my project as of this month and he also wants to work on Windows XP.

I know Microsoft stopped Windows XP support in April 2014.

Please Epic Games consider the support.

Thank you!

Hmmm, did you tried building Win64 with XP fixes on? It might work…

WinXP 64-bit was experimental, it hard to find working drivers for it, so if it does not work… i think you will see DirectX 9 support faster :stuck_out_tongue: Also don’t expect editor will work, the WinXP thing was made only for “without editor” builds.

Happy Late New Years to Epic Games.

I;m hoping for 2016 Epic Games adds Windows XP 64-bit support and DirectX 9 support

Interestingly Windows XP 32-bit grew by 0.01% on the Steam Hardware Survey for this month.

Because those are VERY different, and it will be either very hard or nearly impossible to transfer UE4 rendering features onto DX9 hardware.

Instead of DX9, you’ll really want to stick with OpenGL 4. OGL 4 is pretty much equivalent to either DX10 or DX11 (depending on OpenGL version), and you’ll have all those extra features like geometry shaders on XP. There’s no point in going back to DX9.

Getting your GL-based project to run on WinXP should require less changes either way.

Epic will add the DX12 stable version probably this year or next idk why you need DX9 (DX10/DX11/DX12) if you don’t have support for DX10 you got a real problem with a older computer than 8 years and Windows XP is not more supported.

*Metro Redux versions don’t work DX9 from what I know and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is from 2010. Welcome to the future we are in 2016 and the games will use DX12.

It’s true… Time marches on!

In my opinion, Windows XP is quite old and I still don’t know why people still use it.
You can tell me it runs on a lot of computers. Yes that’s true, but so Windows 10.

Both Windows XP and DirectX 9 were heavily used a long time. I also used DX9 a lot for my own programs. But I like new tech, I will try everything new that seems interesting.

It wasn’t that hard to go from DX9 To the new API (If I remember correctly Microsoft even posted a conversion table from DX9 to the new API).

If people run on Windows XP they are literally asking to be hacked.

Windows XP was very good, Windows 10 is the new Windows XP for me. Try it out. ^^

I like using new technology as well, but Windows XP still has it’s uses, I don’t really do anything online with Windows XP so I’m not all that likely to get hacked.

I will stick to using Windows XP and DirectX 9 for another 10 years or 10+ years.

Personally I don’t care if DirectX 9 has Tessellation like DirectX 11 and so on.

Video games can still be developed using DirectX 9 and running on Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit. There’s even a 64-bit capable build of DirectX 9.

You can have most if not all modern features on WinXP if you use OpenGL 4.

While you have a point of XP having its uses, there’s absolutely zero reason to stick with DirectX 9.
It is only available (officially) for windows, and it is not being actively maintained anymore.

I can’t think of any reason to keep using XP, it doesn’t have any uses

Will you support Amiga 1200 I loved it!

I know you can have the modern features with OpenGL 4.x+. The problem is I get a headache from using OpenGL I’m not too experienced with OpenGL like I am with DirectX.

DirectX 9 works in WINE at least on Linux and Mac. I don’t care if DirectX 9 is not maintained anymore I just want to use it to develop video games on Windows XP and nostalgia’s sake for fun. I see there are jokes people saying support the Amiga 1200 too! Or support Windows 95 as well, well those are too old now and shouldn’t be supported. Windows XP and DirectX 9 still has a place for a little while longer.

I’m **** proud of the people who are still sticking to Windows XP and DirectX 9 only PC versions of video games.

Suit yourself, but I’d recommend to transition.

APIs are not incredibly different, it is just that OpenGL operates on Handles instead of using interfaces.

Meaning that instead of

ISomeResource::Lock(....)

You get something along the lines of:

typedef UINT32 SomeResourceHandle;
glLockSomeResource(SomeResourceHandle handle, ....);

That pattern applies throughout entire API.

You can wrap that up in your own classes, and it won’t be much difference between using OpenGL/DirectX.

OpenGL 2.0 is roughly similar to DirectX9, if you want “nostalgia”.

Add LibSDL to that, and you’ll get fully cross-platform code for your app.

Last time It tried that it wasn’t perfect, but that was few years ago.

AMIGA jokes are silly, but on other hand there’s no point in feeling proud because of your choice of operating system.

When working with higher level engine, like UE4, you usually don’t deal with direct API calls yourself, so underlying architecture doesn’t matter. If you want some sort of retro coding, you could probably grab something like Irrlicht, Allegro 2.0, Sauerbraten, write your own wrapper of libsdl, or do something similar.

Or you coudl write a fork. BUt IIRC you are likely to run into issues there, since (IIRC) Unreal 4 relies heavily on deferred rendering, and that wasn’t a big or frequently used thing back when DX9 was the primary.

UE4 does support Windows XP, Epic added this support regarless of some people didn’t like that for odd some reason, so it’s more people wish for.

I’m still wondering if Epic Games will add DirectX 9 support to Unreal Engine 4. Yes DirectX 9 is old, but reading notes for 4.12 nothing is mentioned. I hope Epic Games adds it in 4.17 or 4.18. I want to continue to use DirectX 9, nostalgia or I don’t know why, but I just want to keep on using DirectX 9. Unity 5 still supports DirectX 9.

Sure Unreal Engine 4 relies heavily on deferred rendering, but what’s to stop Epic Games employees from writing the DirectX 9 renderer to Unreal Engine 4. China is Windows XP land anyways at least I still think it is even with this Windows 10 push MicroSoft is doing.

Just last month I read a article saying there are still 181 million PC’s world wide with Windows XP installed on them, sure most of those PC’s are for businesses, government agencies, and schools and not from most PC gamers.

Outside of Steam’s Hardware Survey I think at least 10+ million PC gamers are still using Windows XP + Windows XP 64-bit combined.

Please Epic Games add DirectX 9 support to Unreal Engine 4 and try for Windows XP 64-bit.

Certain things are (very) difficult if not impossible to do with D3D9.
But you can still target WinXP using OpenGL.

HTH

If you’re running an XP machine you don’t have a gaming computer. There’s no reason to support XP

If you are running Windows 10, you are running a Virus !

Just like a virus, Windows 10 sneaks into your computer, uploads all your private & confidential data to NSAtc and Microsoft, uploads itself to other devices, all without your explicit permission or knowledge.

I’d take Windows XP any day over a OEM Virus infected system !