Mysterious sliding vehicle phenomenon

Then how come I am having this issue with all of my own added vehicles, no matter how I tune them? The only Unreal tutorials I found are from 2014 with this “Deprecated Spring Offset”. The moment I have this setting unchecked and use the new Spring Offsets the sliding starts to occur. What would be the way to ‘retune’ the vehicles if you want to use the new Spring Offsets feature? Because as it currently is with the sliding up a hill and what not, it’s unusable.

Speaking to developer who implemented this feature, the Deprecated Spring Offset basically “enables” the Spring Offset. Previously, the Spring Offset would usually be set to about 40 as 0 was the origin of the spring so this value would usually be where their tires were. With the new change, the default location (0) is at the tire location, so setting that value isn’t needed or likely requires different values. Hopefully this can give you an idea on how you need to tune the vehicle.

Thank you, where however can I find the setting to change this spring offset location? I haven’t been able to find it, otherwise I would have tried it long before asking for help.
Also if there is a way to get in contact with the developer I would very much like to do so.

That would be the “Additional Offset” setting for each wheel under “Wheel Setups” in the Vehicle Movement component in the vehicle’s Blueprint.

To explain a bit further on what the new Spring Offset does:

When Deprecated Spring Offset is turned off, any forces experienced by the tire from the road will be applied at the center of mass of the tire. This is almost always lower on the body than the center of mass of the car, and so it causes the car to roll a bit more as you turn.

When Deprecated Spring Offset is turned on, any forces experienced by the tire from the road will be applied at the same height as the center of mass of the car. This means that as you turn you will not experience any rolling, which is of course not realistic.

As for speaking to the developer, he is not available as he is too busy, although he’d be telling you the same information that I am as he also does not see this as a bug.

“Additional Offset” actually only moves the wheel that is used for the calculations(this is visible in “ShowDebug Vehicle”). For example I put 50 at the z value and then my wheels were sticking through the ground as the wheels were not at the same position as the visual wheels. Also the sliding still occurs exactly the same if I change these values.
I am disappointed that you do not take this issue seriously and disregard it like you do. I am simply trying to get my vehicles to be as good as they can be and I am having big issues with this sliding behaviour.
If there is anything else you could do for me, such as make a Bug Report so that a developer can take a look at it, then I would very much appreciate that.

As I already mentioned, the developer who implemented this feature does not consider this to be a bug and sees it as an issue that can be fixed with retuning the vehicle. Please keep in mind that the UE4 vehicles are not meant to be something that can just be added and work without precise tuning, partially because most of the functionality relies on Nvidia’s implementation. This issue has also become heavily off topic as it doesn’t relate at all to the original poster’s issue. If I were to make a bug report as you suggest, it would just be marked as Won’t Fix as the same developer would be taking a look at it.

If you would like to make a post about attempting to tune the vehicle correctly, please feel free but as this is no longer related to a bug report, I’ll be marking this one as resolved.

This issue occurs with just about any vehicle that is built using the official Unreal Engine Docs about creating a Vehicle. I merely showed it with the Buggy to illustrate the issue me and others are having. This issue has apparently been around since 2014 and besides me porckchop also reported this issue still ocurring recently. This issue does not seem to be resolved yet at all and I regret that you will it as resolved…
Thank you for your responses up to now.

I know this is old but I found it today trying to find a solution to the sliding. Since this is considered a tuning issue I just wanted to share a couple things I changed that seems to help a bit. It may not work for everyone but it helped a little for me. For the vehicle movement…

349744-vehicle-sliding-fix.png

Is this issue fixed? I’m having the same problem with my vehicle :frowning: