Proper way to save various game settings?

That’s not a proper way at all. You should not save setting as “save game” object. USaveGame class is to save your game - it’s designed to always exist as UObject with read/write functions. Also it’s uploaded to cloud by Steam/PSN/Google Play as save game. You don’t want game settings to be uploaded to cloud, you want them to be local, and just have easy write/read function without need to keep alive USaveGame object. Try this instead: config files are designed for exactly that UGameUserSettings | Unreal Engine Documentation

4 Likes

Sure maybe fr a C++ project, but cannot find a way to save settings via blueprint only.

I was trying to create save files for UI settings such as scale, color etc. I would love to not use Save Game class, but not finding any other class to use or info on net for a different type of save object where I can create my own variables and save locally for a settings file? Am I missing something? (Regarding using User Game Settings Nodes)

If saving to a Save Slot is not proper, what other method is there for saving Game specific settings of any type of custom variable such as UI colors, UI Scale, Showing UI Icon Overlays Etc.? All I can find is using a Save Game Slot…

Thanks. That doc doesn’t say much though. Is there a proper tutorial on this? Where exactly and how are the settings saved?