My idea for my first game

Sorry my english is not so well, but i am in the same situation, to calculate a product price!
Some of my thoughts!
Some “great games” (marketing/adv/trailer) from really great companys cost around 60 Bucks.
Sometimes i got a game for fifty bucks, but after playing, it was not very satisfying for me.
My game and the fun with UE4 is ten times bigger for me, a fair price would be around 400 Bucks then!
The positive aspect would be that not many ppl would buy it, but i have only minimal supporttime.
The negative one too.

What is the game like, well it’s a First Person Shooter with as advanced graphics as currently possible.
What makes it unique, Well i don’t think it’s unique, but given the fact i prefer to make a game i myself would enjoy it goes to show i prefer FPS games that have the focus on fun and not so much story like nowadays games do.
Why should people be interested in your game. No one should be interested in a game. To me a game should be a fun, enjoyable experience, not a game where they have to go along with the carefully built story made by the developers. Long story short 90’s games are more memorable because they didn’t have much of a story, the games were fun and enjoyable, todays games focus too much on story, and as a result the fun has died, my primary goal of this game is to show people that todays games don’t need a fancy overdone story, the game just needs to be fun to play, take Doom for example, Doom was always fun(and for me it still is) yes Doom had a story, it was vague but it had one, but the game was fun and that’s why it did so well in 1993, people prefered fun games over storyline driven games. and while my game idea does have a story i also want to make sure that the aspect of fun is not lost, if anything i want to balance the fun and story to ensure the game is not one sided. so the answer wounld be: because it shows people how a proper game should be.

In all honesty i have always been more for a fun game than a story driven game.

This tells us nothing about the game other than “it’s a shooter with graphics”. Which is pretty much any FPS. Given how varied an FPS can be, we still know nothing about your idea. What kind of game mechanics are you going to have? Are you going to have any features that haven’t been seen in an FPS before (or rarely seen?), something to set your game apart. What will the combat be like. What will the weapons be like? Will the player have powers an abilities, or will it be a more simple run and gun a la Serious Sam?

Not saying you need to tell us all of this (in fact some of it is probably better kept to yourself!), but these are the sort of things you’ll want to think about and flesh out. You won’t sell a game for $50 on just “FPS with advanced graphics”. Not without a big publisher backing you imo.

I’m a bit confused by this. If someone isn’t interested in a game, why would they play it?

1:1 3D Physics, 1:1 rendering, 1:1 scale world, maybe VR support, although since i’m not a huge fan of VR, i’ll probably not bother with it, Photo Realistic Graphics.

hmm maybe a few easter eggs that reference various ID Software games, like a 1:1 recreation of E1M1 from Ultimate Doom.

Same as Call Of Duty in many ways.

Extremely detailed, i’m talking models that have all the guns details, so like its not just a simple model with a texture, its an extremely finely detailed model with every gun piece modeled and textured, followed by of course putting the gun together.

**** no, I want my games to be as realistic in as many ways as possible.

Exactly, like put it this way, why should i play Five Nights At Freddy’s if i’m not interested in FNAF or the Horror genre as a whole, my idea of a game appeals to 15 years and over gamers who love to play FPS games. Only those interested will play it.

The motive behind this idea is this:
Some of my friends and some people that i talk to keep saying that Call Of Duty has become unrealistic(admittedly i don’t see anything unrealistic) and to be honest this kind of makes me feel upset, so one day i came up with an idea “What if i made a game similar to Call of Duty but the unrealistic things of call of duty are either removed or redone in order to ensure a fun, realistic game” so i started brainstorming, and this idea of a game began to form in my head

Ok. That wasn’t quite what I mean by mechanics though. I mean other than graphics, what will be the features of your game? When a player picks up your game, what will playing the game be like? Halo, for example, had fast based, somewhat tactical combat, with vehicle sections put in to break up the action. Or a game like Serious Sam features somewhat wave-based or swarm-based arcade style running and gunning. Call of Duty had cinematic set-pieces, Bioshock had RPG elements with plasmids and upgrades. Half life had an almost seamless, engaging story and unique, interesting weapons.

You’ve said in your original post that you were aiming to create a unique single-player and multi-player experience, so i’m wondering what kind of things you want to put in this game that are going to separate it from just another military shooter. I’m not trying to be discouraging, but i think you could do more with the idea here. We have tons of call-of-duties.

It sounds like you’re pretty clear on how you want your story to go, and how you want the game to look, but maybe just need to flesh out how the game is going to play.

This sounds pretty resource-heavy. What will such detailed models bring to the game? Is the player going to be able to even tell the difference between a fine detailed model and a normal-mapped low/midpoly mesh? Not saying you shouldn’t do it, but it sounds very time consuming to me and, to be honest, whenever i’ve played a FPS i’m usually too focused on the action to be looking THAT closely at the weapon, i’m certainly not looking hard enough to see whether the detail is a texture or built into the mesh.

I think my confusion was because it sounded like you were saying people shouldn’t be interested in your game. But of course they should, if you want anyone to play it.

So you’re looking for something that plays like the older Call of Duty or other military-style games, before they became so called ‘unrealistic’?

That’s fair enough. Personally not a style i’m particularly into these days, so i’m not sure i’d be in your target audience (just my preferences, of course). But those games certainly were popular.

