Maya LT 2015 or Blender 2.71?

actually just for the record I didn’t infer you had a poor system at all, there are a lot of things that could make an app run badly, yes it could be blender but it could also be the drivers for your specific gpu might not be 100% compatible with blender or it could be any number of different things. also its not a lowly laptop, don’t get me wrong its not the best but its ok;)

I have no problem with blenders UI, I like it but that’s just my opinion, however you are saying that because you don’t like the UI they must not know hot to make a solid UI or because it doesn’t run well on 1 specific system (yours in this case) it must be badly written I can see how someone could see part of what you typed as being a one sided point of view.

you seem to have been insulted by SememeS saying your view is one sided, this^^ could be as much an insult to SememeS as what he said to you, I think we should all try to keep things less heated, don’t you?

you kind of just blew up on someone for expressing there view about your view witch is just as unprofessional, isn’t it? , don’t take that the wrong way, it wasn’t meant as an insult or anything, just saying:).

Everyone has a right to their views and opinions. I think this is far too subjective to say “this” is better than “that”

Choose the software that is best for you, whether that be Maya or Blender or any other 3d software you prefer.
Choose what helps you flow with your creation process, if you’re constantly fighting against a software it’s clearly not the right choice for you.

Where did I say, blender is worse, or that maya is ‘better’ ?

Please. show me. I said, I have ‘issues’ with blender, what is it going to take to make you people understand ?

If not, you really should read what people say, one heck of a lot BETTER :wink: Other software, works 100% ‘better’ for me , as in zero lag in every place, but I never had the intent , to say other software is ‘superorior’. If blender lags for me, its giving me a sub-par experience, so why would I continue to use it , and why would I not have the right to express myself, about something valid.

Again, it has NOTHING to do with ‘better’ or ‘bad choice’, I’ts about blender being written poorly, otherwise I would not get the slowdown that I do. Blame AMD if you want, but you know they have api’s out there to use, to make software with, so I sincerely doubt its on my end. Either way, I never said, again, that blender was worse than anything else, where did you get that impression ? :wink:

I said, I was having issues. I really don’t get, how you got that confused about that :wink:

cheers
nl

If I say I don’t like the gui, because,blah reasons, why does that make me ONE SIDED ?

It means, I dont’ like the gui.

That doesnt’ make me some one sided ninny does it ???

Im sorry, but man,m this topic is getting WAY off topic, as if it wasn’t weird ‘already’.

Don’t be surprised if epic locks,this tight.

When did it become ‘dirty’ btw , to have a opinion, and be labled as ‘one sided’ ??

I wish you would Prove to me, where I said something, that could be in anyway, as ONE sided. Its opinion, and last I checked , I don’t know where you are, but in the u.s. we have the right to express our opinions , without being called…one sided. Its one opinion, just as yours is, just as valuable, and I guarantee you, just as accurate and real as any other opinions. Im sorry if you don’t like my opinion, but its not fraudulent. Is that clear now ? ;))

Lastly, where did I ‘blow up’ on somebody ? I think you need to turn your sensitivity meter way way down.

Can we therefore stop the games already ? :wink: FIne , you both seem to be ‘blender lovers’, but don’t take your outrage over ‘my opinion’ out on ME. Not cool.

Again to reiterate to you, I blew up at no one, I simply wanted to make absolutely sure, my opinion was clear, and to show how distasteful I thought, your way way over reaction to me, was. Do not mistake that, for someone blowing up.

cheers
nl

I’m sorry I said that your opinion was one-sided and stated as an absolute neighborlee. Ironically my statement was an absolute statement itself.

I personally really like Blender but I’m glad you’ve found good alternatives for your workflow.

I invoke Hitler in the name of closing this thread.

