MiniMap with Texture instead of Scene Capture 2D

There would be some tweaking around the collision sphere, actually, you need to replace it with a collision box but this requires some changes in the widget itself as it currently expects a collision sphere. I’ll add an entry on the github wikipage in next few days :wink:

You quoted the wrong text I think, but it’s okey I got your point. Hey in order to avoid “spamming” on your thread can you pm your skype? Don’t need any help now, but would like to chat about something with you.

or you can use a pawn detection

You mean like pawn sensing? That could work, interesting idea.

Nice minimap, I was wondering what is the best way to generate map textures for use with the widget?

What do you mean? That the texture must be a square?

Yes, it must be a square so width == height. On the github wiki page there is some more explanation, eventually this could clarify the requirements.

Hello, ,
Thanks a lot for the asset. It is pretty useful and well implemented.
I have a question though,
How would I add the minimap as a widget within my own HUD? Meaning that I don’t want to use the “create widget” node in the player blueprint.
I’ve added it as a widget in my own HUD, along with health bars and such, but the MapMaterial_M doesn’t seem to load.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

Hey Jorge,

thanks for the positive feedback :slight_smile:

How do you create you hud? I’ve tried now to create a custom widget, added two progress bars and the minimap to it. Only thing that I’ve changed was the level Dimension and Texture Dimension:

pic2.png

So from what I see it should work out of the box. Could it be that is generally not working for you? Have you tried if it works with the “create widget” approach?

Cheers,

Thanks a lot for the answer,

I’m tweaking your minimap widget to work as a multiplayer component, meaning that I can detect enemies or allies and such.
That being said, I worked around adding the widget to my HUD in the UMG designer and opted for using the “create widget” node.
I was creating the widget in the player character, which caused it to duplicate and overlay on top of one another, since event begin play is called every time a character is spawned.
I managed to fix this issue by creating the widget in the controller instead, using event begin play.

Multiplayer and networking are fairly new to me at the moment, but I’m getting the hang of it and getting stuff done haha.

Well, what do you see on the map? Anything? Green Background (like in the example project)?
Could it be eventually that you’re missing the connection between player and map? At one place the minimap is getting the location of the player character, maybe you need to change there something as you’re using it on the controller? You can find that piece under the minimap widget, On Tick, under one of the Update function. Check out what you get there, if the values make sense.

Multiplayer isn’t my strong side either so not sure if I can be a huge help here :confused:

Actually, now that I see it, the minimap is being copied twice when running two players :confused:

Seeing that the only solution is to add it as a widget on my main HUD, I’ll have to work on that.
The issue there is simple:
When I add the minimap widget to my HUD in the designer, the map texture doesn’t show up. I’ve tried creating the dynamic material instance in my HUD blueprint, but without success. It shows only a blank texture.

Oddly enough, I used a circular mask in the map material to make the minimap round, and when I fire up the game, the mask does show up.

Any ideas? I’ll post my success story if I get it to work haha.

Can you post a picture? Have you set the Texture and Map Dimensions correctly?
Is it working anywhere as you expect? I’m asking this as it could be a version problem, you probably use latest version.
This sounds like a problem with the map material, had the same issue just now as I forgot to set the correct dimensions so the placement was not working correctly.

Note: When using UMG in a multiplayer setting, make sure all the logic and widget creation is happening only on the Remote (typically Client) side. I wrote a little tutorial that shows how to use dynamic material instances on a Widget, which might help. Note the last step, where the creation of the widget only happens on Remote.

That was the entire thing. I was scouring over more advanced functions, and the thing that was wrong was that the default value of the level dimension was “1”.

Thanks a lot, . Hopefully I’ll get the multiplayer minimap to work and I’ll post my results.

Nice post mate, I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing out.

Same here, I had checked all functions yesterday looking for the issue and totally overlooked that basic think. Good luck with your project :wink:

Hey Fabsterpal, I am interested in your approach of displaying unlit sphere in place of NPC or players. Can you explain the process in detail. I am using SceneCapture 2D

Hi , quick question: I’ve tried to upgrade your plugin to ue4.18 and it seemed to have worked, but after attempting to follow the instructions that are on the github page the map doesn’t seem to work and the brush part of tracking the units on it crashes the whole engine. Is there any workaround the problem?

HI All,
Loving the minimap project demo,
but can anyone tell me how to get the dimensions of my own level. cant figure out how he came up with his default values of 1500.0 , is it 1500 from the center?

Hellyo,so i’m not completly sure as i can’t see that project atm,but based on how i’ve set it up it’s essentially the scale of the minimap(if i’m remembering right)