Metalness in DBuffer decals

@akaChrisV I’d like to see this in official builds, but the chances are slim. I’ve heard multiple times now that Epic’s rendering engineers are pretty reluctant to merge anything that increases complexity and render time, and my changes to the engine do both. I’ll definitely try to create a pull request for metalness support in dbuffer decals, because that’s doable without much overhead or additional render targets in the dbuffer. But the whole thing? I wouldn’t hold my breath.

What I’d like to manage is to get some kind of dialogue with Epic engineers rolling, to scope out under which circumstances and to what extent these additional features could be integrated. How far they’d be willing to go, what the major obstacles are, stuff like that.

looking at the feature request backlog chances seem to be slim anyhow unfortunately… maybe try to sneak in the metalness support as a bug report /fix suggestion. Those seem to have a much bigger chance of moving through the pipeline… One could argue that the current system is actually broken in regards to how decals look on metal so not a big stretch… :slight_smile:

Is it possible to release this change to decals as a plugin ?

@CattusEx Nope, changes deep inside the renderer are required for this to work. I’d like to be proven wrong, but UE is not built with that degree of modularity in mind.

Mhm… this comes from the latest Dev-Rendering merge.
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/e3ec1a0d945833a644c62bcda321b51b4f168df3

2 Likes

Is it possible to make a world displacement or a even a tessellation based decal that will modify vertices underneath the decal like seen in DICE’s games ?

[USER=“69”]Cheshire Dev[/USER] Sounds great! The expansion of DBufferC from 2 to 4 channels is what I did at first, too. If you don’t care about selective blending, it’s a good place to put the metallic & specular information. Seems like we’re finally getting feature parity between GBuffer and DBuffer decals… Well, better late than never, I guess :slight_smile:

I’m curious to see how well I can integrate their changes with mine.

Awesome work ramesjandi! I really like the selective blending idea.
The link to GitHub seems dead unfortunately, where can we find your changes now?

Hi there! maybe we could show our appreciation here:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/5463/files

This guy (@gnjohnson) is proposing a much needed improvement (Dbuffer multi-opacity support). On backlog since Feb :frowning:

@ramesjandi
Thx for your work. Hope Epic will implement it, at least as an experimental feature. AO and metalness is no voodoo magic - other engines (also inhouse) use it for years.:rolleyes:

**and-rad **this is amazing, that separated opacities and is a must feature to work with decals on meshes! is there any possibility we can see this as part of an official build of UE4 soon?

The pull request has been sitting backlogged on github for nearly two years without any updates. It’s anyones guess if it will happen soon, if ever.