PROTOBALL - A Futuristic Sports Game

I wont show all the things, but I can share a few more gifs of the shield I made.

3rd person shield.

3rd person shield fade in/out.

And when the shield is being thrown at another enemy:

1 Like

People have been telling me about this lately, and it’s crazy that I didn’t play it because I was pretty much addicted to UT2K for a good year or so when I was younger… Hopefully you’ll love Protoball even more!

And dayumn Luos! One of those forum tags under your name needs to read “Cascade Sorcerer!”

Digging how everything’s looking so far! :slight_smile:

i think the name of that ut99 mod was “fragball” and was released in like 2000-2002, but not sure about that.
you should not even compare it to yours. it was a mess :P.

btw have you experimented with the “magnus effect”/ball curving?
i tried something like that lately:

This looks brilliant, shame I’m probably not skilled enough to contribute but I would love to play a demo/alpha/beta and give feedback.

Thanks! I wish I could take most of the credit for the appearance, but that’s actually where all the team members have gone above and beyond my initial vision! Everyone has added their own flair and touch to it, and will continue to do so. It’s been evolving in a way that has been quite a pleasure to be a part of. I’m glad you like it!

Haha that’s good to hear. The whole sports themed e-sports genre is super new so the bars are kind of just being set I guess. Although Rocket League set the polish/graphics bar pretty high… I really like what they’ve done.

About the magnus effect-as a golfer I’m quite familiar with it! We have incorporated a curve ball into the game, though it needs some more work before it will be useful. Specifically the mechanics of using it need work- currently you hold Q or E and shoot to curve the ball :

Thank you! Stay tuned!

Also, we’ve had some requests for NO HUD at all… I’m thinking it’s a decent idea. Maybe even no score/time, just posted up in the arena like a real sporting event. You’ll still kind of have a cross hair in FPS view because of how the ball looks when you’re holding it in front of you. What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Luos has been doing some awesome stuff with refraction! If you’re around when he’s streaming you should definitely check it out; Twitch

We didn’t manage to snag an exclusive with Luos just yet so he streams a variety of things & projects, not just Protoball!

Here’s his latest display - bending space & time :

1 Like

Having no HUD would possibly be annoying, but if the time and score were instead posted on an giant in-game screen for everyone to see, that would be cool.

Perhaps we’ll have it optional if we do it at all. We do have an awesome Jumbotron though!

Although it would need it’s placement reconsidered if we weren’t going to have score & time displayed on the HUD. Currently the action is too fast-paced and you’re always trying to get back in defensive position or chase down the ball, I rarely ever look up at the HUD in game.

Some very interesting work you have there. Keep it up! I love seeing games go from pre-alpha to visually appearing near release. I would definitely consider checking it out on stream if I were told it was out!

Is this made with C++ or blueprints (or a mix)?

Thank you so much! All the support and kind words really means a lot to us!

So Luos and eXi have been doing some cool streams whilst working on Protoball!

They’re in Europe though, so I normally miss when they start streaming and wake up to it, which is nice with my morning Coffee! If you follow our three twitter’s I’m sure you’ll be made aware of when some streaming starts, I always post stream links on twitter when I can/am aware.

https://twitter.com/ProtoballGame
https://twitter.com/exifrexi
https://twitter.com/Luos_83

It is made with a mix of c++ and blueprints! A lot of game-play related stuff is BP and multiplayer/networking is a lot of code.

eXi & Luos may have some more content coming up, but the next week/week and a half are going to be mellow. Mid-July we’ll be expanding our play-test group and revealing some more footage!

small update on the goal. wip.

Just a quick teaser. Sorry we haven’t been posting a lot, but that’s actually good news because a lot of tedious, non-glamorous work has been done!

e; the trash talk is real, the spirit of competition is high, and everyone is feeling great!

Hey everyone, another update- things have been going great!

We’re going to be integrating the next build into Steam, which means we’ll be able to distribute keys to new play-testers! That means you! If you sign up on www.protoballgame.com we’ll be sending keys out to EVERYONE on the list once we’re ready.

In the mean time, here’s another little sneak peek!

https://twitter.com/ProtoballGame

Looks fantastic, keep up the good work!

Hello everyone! We’re glad to announce that we’ll be Kickstarting and entering Early Access in July! As a kind of pre-kickstarter we’ve started a Gleam.IO give-away for 10 free copies of the final version of a Protoball. We have a partnership with Alienware and next month we’ll be giving away an Alienware Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard as part of the Kickstarter Gleam contest. Any help from the UE4 community would be greatly appreciated!

If you join the discord you can come play with us! We’re giving out free alpha keys with the Protoball Bot! Just type !dev.freekey in the discord (Join the discord from the Gleam link above!). ALso you can see the newest Early Access trailer from the Gleam link, and finally you can find us on Steam here : Protoball on Steam

Tomorrow, Thursday the 28th, we’ll be holding a scheduled playtest officially around 8pm EST, but casually all day long, feel free to hop in and play with us!

I’ve just updated the OP, and also I’ve made an info graphic for how you can come play with us RIGHT NOW!

We’ll be starting our Kickstarter campaign next Wednesday, July 25th! As part of our campaign we’ll be giving away an Alienware Gaming Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard, as well as free copies of the full game! I hope some of you will stop by and play a few matches with us!

Hello everyone! I’m not going to update the first post just yet, but I would like to remind all of our friends & family here at the Epic Forums that Protoball has never been better!

Tonight at 8pm EST is Community Game night. Download on Steam and Join the Discord and can come play with the developers.

We’ll also stream the event at twitch.tv/protoballgame

If you’re an old-school play tester that hasn’t booted up in a while, or if you’re a first time Protoballer you’re going to love the game. Come play with us tonight and find out!

The Open Beta is currently free to download on Steam - We recommend doing the tutorial and practice arena to get a “feel” for the movement and ball physics.

We’ll be doing a major update later this month with more detailed information, but for now come play with us tonight! 8pm EST! (7 hours 20 minutes from this post!)

Hey Everyone, back again with a quick update. We’re nearing an Early Access release, hopefully in September! So we’re doing a bit of a dev crunch this month.

In the meantime our lead developer AND animator couldn’t help himself… he really changed the game AGAIN :

(open the gif/vid in a new tab to avoid choppy playback)

Is anyone here also old enough to have played Jet Set Radio when it was newish?

After two weeks of testing rail grinds we think we’re going to put them in every Sport map (probably in Dodgeball maps too), it is just SO MUCH FUN. Hopefully some of our new users are from these forums :slight_smile: and we hope to see more of you in the arena!

This is really compelling imagery. I’d like to see any updates that are available.