Packaged game won't start

is this going to effect my game? because i have exported PNG Pictures?

Having the same problem with UE5. I don’t have any plugins enabled, apart from all the default ones. I can’t imagine trying to redo all of this into a new project, there were so many settings/tweaks, I won’t be able to replicate it all. I’m not sure what to do as there are no log files to reference, the executable just doesn’t want to start.

I’ve noticed this with UE5.0.3 and this marketplace project

I’ve downloaded and created the project, I’ve left it as it was, no changes. I’ve then build the package, no errors. Clicking on the resulting game.exe will do nothing. no error, no crash, no window of any kind.

Looking at the comments and questions on the item page, it must be just me :man_shrugging: or maybe no one actually build the project :crazy_face:

The project is actually quite good and well organized so chances that there is an error made by the author inside are small

it may be that when unreal recreated the project on my computer it messed up something.

If anyone has this issue also, with different projects, how did you have created those projects?

Just to clarify all projects I’ve created myself builds and start successfully. This is the first project I’ve seen that does this. I’ve also build the unreal Lyra game successfully so what could be?

Did you find what was the cause?
I have same problem, simple can’t start app after packaging Successfully Done in UE 5.0.3

I tried to test with new first-person project and that was fine, I was able to open.

no

Reinstalled visual studio to 2022. Updated platform SDK. Worked perfectly, packaged game is now opening fine.

Hey Guys! Having this issue too. So, here is the thing. I am currently working with Unreal Engine 5.0.3. I have tried:

• Setting Visual Studio 2022 as the Compiler,
  • Choosing Shipping,
  • Choosing Development
  • Building everything,
  • Checking as well as Unchecking “For Distribution”

The thing is, none of these worked. I cannot disable any plugins, as I only have the default ones. The only issue the Log presents when packaging is that the system could not specify the path. However it is not shown as an error, and rather as just a message. As well as some incapabilities about the audio, but I am not sure if these are the causes of the iussue. Also, some issue regarding the Virtual Reality Package. Now, my game does NOT boast VR. I do not know whether this is causing any trouble. I am currently downloading UE 5.1. Gonna let you guys know whether it changes anything, despite its being in BETA. Could this actually be an Epic Games bug?

hey, were you able to find a way to fix it?

Unfortunately, not yet. I haven’t tried UE 5.1 yet, since it is not recommended for development. I eventually have to duplicate the project and try, so that it is not endangered. My guess though is that Epic Games have an Unreal Engine Bug they need to fix.

I agree, thankfully I do not need to package anything for my uni studies just yet. Hope they get this fixed soon

I found removing the Editor Scripting Utilities plugin (in unreal 5.0.3 they seem to be standard, i never turned them on myself.) solved this for me. The downside is you can’t use quixel bridge with out it, For me, that’s not a deal breaker.

1 Like

It’s also not working for me. I’m using the 4.26.2 version, I tried to disable plugins with Android and VR stuff… It’s still not working… Can someone help me?

for me, simply creating a dummy C++ class worked. I read somewhere it force UE to generate some sort of file needed. File → Create C++ → Class “None” and just save as test. And boom, after that, I was able to package and start up the game!

1 Like

thank you mate, thats works fine!!!

Creating a dummy C++ class worked for me as well. Thanks for tip @drewjohnson71

So I encountered the exact same problem today. No build errors in VS, plays fine in the editor, no errors or warnings while packaging. But simply cannot launch the packaged .exe file. What’s worse is that it fails so early that the log files doesn’t get created and the process isn’t even in task manager… Tried everything above and still the same.

What helps me though is to build the game in visual studio and debug launch it from there then I see where the failure happens in my specific case: it’s calling FGameplayTag::RequestGameplayTag to initialize a namespace variable which will certainly fail as the tag was defined in .ini file that hasn’t been loaded yet.

Just here to share my experience as this drives me nuts for an entire day. Build and launch the game (not the editor) in VS certainly will help in this case.