Modular SciFi: Hallways Submitted

Hi SE_JonF,
I bought the package some days ago and just gave it a try. The models are well made and the textures are perfect for what I have in mind. I like the style too. The overall quality is awesome, thanks for making this package available. However, I have to add that the modules are not modular at all. That or I don’t know how to use them correctly, because it looks like they all have random dimensions. Basically, the parts are not easy to use together. I have checked the example maps that comes with the package, they look great too, but if you don’t know exactly what is the size and use of each part, you are going to have a hard time to mimic those corridors using the set. Corridor parts like these must be modular and easy to use with a grid setting inside unreal engine.

If you check out the other sci-fi pack available on the marketplace, you will notice that all the walls, windows and doors are modular and easy to use.

I kind of feel disappointed that this one is not modular like that, even though the name says so.

Hi Brunogruber,

Thank you for your purchase. The first and subsequent images above speaks for itself in regards to the packages modularity. Future entries in the series that are in the works now will also build upon that even further. They also adhere to the 10cm grid, and were developed using the ue4 grid standards. The assets here were constructed as two rooms upon creation: the main hallway, the 4 doorway room. They were designed to create those initially. When creating the example levels, I wanted to test the extent of the customization which led to the images you see above. The hallways in images 5 and 7 above were created using the pieces from the main hall and 4 way room. The wall in the center of the image of image 10 was another similar use of assets. Specifically the back portion.

The pieces do not have random dimensions, what you are most likely referring to are two pieces: the very back of the wall in image 10, and 2 of the floor panels in images 5 and 7 at the beginning and end of the hallway. Rather than use the same main hallway floor, I wanted to reuse the floor assets from the 4 way room to break up the repetitiveness. In order to fit them, I had to tweak the overall size of the panel (Floor panel C I believe) to fit the available space which still fell within the 10cm grid, the piece itself was just too big. I considered making the size changes outside of the engine and just reimporting the assets with the different dimensions, but ultimately decided not to because I didn’t want to artificially inflate the number of meshes in the package. I try to stay away from duplicate assets as much as I can. There was one case where I couldn’t avoid that with regards to a wall panel, but felt it wasn’t necessary given the dimensions I applied to the aforementioned two assets were sufficient and did not warrant new duplicate meshes.

Again the assets all adhere to the 10cm grid, even the two variants with modified xyz values. I figured putting these in the example maps would be sufficient, but if this is causing unintended confusion I’ll see how I can go about just adding the meshes to the available collection. I don’t know when I’ll be able to do so, I’ve been trying to get in contact with Epic since the pack went live back in December to gather information on how I would update my pack for engine updates, as well as ongoing support. As soon as I hear word from them I’ll be sure to update you as to how soon I can get unmodified versions of those two assets in the package. If I could I’d mail the additional assets to you which would be quicker, but I don’t think I’m allowed to do that. Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

SE_JonF, thanks for the feedback on the matter. It seems that I was doing it wrong by using the 50cm grid.

Hi Brunogruber,

Glad to see that resolved your problem. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. You can always reach me here.

Also, don’t hesitate to make suggestions for content you would like to see in the next 2 packs. They are in the works right now, so I can see about getting specific requests in if at all possible.

Is there a thread where people is posting requests for the next packs? I have some ideas, but maybe someone already posted them. I would actually love to see some sci-fi laboratory meshes. Like large glass tubes (http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090827202956/starcraft/images/7/72/HyperionLab.Jpg), computers and medical equipment such as stretchers. For the base architecture, I would like to see more windows, doors and catwalks.

Hi Brunogruber,

Yes, you can post feedback for what you’d like to see here or the WIP thread in my signature. Either works as I monitor both of them. =) Someone mentioned windows earlier and I plan to deliver that with this next pack. More doors are also in the works to, want to give a variety of sizes and shapes. I’ll see what I can do about the catwalks, have to see how I can fit it in. SciFi Laboratory content is a big thing too, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to fit it in first upcoming pack because of the amount of content I’d like to put in it, but we’ll see. If I can squeeze it in there, I will. I appreciate the feedback!

Keep an eye on the WIP thread too, as I will be posting updates of the packs in development. Want to get one out this upcoming week to let people see what is in store for the next pack.

Nice work. For the record I think 60 bucks is pretty fair for the work involved.

I’ll probably buy this pack just to prototype my game but that’s because I wish to aim for a different scifi look and I’d like to improve my art skills.

I’d be interested in a scifi pack of bits and pieces. eg. Computer terminal, screens and other random SciFi thingamabobs.

Hi Bino,

Thanks. =) I tried to make it as fair as I could without undervaluing the work. I’m looking into how I would incorporate props in the upcoming pack which focuses on interiors. As I mentioned in my update yesterday, I have a lot of stuff I want to add in this pack architecturally, but also with props. Computers, screens, lab equipment, and many other prop pieces. The thing is, do I put it all in a HUGE pack with a price tag that will reflect all of the content, or split it up. The next pack is going to be 2-3 times the size of the first one, so it will be tricky. I’m very excited to be able to show the stuff I’ve been working on lately. I revealed a little bit yesterday in the WIP thread.

Good luck with your game, and improving your artistic skills!

Hey! I just wanted to thank everyone who supported this pack so far on the marketplace. Currently there’s no way to email purchasers directly, so hopefully this thread will suffice for now. I have some pretty exciting things in the works that I can’t wait to announce, be on the lookout in the near future!