@neighborlee

some issues you pointed at are indeed at the current time annoying issues which can be solved to some extend with available workarounds which are in the dedicated forums.

the big relief is, that the Blender developers are listening to Users which report such unwanted issues and the devs are already tackling those issues for example;

since a few month there is a UI Team available which optimizes the UI.
and ugh I also hate the way the texture system is build - so unoptimized in some cases that it can make a person go insane.

for the pointed performance issues there are works going on to solve them by optimizing the dependency graph engine and a tiny glimpse of it is already available in Blender.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.70/Threaded_Dependency_Graph

due to pixars opensubdiv implementation there are also some speed ups going in for the Viewport and for playback of Animations.
there are vague estimations that opensudiv in Blender might be even showcased on siggraph.

when it comes to making 3D art, AMD cards sadly aren´t a good choice or even a choice at all, they still haven´t gotten an working equivalent for cuda, due to such an important part missing, you are pretty much locked out of almost all available GPU rendering solutions because cuda is a standard in GPU rendering and In case of 3D creation there are more and more tools emerging like 3DCoat whichbenefits of the cuda acceleration.

CUda is on the way out:

" “Nvidia should be congratulated for its invention,” he said. “As a trend, GPGPU is absolutely fantastic and fabulous. But that was then, this is now. Now, collectively our industry doesn’t want a proprietary standard. That’s why people are migrating to OpenCL.” "

from here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/roy-taylor-apu-opencl-cuda-physx,23797.html

Interesting video, though I had a tough time understanding him in places due to language issues.

Good to see open standards being beneficial.

cheers
nl

I never said you were one sided, I said I could see how someone could think your opinion is one sided, that’s all.

I have no idea why you say that, I didn’t say it was “dirty” to have an opinion.

I think you need to take your own advice on that one.

I was only pointing out that what you wrote could have been taken as an insult, it had nothing to do with what you wrote about blender.

sorry but its actually you who aver reacted to what I wrote.

again, I hope you don’t take any of that the wrong way and now understand where I am coming from:)

That was your first mistake, to ‘presume’ what I said ‘could be’ construed as ‘one sided’. Based on what ? :wink: You are still playing with words, showing no ‘proof’ of what you are referring to, thereby engaging in things that ‘heat up’ the forum. Isn’t that silly?

It came out in your reaction, to my having a ‘opinion’, so yes it certainly did. Maybe this is a ‘language’ problem. Do you speak native English ? That ‘can’ , and often does , cause meaning issues. Words can very easily cause misinterpretations, if someone has a less , or even slightly less g rasp on full English. NO offense meant, obviously, just saying, its possible right ?

Furthermore, you said this: " I have no problem with blenders UI, I like it but that’s just my opinion, however you are saying that because you don’t like the UI they must not know hot to make a solid UI or because it doesn’t run well on 1 specific system (yours in this case) it must be badly written I can see how someone could see part of what you typed as being a one sided point of view.
"

There was no reason to get personal about this…I said I didn’t like the GUI, yet I NEVER SAID it was because they ‘can’t make a gui’, did I ? :slight_smile:

I also never Said , that, since it doesn’t run well on my system, and that imho, that means its not written as well as it could be, that intrinsically, that makes blender 'bad ', did I ? :wink: I still standby the comment, and as you can see by the person above who posted, there ARE performance issues in current blender. It’s not just ‘me’ guys…For petes sake,you spend all day attacking someone, just for having ‘issues’ with blender, given my feeling like its my responsibility to ‘share’ those things, on a thread that clearly mentions blender . I just don’t understand that :wink:

All I did was come here to offer a ‘opinion’. Show me where I went wrong, would you ? I responded to both of you, professionally and accurately, based on your own words.

There was no reason, to point that out. I said nothing, whatsoever, that could be seen as,insulting to anyone. Its meaningless to say such things when its quite clear no words of ‘abuse’ , were present, anywhere. Opinions are just that,either agree or disagree, but anything more is just nonsense.

Isn’t this game getting a tad silly ?

Show me, yes again, where I said Anything,offensive, to anyone…They were opinions, about blender usage, because, yes as stated , ’ I was having issues’, and I still do. How is sharing that, offensive ? I did nothing but share, issues I was having, so if someone took issue with that, its their misunderstanding, not mine.

