Memory leak in UnrealEngineLauncher

Glad to hear it!

Hello, i have same problem for a month ago, i have formated and reinstaled everithing and the problem still here: My Verbose log : MEGA For 2 days of ue4 launcher still run, i go to 2go memory, after 5 days, 5go .

Hey v3ry,

Thank you for your report. We are aware of the problem and will implement the fix as soon as it is ready.

So, I think the UE Launcher leak is from downloading content, it increases around 30-300MB/1-3s while content is being downloaded. After the download is complete, it stops increasing (for the most part), but it doesn’t release the memory. On my Mac using 10.10.1 it’s reproducible every time I download something like an example project.

Initially opening Launcher, memory is ~234MB, downloading the Content Examples took me ~15m and bumped my Launcher memory to 3gigs. Downloading another item increases it at that rate until the files are done, and still doesn’t release memory.

So, if people are downloading example content overnight and depending on their connection speeds, the high increase in memory could be attributed to what I’m seeing. Not downloading anything, the memory increases ~1-2MB/1-2m, but also fluctuates down, yet always increases in a net positive. It may be from a ping for content resources for the news feed. I really think the memory problems are tied to something in how the Launcher is handling downloads, like keeping the content in memory but not flushing it when done writing it to disk.

Hey Lane, can you get us a verbose log of this issue?

Here’s the logs from yesterday. I got some crashes from trying to download the Memory Game example and from opening/closing the Launcher to see Activity Monitor memory. link text

Ok, so I turned on veryverbose in DefaultEngine.ini, this was what was happening in Activity Monitor memory:

• UE Launcher Start: 248MB
  • Downloaded 751MB Example: 1.1GB
  • DownloadedElemental Demo (4.1GB): 5.94GB
  • During verifying, kernel_task: from 605MB → 4.53GB
  • Done verifying, kernel_task: 549MB
  • UE Launcher memory stays at ~5.94GB

You can download the verbose logs (16MB compressed) at:

Hi Lane,

Which version of the Launcher are you currently using? When the Launcher is open it’s listed in the bottom-left corner.

Version 1.9.2-2361519

I’ve added a link to your info to our report. Our developers will be investigating the issue.

Thanks,

TJ

Hey Lane, just double-checking. Were you seeing these results with the ‘Real Memory’ column enabled (it isn’t enabled by default)? The General Memory column just shows the maximum amount of memory that that instance of the application has ever used (which matches up with what you’re seeing).