Physics Forests - A New Real-time Fluid Solver - Download demo NOW!

really impressive, especially the video mixing water and sand.
nice job, i 'm keeping an eye on it

I saw this tread from last streaming.
Looks very amazing. Just curious how much fast it can render it.

Must run < 10ms on 5 years old hardware then someone is going to find some uses for this in games.

Great work so far, having it for waterfalls and forest streams, as well as for waterflowing over a mill wheel will be very nice to see and uses I am interested in.

Proud of you all, shouts out to you for experimenting with this. Iā€™m assuming the goal is to implement this kind of simulation in real time games? I see some of the other devs here saying that this would be useful for offline sim, but thatā€™s essentially what Houdini is for and Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not what youā€™re going for. What are the specs of the rig running those simulations? Sorry if this was already answered, didnā€™t see it.

NVidia TitanX Pascal (the one from Aug 2016)
CPU is (almost) not used at all

all fluids except sand are rendered at a mesh, so the rendering is way faster than for example in FLEX
sand (or any non-transparent particles) can be also rendered quite fast because we can skip large majority based on signed distance, which is calculated anyway
foam is rendered at circular sprites (same as in other systems) so if you zoom too much, it might get a bit slower

edit: hard to quantify exactly, but it was about ~1-4ms in all those simulations (except that ā€œdustā€ video)
itā€™s already included in the time shown

I wouldnā€™t say that, 2 ms on 2 year old hardware sounds better. It doesnā€™t need to run at all on 5 years old hardware.

I would want to use this in VR, and there no one has older hardware. The worst GPU this would have to run on is a GTX 970. As long as its possible to adjust how expensive it is, maybe by setting simulation accuracy or just giving people with a GTX 970 thicker fluids (bigger particles) than people with a 1080, its completely fine :slight_smile:

When you say Machine Learning, do you mean something similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOWamCtnwTc&feature=youtu.be
When is saw that my thought was ; ā€œThis needs to be in Unreal.ā€

This is absolutely fantastic though, as a hobby game developer, ((I also work at Ubisoft but only as an artist there)) I haveā€¦or will have a sort of large dock scene where I am trying to get the ocean to behave like a real ocean, for a stealth like game, so for me this is a really real question; Can or would this be able to be used to simulate realistic motion of an ocean on a about a kilometer of dockyard shoreline with rocks and coastal armoring blocking larger incoming waves from the open ocean to create shallow calm areas where small boats are moored? The level is smaller but the shoreline is really bendy heh. Right now Iā€™m using flowmaps that control heightmaps butā€¦A physically simulated ocean would be really pleasant to watch, especially for a game where you mostly sit around watching from the shadows.

I would love to get my hands on this to experiment withā€¦Much like everyone else here I guess. I love experimental technology.

PS: I would gladly sacrifice the chamfers on my stone wall assets or the density of my grass to implement this. I honestly believe technology like this is more interesting for a player to at least look at than a really detailed rock.

the general idea is based on the our old paper, mentioned also there in the description ( Website not found! ), but it has been significantly modified, so that the results are better, and all the new features are possible (rigid coupling, multiple fluids, granular materials, surface generation, etc).

we plan work in the very recent future on various tricks combining those methods with ours to make it scale to that size
simply it is simulated where you are looking, elsewhere some tricks are applied, and there is a smooth transition between those two

By the time the game ships a 970 gonna be ~5 years old :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi lubor_,

We are working on a game where we need avalanche to occur on random locations of the map. that will be specified by the Player. So I wanted to know

1. Can Physics Forests Fluid System be optimised for this big scenario? i.e. Avalanche would occur on real sized mountains.
  2. Can your fluid system be customised to act like snow avalanche?
  3. Can these generate collision Hit events or anything like it?

Would like to hear from you if these things are possible.

Best Regards
Das

1. yes, and scaling is a bit easier for sand/snow, because particles donā€™t need to be simulated, where nothing is moving
  2. yes, snow is a customized sand:)
  3. we can calculate the impact of snow on any movable (atm only rigid) object every frame. I think with a cumulative sum you can get what you want.

congratz men, thatā€™s stunning :wink:

I see this plugin being useful in 3d animation using Unreal Sequencer!!!

For 3d renders simular to ā€œToy Storyā€ real time is not necessary and sequencer can cough up a decent amount of frames per second using This great fluid simulator You have developedā€¦I would be happy to purchase such a Plugin and test itā€¦iā€™m presently doing a student film and have ocean waves crashing on shore to render LOLā€¦

Looks really amazing =) It`s based on Nvidia Flex or somth different ?

This looks amazing! wish we could see more, I would love to use it one day!

Good work @lubor_! Keep it up!

I really like what you are doing! I have a couple of questions, is it running on the main rendering thread or could you offload it to another cuda processor and leave the main card rendering? Is it restricted to viscous liquids at the moment, or can you add in other physical attributes like surface tension and non-Newtonian viscosity behavior? Is it possible to use it for gases?
Looks great though, well done.

we havenā€™t tried, but it should be possible

Cohesion(surface tension)/adhesion forces are possible (used for example for honey or mercury in ā€œvarious materialsā€). The only non-newtonian viscosity we tried was used for sand. Iā€™ve seen some (real) videos of various weird non-newtonian fluids, I would need to see a mathematical description of that behavior to see if itā€™s possible to simulate in our framework.

We are working on it, we release videos, when we are happy with the quality.