I’m not taking offense to your words, because I completely understand, that you’ve simply misunderstood my meaning. :wink:

Did you see the interaction , between killer ferret ( lol,cute), and I ? I responded, and he in kind, in a very professional way, then I said np man,its all good. Why didn’t that happen, to us ?

ok, one last time.

two things, 1: I don’t make assumptions or presume about anything ever, 2: again I never said you were one sided, if you don’t believe me re-read my previous posts.

again I never said it was “dirty” to have an opinion and I would appreciate it if you didn’t put words in my mouth. while that is clearly a thinly veiled insult yes my NATIVE language is English and you are clearly misinterpreting what I am writing.

I didn’t get personal, you said “the devs have no clue about what makes for a solid UI, just none” so yes you kind of did.

I merely pointed out that you seemed to be offended by what SememeS said and that saying things like “I don’t think you thought that one through, when you typed it” could be just as offensive, that’s all.

no you clearly don’t and for that I am sorry as It may be because I am not explaining things correctly.

@anyone else reading this, sorry for all this nonsense, I wont be responding to this thread again unless someone asks a specific question about blender:)

You left something important out:

" Furthermore, you said this: " I have no problem with blenders UI, I like it but that’s just my opinion, however you are saying that because you don’t like the UI they must not know hot to make a solid UI or because it doesn’t run well on 1 specific system (yours in this case) it must be badly written I can see how someone could see part of what you typed as being a one sided point of view.
"

There was no reason to get personal about this…I said I didn’t like the GUI, yet I ’ never said’ it was because they ‘can’t make a gui’, did I ?

You said, it could be ‘seen as one sided’, thereby accepting their point of view as , valid, so yes you most certainly did egg things on, and you had no reason to do it, period. You just caused trouble, obviously because you’re in love with blender ( which is fine!) , and how dare anyone speak about it in ANY negative light.

That is blenders problem, I’ve seen it over and over again throughout time, and Ive seen it on blender.org’s own forum, where someone commented about the ‘community reaction’, causing trouble in anyone daring to offer suggestions and point out ‘issues’ , with blender ( and yes as I recall, it WAS over the GUI) . So ya, I’ve been around plenty long enough, and I remember all of it.

This got WAY beyond the scope of this topic, and you let your love of ‘blender’ rule you. Why else did you ‘assume’ I was hating on blender’s GUI in some hot head fashion, when all I did was offer my own thoughts, about my frustrations ‘with blender’. You seem to be struggling with a very simple subject, which is I am a blender user, and I am allowed my own opinions, and if you don’t like it, YOu need to ask yourself, why does it bother you so much ? ;)(

Now, Im sure i’ll use blender at some point in the …ahem…future, because I have gained from the hard work of that community, but man I tell you, I do not appreciate attitudes like yours, that think just because I happen to have a informed,yes ,a informed decision about something someone on THIS forum, ‘said I was right about’, does not give you some heavenly right to jump down my throat for hating on ‘your baby’. I think you made it personal :wink: I ‘had performance issues’, and I said so. THe gentleman who posted the ‘video’ said I was right, and about gui issues too. I was right, to make my comments. Leave your attitude at home, next time please.

I’m sorry if people around here, aren’t used to others defending their name against odd/wrong accusations, but where I come from ( IOwa), we do just that.

I really despise this kind of bickering, but I, and I think anyone else would, had no intention of you twisting my words or my opinions as :

" they must not know hot to make a solid UI or because it doesn’t run well on 1 specific system (yours in this case) it must be badly written " .

Even if I ‘had said that directly’, and I did not, I would still have the right to do it, and I should be respected for doing so.

Be happy…make kewl epic things, and instead of jumping down peoples throats over insulting your ‘blender’, just debate things instead ? :wink: NOvel concept :wink:

I am also done. THis went on WAY too long, but I had no intention of letting anyone make it look like I was some ‘bad’ guy, for offering a informed decision, about how blender runs for me ( and I was verified by the gentleman/woman, with the video!) :slight_smile:

cheers
nl

Hmm, how do you go from this

and this

to this?

Naturally this spawned some reactions. Sounds like you’re just ranting at this point. You already assumed it being an isolated issue, which it probably is.

You don’t need to warn anyone. Blender is free, everyone can install it and check if there are performance issues. Would be much appreciated if we could move on, the topic is kind of interesting.

