Perception Neuron Template

v0.3.0 released

Changes since last version:

A special thanks to [EMAIL=“be@benedikt-engelhard.de”]Benedikt Engelhard for sponsoring the plugin work !

Howdy,

I accidentally stumbled across your thread on the plugin you’ve made for the Perception Neuron. I have yet to buy one, and they don’t seem to be forthcoming with information. I’m would definitely like to buy one, but I am 201cm, and is true with the rest of most things made in the world, I’m simply too big. Do you think this would be the case with the Neuron rig?

As a side note, I am interested in using it more for cinematic animation which will be rendered with Unreal. Do you think this would be a good addition to my pipeline?

Someone post they might get their rig in mid November!! That was posted months ago, and the Perception website says shipping in October. Anyone know what the reality is?

Cheers,

Sterling

well, you have sonsers on your limbs, and the sensors are connected with cables. though, the cables should be long enough (they have this whirly stretch thingies - anyone knows what it’s called?). so you should be fine, IMHO.

absolutely.

I was one of the early backers and got mine in mid-august. unfortunately, I didn’t have much time to tinker with it extensively. but it works very well. you can actually test everything: just get there free “neuron axis player” and use it with this plugin. they provide example data with the player.

I’m in batch E and currently no one received any notification/update, but they reply to one of my email saying that the suits will be shipped in 2-3 weeks, means that mine “should” be on the way now or next week…roughly 10 days for the shipping from Hong Kong, so in theory the first week of novemeber the suits should arrive…hopefully…

Thanks guys. I think I’m going to go all in! I actually just received an email from a sales rep. He told me that if I ordered on today, I’d get it in November. Unfortunately, he also told me they are spec’d for people up to 6’5", and that any taller would be a stretch. While I do want to wear it, I’d probably work with other actors most of the time.

On their website, they claim the base software can track two rigs at the same time while the pro version can track more and has other features. Any word on this?

FYI, Reallusion, the makers of iClone, Character Creator, and 3DXchange will have a plugin for Perception shortly. I’ve used their products in my pipeline with Unreal and it is seamless and extremely painless. One of the guys at Reallusion also told me that they should have a full face tracking system working by January.

-Sterling

I honestly wouldn’t get your hopes up for a November delivery. I say this after reading the comments on their kickstarter and the fact that I made an order in July and still haven’t received any communication regarding it. If you’re super patient and in no rush then I’d say go for it as it is a fantastic piece of kit that you’re going to have to wait for.

Also worth adding if you hit up their forums you’ll learn that UE4 integration is not a priority for them and the loose time frame given is ‘within a year’. It is for this reason @Cyxx is a legend for putting this integration together for us.

Hey Heiko!

Quick question: will the plugin work even on a packaged project? or it will work only inside the editor/simulate mode?
I guess that you still need ( of course ) to have Axis player running, but it would be interesting to know if, for example, I want to package my game for and android phone but still be able to send the mocap data to the game via wifi.

PS: Mid-End November I will finally be able to get the suits!!! FINALLYYYYYY!!! :smiley:

Hi Nicolas
the plugin works also in a packaged project.
But so far I tested packaging only for Win64 and currently I ship with the binary plugin only the Win64 libraries.
I don’t know if the plugin works on Android at all.
Otherwise the source code itself should be OS independent.

Best regards
Heiko

Thanks for the reply Heiko.
I guess that the best solution would be to “convert” it or be able to stream the mocap data inside the packaged project on Android over wifi…will try that :slight_smile:

Very interesting stuff; I’ll sub to this thread to learn :wink:

Since the suits will arrive shortly I made this useful script :slight_smile:

PN animation to Maya Retargeting

v0.4.0 released

Changes since last version:

Template v0.4.0 changes:

• Network and player controller actors now support manual configuration of reference skeleton instead using external BVH reference file.
  • To have an example how to add custom skeletons, the Mannequin now uses the new bone map feature of the plugin.
    For a “HowTo” please have a look into the Mannequin BP function “Init Bone Map”.
  • Update to Plugin v0.2.0

Plugin v0.2.0 changes:

• It is now possible to initialize Reference skeleton manually and initialization with external BVH reference file is optional.
  • Support all rotation orders and add missing XZY, YZX, ZYX rotations
  • Better support for custom skeletons: Bone coordinate system can now be mapped in blueprint.
  • Fix a synchronization bug when using Neuron format
  • Further comments and minor improvements

Still waiting for my neurons but there is some amazing work going on here. Cannot wait to get stuck in!

Dude, congrats for the Unreal Grants!!!
You really deserve them :slight_smile:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/epic-games-awards-150000-in-unreal-dev-grants

Fantastic news! Really excited to see what you’re able to do in future. Must be a great feeling to know that your efforts have been rewarded by Epic. Extremely happy for you. :slight_smile:

This is incredible news. I had been told that my rig would arrive within the next few weeks. Yesterday I received an email that it won’t be here until the first quarter of next year. There are 2553 people in front of me. The Neuron website says the same thing today as it did when I ordered mine, which is pre-orders and new orders begin shipping in November. It is extremely misleading. In a long back and forth email exchange, the final explanation was that they are in the middles of switching shipping agents. Added he noted that the Chinese don’t do a very good job at translations.

I only mention the above so you don’t do what I did and get your hopes up or (in my case) plan some pipeline and delivery of a project, based on using the Perception neuron. If anyone has ordered a Neuron rig within the last few months and has it in their hands, I’d love to know about it.

All of that said, I am looking forward to my mocap rig, and can’t wait to be able to use the tools provide here.

Cheers,

Sterling

@All: Thank you for the congratulations and compliments. I am still very excited and totally overwhelmed!
And of course I will continue developing this plugin/template further.
If you have enhancement wishes just post it here on the forum and I will see what I can do.

What I would like to see is the ability to send data from the suit without the Axis player…I know that the guys from PN said that they’re going to “unlock” that features in the future, but at this point I would love to be able to send the data to UE4/Unity without the software…also because I think that it’ll be quicker to send the data, meaning less lag :slight_smile:

I strongly suggest you, since I remember Tobias asked you to contact him about the plugin, to directly contact them and work on the “unlock” feature to be available in short time.

Thanks again for the plugin :slight_smile:

Howdy,

I finally received my Neuron rig. I’m really excited to try out your plugin, but when I put it in my project folder, I am told that it may have to be recompiled, and that’s as far as I get. I’ve tried it with 4.9.2. Do I need an older version of UE?

-Sterling

I’ve been having the same problem.