New 'Mesh Editing' Tools - Feedback for Epic Games from a professional modeller

This is a 3ds Max plugin I’ve used in the past, some proprietary engines have a node based modelling system identical to this; UE4 with such a feature would be crazy:

But for start i am be very pleased if it can make and edit basic meshes like in GDC and of course those nasty darn UV maps in future, it is horror to edit them and then use different material on UE4 which is wrongly positioned or size is wrong or want to assign/remove material on faces. I understand that complicated meshes still need 3rd-party soft but ground and buildings and so on could be doable with Geo 2.0

Good example of UV editing is old BSP but BSP itself is ancient implementation. Hammer 2 is best example where Geo 2.0 should go.

There is Dungeon Architect, which is a way cooler than that plugin IMO :slight_smile:

hey guys,

Is it possible to use the editor at runtime (play mode)?

Hey everyone,

I just built the dev-geometry version, but can’t seem to find the mesh editor tool. I made sure to cloned it when on the dev-geometry branch. I also started UE4 from VS 2017 by pressing F5, like the guide said.
Is there a way to check if I have the right version? Or am I missing a step in order to activate the Mesh Editor window in the modes panel?

Really looking forward to start modelling in VR, so please help :slight_smile:

I finally used the Mesh Editor and I really like it. Is there a Forum spot specifically designated for it?

For sure though the First thing it needs is exact control of everything. If I want to extrude 1 mm I need to be able to extrude 1 mm. This needs to be for all tools. That one feature will make the tool infinitely more useful. Right now you just have to eyeball everything. Also, add a distance display showing how far you are moving or scaling etc stuff.

Then after that:
1 - Being able use a reference object for the extrusion size, moving, scaling etc…
2 - Grouping Triangles and make them appear to be one face. I know I can hold Command and select multiple triangles but it would be great to be able to group them to perform operations on the group.
3 - Union, Subtraction, Trim etc…
4 - These tools once stable should be added to the Static Mesh Editor too. That way if you just want to model on one object, the rest of your Scene is not in the way.
5 - Make tool icons and just add these to the standard toolbars at the top. They will become some of the most used tools once they are ready.
6 - Loose the grid that pops up when you select a triangle like one of the other guys said.

Some problems:
1 - Crashes a lot :slight_smile: but I imagine that is why it is not on by default. It really hates Draw vertices. Crashes every time. Not even sure what that does.
2 - Mesh Editing a Primitive messes up the primitive in that project. It needs to not effect the master. Hmm this seems to be WAY worse. editing any of the primitives or the ground in any project messes up the master…I have to fix my Cube now…yikes and I really screwed around with it lol. Is there a way to reset the Cube to its original form?
3 - The transform moves slow and then jumps too fast sometimes.

Further in the future
1 - Allow drawing of shapes on Planes that can then be extruded , scaled etc… Maybe that is what polygon is for but it doesn’t seem to work

What is so cool to think of is that you already have the best rendering engine and now all this needs is a couple new features and WOW.

My default Cube lol whoops…

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-tempid”:“temp_158192_1550759740879_394”,“title”:“Screen-Shot-20190221-at-9.34.20-AM.png”}[/ATTACH]
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64