THIS

When I was trying out all the different music software I went through a lot of different programs till I settled on Cakewalk’s Sonar. It just made sense to me. Some stuff is intuitive for some people and not for others, give it a shot, and go with what works for you.

Ranting, hm really…and btw , there is NO reason it should have spawned any negative reactions , whatsoever, its not ‘personal’, on any level, its about my views on blender vs maya lt, so how is what I have to say, not fair game, and its not your ‘role’ to play thought police anyway, now is it :wink:

So, another ‘blender user’(?) who thinks I don’t have the right to speak my mind, about how blender operates ?

Someone on this forum, already said, its not just ME, that there are current ‘performance issues and gui issues’, did you miss his post, and conveniently choose to attack me for some perceived inconsistency ? Really ? :wink:

Just…lovely…

I was ‘done’ with the other guy, but I made no promise to be done, if anyone else made wild accusations, about my conduct.

Can’t you guys just get over this already , for the good of the blender community ? :wink:

And btw, its not up to you what I choose to say to whom, as long as Im ‘civil’, and I most certainly have been, got it ? :wink:

:wink:

Trouble is, it has nothing at all to do with that. It’s not (just) about ‘what works’, its what doesn’t work, and it should, right ?

If blender isn’t working right on my system, I seriously doubt, others aren’t seeing issues too, wouldn’t that be logical to conclude ?

Is there something ‘so special’ about my system, that warrants blender to be so laggy in so many areas ( where no other 3d apps does!),are you kidding me with this ? :wink:

Come on guys,this is nonsense.

I spoke up, because I felt my experiences might benefit someone else, and if you people commenting here don’t get that, it makes me wonder what your motives are.

AS I noted above,. another user clearly said that there ARE performance issues in current blender and gui ones too,so don’t go shouting at me, for blenders current issues. Make sense ? :wink:

I digress though, it seems there just is no conversing with some of you, at least the ONE guy , that mentioned the perf.and gui issues. GETS IT. He was kind about it, understood my issues and talked to me like a adult, what happened elsewhere is just weird, so Moving right.,.along to making games and not making noise ( others can if they want, I guess ).

cu
nl

@neighborlee

I would love to be able and see/use more options to accelerate 3D tools. If OpenCL gets better, I would be all in. :slight_smile:
OpenCL for example is in a few cases available in Blender and it is great to have it.

Roy Taylor is a really great salesman from AMD, he promised several times not only to Blender Developers but to many others who wanted to integrate OpenCL that it gets fixed for AMD cards.
Apple for example joined AMD in 2013 in the efforts to help with the improvement of OpenCL.

so there people can read and see that Apple and AMD are not laughing at Blender users but instead trying to get and keep customers.

Since the release of the article on toms hardware in 2013 there were some promising catalyst releases but recently two or three month ago the development with OpenCL products on both sides stalled and developers not only from Blender but from Furryball and other commercial tools have given up or put it on hold, the only renderer I know of which can use OpenCL is Luxrender and developers from that GPU renderer are also reporting issues with OpenCL;
http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11009

AMD made something great with Mantle to get back into the horse-race and Nvidea now has to find a way to be equal in the gaming area.
the thing is, we as 3D artists, game producers, etc. have different needs on the Graphicscards and not always is a perfect gaming card on which AMD is really good at a good thing for us.

In general to everyone;
the Blenderartists forum has rules which are clearly forbidding quote battles and other issues;

http://blenderartists.org/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

it might be a good idea to apply those rules here whenever Blender is mentioned to save ourselves from flame wars or disgruntled Users :wink:

nobody here wants to hurt Blender or its reputation we are past that and the best way to keep that, is to be as the rest of the Blender community as helpful to others as possible while producing great art.

some postings -everyone can have a bad day- shouldn’t be the reason to avoid a program or the people using it. <- generally spoken because it applies for Maya as for Blender and other programs and its users.

I was talking about those tips to get Blender working much faster, it should help in getting big speed ups in the Viewport.
First post has the tips summarised
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?257323-What-everybody-needs-to-know-about-Blender-Viewport-performance

I hope the offtopic route can soon be abandoned because both Maya and Blender deserve better.

Nope. But I see how it is now. I agree with everything you say, let’s move on.