Procedurally placed objects

Moved over to C# to prototype some generation logic. Here is my result so far. (10px = bush, 5px = smaller bush, 1px = flower)

Great work hallatore, Getting really nice results using this… one thing i could not getting working was the ForestTileActor, it crashes when i click render in editor

The ForestTileActor is quite outdated. It probably doesn’t handle all the changes in TileActor that I made for FoliageTileActor.

Ah ok, is it possible to add random scaling to the Tileactor?

Object scaling? you have that under min/max scaling of the mesh.

Lol, I can’t believe i didn’t even see that, Thanks

The width/size part of the scaling is the noise pattern. It scales based on perlin noise. So if you want very random scaling just put a small number like 100 or 10 in the size.

I have noticed that for a tree, the mesh is higher then the terrain, but for a rock mesh it’s lower then the terrain, maybe an option to sink and raise mesh will be useful?

That sounds like the default placement for the mesh itself is wrong. Does this happen when you drag & drop the mesh onto the scene?
It should be easy to add an VerticalOffset value to AFoliageTileActor and then do something like ‘HitData.ImpactPoint.Z + VerticalOffset’ here: https://github.com/hallatore/TileActor/blob/master/Source/Landscape_1/Private/FoliageTileActor.cpp#L187

Feel free to make a pull request of it :wink:

I tried drag & drop, you are correct the placement for the mesh is wrong, but the rock still are half way in the ground even with a drag and drop, adding that option would be great, I have no idea how to use github or know what a pull request is? lol

hi,
i was just wondering how to compare this to the UE4 foliage volume tool .

great job btw <3

The foliage tool is a quality product, this is a prototype/almost-working/thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, have you tried using this tool on non-flat Landscape-based terrain or on non-flat static mesh terrain ?

It works well with non-flat lanscape. But right now it stops if there are other static objects above it. It does a single line trace and if it hits something other than lanscape it doesn’t place the object.

Pushed my initial (prototype) code for the FoliageGroupTileActor last night. It can simulate placements as shown in the picture below.

While the FoliageTileActor places only 1 mesh, the FoliageGroupTileActor can have multiple groups with multiple items that again have multiple meshes. Since it simulates multiple items it also avoids placing stuff on top of each other.

Since the simulation takes a couple of ms to complete I had to do it on a separate thread. It was fun to learn how to do background tasks, and the result so far looks promising :slight_smile:

&d=1491087907

Here is a demo of the FoliageGroupTileActor and how to set something up.
It’s just barely working, but fun to play around with. :slight_smile:

Screenshots from the end result.

Oooh, niceee!!!

FREAKING AMAZING hallatore!

As crazy as it sounds I want to use Proc Foliage Painting on Characters and other Entities to create some interesting looking monsters, and apocalyptic scenes with overgrowth, ruins/garbage/clutter. Is this possible with your method?

Has there been progress on this?