Pick Up Plus Inspect - PUPI (PUPO v2.0)

Hi Nicat my Vive is after delivering so hopefully you have yours too :slight_smile: Just a quick question is there an easy way you could tell me that I could integrate the Vives tracked controllers in your PUPO or is it a bit more complicated than that and I would have to wait for an update?

Hello, I wish I could say same about Vive but still havenā€™t been able to buy it (hopefully next month). With current version of PUPO it needs manyā€¦ I mean really many changes, however in the upcoming update it shouldnā€™t be difficult to make it work with VR and Controllers -hopefully- .

About updateā€¦ normally it should have been sent to Epic already but there is a LITTLE bug which took few weeks :eek: to figure out and it needs a LITTLE time to be fixed :slight_smile:

Hi. How can I disable the crosshair? I removed the texture, turned off the HUD, but still have a red square with some lines (vectors?).

Hey,

Iā€™m getting issues with it on 4.12.

Any ETA on when you will have this fixed?

Thanks,
Minxies

Iā€™m a bit disappointed with this script actually.

I was hoping for something componentized. Instead I got a couple of god objects that operate in global (world) space and tightly bound to the Player Controller, Pawn and Physics Objects.

Code cohesion is also fragmented with related functionality spread amongst these objects.

Also, you have 2 objects, one called PUPOStarter and PUPOMain. This is bad code smell as theyā€™re seemingly similar objects with abstractions for the sake of abstractions (for little other purpose other than to separately related complexity) These 2 objects are again actors, not rightfully components.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I might recommend checking out SOLID principles (outlined by Robert C Martin) for some ā€˜best practicesā€™ tips.

Iā€™m this critical because, given a finite slice of functionality, you expect that market place item be a stature for reference of good design. This unfortunately is not which can lead unknowing non coders down a dark paths. Iā€™m a bit dismayed that Epic isnā€™t enforcing these general programming best practices as part of their Marketplace submission guidelinesā€¦

That said, it packs some interesting functionality. Incidentally, itā€™s just a shame itā€™s architechted as, like they say, a ā€˜ball of mudā€™.

Hello, we are aware of PUPO not working on 4.12 and currently working on an update. Update will be sent to Epic probably before next week or during next week.

First I apologize for messy blueprint in PUPO. In the update many useless nodes are removed and replaced with useful few ones :slight_smile:

PUPOStarter and PUPOMain are separated because of Input limitations in blueprints. If it wasnā€™t done, there would be some problems. For example: if you are holding a gun and have same key for both firing and picking up. While firing a gun if you mouse over an object which can be interacted by PUPO, input would be consumed by PUPO therefore even if you released Fire key, it would still continue to fire because that input key is no more listened by player pawn. We have tried going around Input limitations in many ways but unfortunately only way we could find was to separate Actors and enable/disable input depending on situation.

Note: not trying to put blame on UE4, just wanted to explain why they were separated. And of course there are many things to make better because this is our first product and we have learned many things after publishing this. Also weā€™ll constantly improve PUPO with the feedback we receive from users like you.

Thanks for heads up, will definitely check out those principles.

We are thankful for and always welcome such criticism. As it gives good view of what can be improved.

Hello, I apologize for delayed response. Didnā€™t get email notification or missed it.

You probably have solved it by now but here is what to do in case someone else needs it. That square is from LineTraceByChannel in PUPOStarter. You can disable it by setting ā€œDraw Debug Typeā€ to none.

Thank you!

Edit: update is up: Marketplace link

Hey everyone,

Good news is finally here, just sent 4.12 + VR[experimental] + ā€œlots of new featuresā€ update to Epic.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions, questions and support!
Special thanks to forum member tcla75 for helping out with VR! :slight_smile:

PUPO has evolved into PUPI

Finally!!! After a lot of blueprinting (adding tons of new features and fixing bugs), waiting for our HTC Vive to arrive (had some delivery issues :frowning: ) and getting tons of motion sickness (apparently I get motion sick very easily :mad: ) update has arrived to marketplace. One of the reasons update taking so long was we thought update would get to marketplace after a few weeks of sending it to Epic and wanted to include everything at onceā€¦ but boy were we wrong about marketplace staff. They got it in a day :cool:

So what are these tons of features you may ask, the most ā€œheavyā€ ones are: outline, pick up and inspect sounds, slowing time while inspecting, auto-scaling down inspectable to fit screen, few settings to make PUPI work in any type of game including VRā€¦ take a look at ā€œGuideā€ or ā€œSettings spoilerā€ in first post to see full list. Also with a little blueprinting you can make character slow down depending on picked up object weight (to see how it is done take look at FirstPersonCharacter in Demo->Character->Blueprint->). There is no PUPOStarter and PUPOMain BP actors anymore, there is one PUPI BP actor which has full logic in it(and 13 more for input mappingsā€¦ just ignore them :slight_smile: ).

Hey thanks for the update! Does this mean you will now be working on PAMMBO?

I noticed thereā€™s a bug when trying to throw an object. Also, when carrying objects they donā€™t look smooth as before, they look kind of jittery. Is it just me? Thanks again!

is it now suitable for a point & click adventure game ?
( pressing both thumbs like an idiot ā€¦ )

You are welcome. Yes we are starting to work on PAMMBO, also might do something else at the same time. To be honest it seems like PAMMBO will have some issues. Depending on speed of door and frame rate, door may not get locked and closing sound may not play. If we canā€™t find a better way to handle locking mechanism, users will have to keep maximum speed of door limited by setting damping or having minimum limit of frame rate(which sounds very silly). If we canā€™t fix it, depending on how bad the problem is weā€™ll either have the price reduced or even put it on the forum for free, even though weā€™ve spent lots of time making it. We donā€™t want to submit something with serious issues.

Throwing bug is solved and sent to Epic. In the meantime this can be done to solve it: In PUPI blueprint search(ctrl+f) for ā€œReset variablesā€ and remove last two nodes (set GrabbedObject and set InspectObject). Jittery movement is due to UE4.9, it is smooth on later versions.

Well, at least it is possible to use mouse pointer instead of trace and object can be ā€œattachedā€ to character instead of camera which might be useful for some projects. Still a bit more info about how picking up is going to be implemented would help to give a proper answer.

Itā€™s working perfectly now, this blueprint saved me a lot of development time. Thanks for all your work HeadsAndBrains!

Really glad to hear that :slight_smile: You are welcome!

Hi, great pack, Iā€™m having fun with it, I wish input keys were importable files. anyway I have a problem, I can provide screen shot, but before I do that how do I get rid of the tracer and hit sphere visualization? Its great for testing but it interferes with game. I donā€™t even want the red dot on screen. As long as objects outline illuminate its good enough. thanks for any help

Hi, physics is fun in games :slight_smile:
Currently I am not aware of a method to import InputMappings. If there is a way, I would like to know that.
About trace visibility, just updated first post. You can find guide for how to disable trace visibility under Guide spoiler.
Thanks!

I just noticed, At the top of input dialogue screen there is an option to export and import settings. easy install after exporting settings from your sample project. thanks. next update you should add public variable so we donā€™t have to go into blueprint, more profession. thanks

Hey, thanks for letting know. How did I miss that :eek:? But seems like it overrides existing InputMappings so, this is a good method for projects without existing Mappings or with fewer Mappings than PUPI.
Also, you can change mapping keys from Project Settings, no need to go into blueprints. AFAIK we canā€™t use variables with Mappings, so how is public variable going to help?
Thanks for awesome feedback and help!