Mono C# Bindings for Unreal 4

That is true, and it would work for people not concerned about other platforms.

The benefit here is that is definitely the cross platform support and the user not needing .Net on Windows.

Hey Scott. Our studio has been developing a C# implementation into UE4 for the past year. This past GDC we showed off some of that work to studios already using the engine and it was very well received.

Our current implementation includes a C# Editor for UE4 Editor. Ability to convert BluePrints to C#.

We have script binded all of the Game Framework and all necessary inherited classes.

C# assets are registered just like any other uasset.

We have also updated Mono to work properly with UE4. We are also engaging the mono developers on this project.

If anyone is interested in working on this with us please go ahead and send me an email: vincem@mektekdev.com

We’d like to get this out to everyone as soon as possible.

Wow this is amazing, I would really love something like this, Im having nothing but troubles with the VS/C++ integration and have some minor experience with C# but it was a much easier language for me to pickup than the C++ has been.

Will this be Open Source?

Yeah if its open source just create a repo for users that have access to source of ue4

, i for one would definately like to see/help on what you have so far. Do you currently have it up and running? And if so, do you have a video or demo etc?

btw, just so that i’m clear, is this a pure C# or Mono implementation? the reason i ask is because you state: “We have also updated Mono to work properly with UE4”… was just wondering if that was also as in ‘in addition to’ or as part of your Mono implementation…

I just want to applaud everyone working on C#/Mono for UE4. It would be very useful for me an many others!

would be great to use c# for coding

Unity uses a commercial licensed copy of Mono (see Redirecting…) that comes under a different license allowing them to use it on platforms where you cannot dynamically link; they did not ‘work around’ the LGPL requirements.

Cheers,

I’m not quite sure if overall this a good idea. Btw, good luck.

mono is cool

BUT i only honestly care about the windows platform… i chose unreal for its speed so i would want .NET before mono [since .NET is faster]

so i guess both or nothing because portability is key. start with .NET and do mono later :wink: [just being greedy]

Seems like it’d actually be tougher to not use Mono.

CryMono charges for commercial users to use their solution, I’m guessing that includes a royalty to Xamarin (Mono).

Any news on the C# wrapper? I would like to write a more functional F# wrapper on top of it.

Wouldn’t hold my breath. It will be outrageously complex to integrate efficient c#.

I am asking because someone here said that they had a (working?) C# wrapper but they didn’t give much information.

You know as much as we are about it :stuck_out_tongue: but the guy said he plan to relese it

You mean like:

Cheers

In the near future I hope to see a binding for each existing language. But for now I think that a C# binding is the most popular and intelligent choice. So, good luck guys. :slight_smile:

Yep, exactly.

Just wanted to give an update on my progress for this so far. Over the weekend I got Mono 3.2.3 compiled and embedded in an example C++ project with some simple invokes. Also started on the Unreal Engine plugin for it.

The biggest task now is creating all the bindings between C++ and C#, mainly just time consuming and will be a work in progress.