Overall i want my game to be fun, immersive, realistic experience, all while balanced with a detailed but not overdone story, so like a player can play the games story but the fun, immersive, realistic experience of the game is not “put in the background” Think Doom’s fun and enjoyable experience mixed with Call Of Duty’s massve armoury of guns, attachments etc, and CS GO’s more tactical, and somewhat realistic approach

Please note that realistic games can be boring such as full-blown simulator - however that does attract a lot of hard core enthusiast who probably will swear anything by your games. But their population may not support your game $$$… realistic games can also be immensely difficult to produce… so there are reasons why there are so many unrealistic games around…

I’m going to be honest, sounds like a CoD clone. Doesn’t help with the fact that you’re adding Kino and Nuketown as DLC. Which is not allowed btw because copyright.

And such a big gamemode as Zombies as DLC? Don’t even think about it, have it be part of the game because most likely the game won’t attract 100k+ players and thus dividing the community with a whole gamemode is a bad idea. Plus such a gamemode will make the consumers feel they’ve been scammed because they’ll have to pay extra for the full experience.

Also, since you’re gonna be realistic, I’m assuming you can’t regenerate health in your game? Halo started that trend with its shield system and most FPS followed. Only FPS I can think of that has no regenerating health in 2016 is Doom

You might want to start with understanding what makes something an enjoyable experience or makes game fun to play. Study game design until the point when you can dissect games and understand why this and that was made in a certain way. Simple example, look at something like Kerbal Space Program and see why it’s succeeded gameplay wise over the dozen of other games where you can craft vehicles. What makes it so different from the rest (excluding modding). The same for COD, while I don’t play it anymore, I can see why it became such a huge success back at time of first “Modern Warfare”. Words such as “realistic shooter” are overused and don’t have much meaning anymore, neither they explain what you actually want to achieve.
You don’t have to make a Doom clone to understand how it’s made to be fun, but you have to start somewhere. For example, building a good and fun PacMan clone is a good challenge by itself, as evident that even it’s original creator didn’t succeed in make competitive version of PacMan as good as original.

I agree with the no regeneration thing thing, if and when my game is done there will be a gui that has a heath bar when you start you get 100% health, the more damage you take the lower your heath goes, if your heath reaches zero you die, i’m also maybe considering for the singleplayer only, i’m thinking of a hardcore mode where you only get one life which will make players attempt to avoid taking so much damage, in alot of ways the hardcore mode will probably be what makes the game 100% realistic because think about it, in real life when you die, that’s it your dead, you don’t get another chance, now what hardcore mode would men in singleplayer is if you die the save file you started the hardcore mode in will delete itself forcing players to start from the beginning again, it’s a great way to ensure a truly realistic experience, yes admittedly the hardcore mode might get frustrating after a while, i mean you get 3/4 through the game, and you die and everything you had done is lost, but like i said in the real world o0nce your dead, your dead.

Permadeath can be fun if you approach it properly. For game like Doom it’s not the best idea, unless you procedurally generate levels which is hard to pull of for the first person shooter. General principal with permadeath games is to have a game mechanics which is hard to completely grasp and learn fully in few hours (Cataclysm DDA is a good example). The other part is to have more or less clear indication to why player failed, like behavior of enemies should be predictive enough to be able to learn their movement patterns (Dark Souls is a good example). If you want to have traps in levels then there should be a way to see them and avoid if player is being careful. The idea is to make a progression through levels and game mechanic in such a way that it’s relatively easy to deal with situations which player already confronted and because of that get a bit further and further on every replay. Practically speaking this is something that is very hard to do as it requires a lot of coding for gameplay specific code. This is why majority of good example of permadeath games are 2d or even asci based.
If you want to learn more search for permadeath articles on gamasutra and gamedev.net

Every well said. Got me thinking again. thanks

PS
how’s the weather this time of year in Switzerland. like to get there one day. spend about 2 months there seeing every thing there is to see.

In Zurich, we finally got some proper snow and now it looks like an actual winter :slight_smile:

Regarding the permadeath, started a new run in Cataclysm DDA and it’s amazing how much content was added in experimental branch since “cooper” update.
One thing that it reminded me is that permadeath game to feel fair have to be very very very well coded. Loosing your character after many hours of play due to the bug in the code is super annoying (rather rare in Cataclysm!). If I would be thinking about building permadeath mechanics, the first question I would ask myself “do I really have that much time to polish code?”. If you think about how much time you invest into project vs how many happy customers you are going to have, then proper permadeath mechanics might be out of question. So far, majority of the games with permadeath mechanics which I subjectively would call to have superior implementation are asci based, free games, over 3 years in development. There were few commercial games which tried to do the same but less amount of content and mechanics makes them easier forgettable and with less re-playability value.

seems to me you have found every way to drain cash from your player base, with no real understanding of game development. you have 15 lines of DLC and 3 lines of “detailed story”. you’re making a generic shooter with no unique concepts and game play. you are massively over reaching what is possible in a game engine, you cannot just say “i will have photo realistic graphics” “i will have real world physics”. have you seen how much processing power you need for real world physics simulation? how much gpu power you would need to have real time photo realistic graphics? sorry to say this is not a game idea, this is a money making pipe dream that will never work.