[Plugin] OSC for UE4

Did anyone manage to run this plugin on 4.21 on iOS? I tested it with just an empty map and one umg button that sends osc, but it crashes immediately when I press that button.

edit: I got it to work. I used “get all actors with tag” to get blueprint, and after replacing it with something else, managed to get it working.

I would like to include this plugin in a project for Magic Leap with the *dev-magicleap-mlsdk-0.19. *branch of the UE4 source code.

Is it possible to have the plugin updated to successfully build with this branch of the editor?

If you’d rather talk about this privately please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

I’m having an issue with 4.21.2 whereby I can only receive unicast messages regardless of the setting in ProjectSetting/Plugins/OSC/Receive. This is true even if I have just the port number set there (so in theory it should receive everything on that port). Any ideas?..

Jon

Any chance this will be updated to 4.23? I know 4.23 has a native OSC plugin now but it’s not as user friendly as this and it’s sorely missing the ability to register an incoming OSC message as an input in Project Settings.

Hello all. Does anyone know how to set the plugin settings at runtime (especially in c++)? I’d like to set my receive port based on a config file. I tried updating “ReceiveFrom” in OscSettings.cpp constructor but that didn’t work.

Thanks!

@monsieurgustav This plugin is saving my butt right now, great work and thank you! A couple of things:

• Do I have to use the Osc Receiver Actor of the UE4-OSC plugin or can I add the OscReceiver component to an existing actor and get the same behavior? right now it looks like no, because no OscReceivedEvents are happening in my actor with the OscReceiverComponent. In my test case using the Osc Receiver Actor, everything works fine. If i add the OscReceiverComponent to an existing BP Actor, it doesn’t work. I can send, but not receive.
  • What exactly is the Address Filter on the OscReceiverComponent? Is that an Osc-type address or an ip address/port?

@wickerman123 I’m using UE4-OSC in the the Magic Leap UE4.23 Editor from the store. The native plugin only works on Win64/Win32 builds at the moment, at least with the version of 4.23 I’m using. So if you’re planning on pushing to a device, you’ll want to stick with UE4-OSC for now anyway.

You can just add the OSCReceiver component to anything you need to listen out for OSC commands - including stuff like the gamemode!

The address you get from the OSC Reciever is an OSC Address. When binding to the “OnOSCRecieved” delegate, you get another pin for sender IP (annoying something not included in the native plugin by epic!)

Good to know that there are compatibility issues, thankfully I don’t have any plans on using OSC on anything other than windows.

Just a heads up, if you’re using @monsieurgustav 's plugin in 4.23 or 4.24 you may get build errors due to the conflict with the included OSC plugin.

@wickerman123 Thanks for the info! That’s good news because I’m still sorting out the whole broadcast/multicast/unicast thing. I’ll have two headless Raspberry Pi’s running XWax, but the app will need to distinguish which is which and filter out messages not intended for the current node.

I disabled the native OSC plugin when I started using UE4-OSC, so no issues there.

I’m happy to report that my app built, and runs on the Magic Leap device. Now I can work on fun things for a bit instead of networking boilerplate. :slight_smile:

Hello guys… has any of you been able to make the plug in to work with the latest UE 4.24 (raytracing enabled version)? specifically with facacap facial input app for iphone? It would be very good if someone has a solution for it so that I can test with my own characters. : ) thanks in advance.

Great plugin!

Just compiled it using Visual Studio 2017 and got it running and receiving OSC data with UE 4.25.0.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Hello everyone,

I having been using Unreal for a while and today I have begun using the osc plugin. I took all the installation steps: download from github, create a plugin folder in my project root folder and copy the osc folder inside. Create the project files again and the go to the project solution file and then, inside visual basic, build the game folder again.
My problem is that once I try to create a blueprint there are several actions (or nodes) missing. I can not create a oscserver, for example. I installed the latest version of the osc plugin. Also I tried the two previous versions but the problems is still there.
I am using unreal engine 4.21.1, specifically the nvidia gameworks branch since I am using flex fluid simulation tools. This is the only version I can use since otherwise my fluid simulation would not work.

Could anyone summarize in what ways this option is ‘better’ than the native OSC plugin option in UE4?
Also when I try and compile for 4.26 get the error

|Error||Plugin ‘UE4-OSC’ (referenced via default plugins) does not contain the ‘OSC’ module

Hey, how is this plugin different from ue4 official released OSC plugin?

Huge issues with ue4 native OSC plugin with packaging it to android. It crashes when recieving messages and im curious how you made this plugin different, because this works with android in 4.26 for some amazing reason.

@monsieurgustav

Hi milkman!
I wrote this plugin years ago, before there was an official plugin…

I’m not too familiar with the official plugin implementation, so I can’t say how it is different! I guess it is entirely different :slight_smile:
Even with the new official plugin, my plugin is still widely used (including by me) so it will be kept up-to-date with new Unreal version in the future.

Is this plugin currently compatible with UE 4.27? It notifies me that modules were built with a different engine version, then tells me it could not be compiled and to rebuild from source manually.

Hi,
I do not provide precompiled binaries for this plugin, you must build it yourself indeed.
I can’t tell for sure if it works on 4.27 (I still use 4.26 currently) ; but I generally get reports from users when it does not, so I guess it’s OK.
Regards,
Guillaume

I’ve been using this plugin for awhile and it is great.

Does it work with more than one piece of data? I have an OSC message coming in with two integers and so far I can only get the first one.

In my blueprint the only things that gets any data is the pop float which seems to just grab the first item in the array. I tried using a Get node but they are all empty.

Dear @monsieurgustav Thank you for this plugin.

I wonder if this works IN EDITOR. I mean without hitting Play. I wish to use it in my nDisplay Switchboard setup and there I need In Editor workflow. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Regards.

Hey, trying to use this plugin because the official one wasn’t working.

I’m getting “Project could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.”

Tried following Dan Shirley’s tutorial but it didn’t work, the visual studio build fails.

Using 5.1, tried it with the UE-OSC version and the latest UE4 version.