Nanite Performance is Not Better than Overdraw Focused LODs [TEST RESULTS]. Epic's Documentation is Dangering Optimization.

5.5 test.

After working on some test, I stumbled upon another false claim presented in Epic performance presentations and other commenters from the UE community.

“High poly makes nanite faster, because of cluster culling, which will make overdraw better”

That is not true, at all.

While I’m not going to post the hours worth of work and view modes and standalone test, it was always the same each time. Higher poly (which can’t just be subdivided, no each triangle has to have significant difference or Nanite would crunch down to a single cluster in seconds) are heavier on Nanite.

The test just consisted of replacing the low poly cubes with a displaced version with just enough poly density to keep small clusters for “better” culling. No, what happened is every nanite related measurement(there’s like three) each increased by 45% in ms(.50ms-.76ms). Don’t give me lies talking about how Nanite has a fixed cost, it scales with complexity like everything else.

I even took a severally displaced version in case anyone wanted to keep claiming “more tris is better”, cluster culling was spot on to the pixel. Awful perf.
Also, remember that I tested these in several modes outside editor, and I’m just showing overdraw to save myself the time and give enough context about the layers and how insignificant the view mode is. And these are small scale test that will be even more impactful on real scenes

Your welcome.
Again.