Thought you guys may be interested to see my (non-navmesh) AI path-finding in action for my upcoming update:
Because bases in my game can be free-built by players and NPC’s, navmeshes didn’t seem like a viable option as I would have to continually update them during run-time. Or at least in my experiments I wasn’t finding much success.
I’ve instead built a somewhat elaborate system (using a lot of traces) which stitches paths together using detection of adjacent floor pieces, cancelling out paths on a floor piece’s 4 axis as it hits dead-ends. I added a bunch of fallbacks for blocking during the pathing. I’ve tested on some fairly complex base-designs and they are able to navigate effectively.