Plugins now accepted - What do you need?

How to you would distribute the source code for a plugin? Via a private GitHub repo or is it up to the developer to handle access to the code base for users that are entitled to the plugin?

As a designer and not a coder, I don’t care about the source code. All I want a plugin to do is:

1. Install into the engine or project, depending on the type of plugin. Or install it into the engine, with a checkbox to enable or disable it in the project.

2. Compile the plugin with the project w/o the need to copy folders around.

3. If I need to interact with what the plugin is doing or its feature set, I should be able to do so in Blueprints.

The source code is all good to provide to Epic so that they can analyze it to make sure we’re not downloading “weird” stuff that will break machines (ie: No malicious code).

I cannot wait to create and submit some plugins. :smiley:

Personally, I would/will not buy a plugin if it does not come with a source code, this is 2015 not 1995 after all.

And, I don’t care how great the plugin might be, even if it had a “Make Art” button…

Having the source code ensures:

• use on all platforms;

• enhance/change the plugin as needed;

• not having to rely on the developer to fix things in a timely fashion;

• in case of a developer going awol, the code is there for future engine versions.

To be honest, source code is very useful to user if author decides not to continue development, while the plugin itself has become too important to discard. Probably Epic can act as sort of ‘source code eschrow’ whereas had the plugin been discontinued, user can download the plugin from Epic and compile it themselves. Or probably even better, plugin architecture is such that it is always compatible across major version ie 4.7 plugin remain usable under UE 4.9.

I have been bitten with similar cases where buying plugin certainly does the job for the current version. But then later on (months later), when some changes are required and the SDK version has changed, plugins no longer work… and for many cases, there are no source code for them.

Well I don’t know whats up with future plans but I would love a plug-in that will integrate Nvidia’s GameWorks.

Reasoning is simple. I’m not only interested in making a game that is cross platform compatible but I’m also interested in using Unreal 4 to make and render animated shorts or even down the road a full length feature film.

Also if one could plug-in Substance Painter so one can paint directly inside of UE4 that would be cool as well.

The only thing that would be annoying is if plug-ins are made available at a cost when it should be a core feature.

I also want a easy installation with no coding or GitHub fuss for NVIDIA`s GameWorks :slight_smile:

At least Epic said in one of the twitch streams they will not go that path for their stuff.

A distance based voice chat would be cool :slight_smile:

I agree… a bit. It has to be a choice for the creator of the plugin. If plugins are required to come with the source code, companies like Allegorithmic will not publish their plugin anymore. I think as a buyer you need to think it over. Is it a plugin created by a hobbiest(which could loose interest over time, get married(that takes a way all your time I can tell!!), etc) or is it created by a company which has commercial interest in keeping the plugin alive?

The source code of the plugin is very nice to have, but going through 10000’s line of code to get it working again with UE5/6/7 might not be ideal too.

I’ll be making some AI plugins. I agree with Amigo, I would only ever do full-source plugins as they offer the most value and long term stability.

Second the requirement for a decent integrated voice chat system. Must work as dedicated server->client kind of thing. I know one team that already implemented something like this, so it must be reasonably do-able.

Perhaps Epic Games can become a gatekeeper for the source code of certain Plugin types under certain conditions, which could work where as if the developer drops support for a plugin than Epic Games could lower the price of the plugin, mark it as not supported any more by the developer than Epic Games could provide basic support for the plugin that includes patching it for newer engine versions but no new features are added OR release the source code to the public depending on the developers wishes.

By doing this you somewhat solve both the hobbyist & established businesses problem of a plugin becoming unsupported/dropped by the developer(s) & by Epic Games still charging plugin but at lower price which the proceeds could go to Epic Games in full or in part to support maintenance of the plugin, we might very well have a solution for smaller UE4 Plugins remaining functional on the UE4 Marketplace.

Of course you would still provide an option for developers to take their plugin completely off the marketplace if they do not wish to distribute the source code or hand over the rains of the project to Epic Games strictly for basic engine compatibility maintenance.

NOTE: This might not be the best solution long-term due to it not scaling well but it might work in some cases for the more popular plugins which become unsupported by the developer(s)

+1 to this.

I would like some of the Blueprints they sell in the marketplace converted to C++, because I can’t read spaghetti and blobs. :slight_smile:

Great. Once I finish creating my procedural building plugin , I will begin working in my roadconstruction tool , that is left untouched since December :smiley:

EXR image sequence with full channel export from matinee!
And also export to big formats (right now we’re exporting a 5760x1080, only png though)

I dunno if this can be done as a plugin but pretty please :slight_smile:

I second that! :slight_smile:

RSA or other public encryption plugin would be awesome. I need something like this for submitting high scores to leaderboards. Like a blueprint exposed Crypto++.
I would definitely buy this.

-easy Database connectivity
-read/write data to files
-pug and play customize controls system like every standard game has

I’d like to see some anti-aliasing options. Some new forms of post-processing that can toss us some more choices would be amazing and an instant seller for sure.