Maya Cleanup question?

Thanks for !

There’s something I’m missing. It’s very frustrating…

Does the still persist with the mesh generated via the script?

I’m trying it right now.

Thanks for the script but it didn’t work. It generated a new mesh, but I still have the same with the tessellated spike with one of the materials.

Ah. In that case I can still take a look if you want to send me relevant assets. Otherwise I can’t think of anything off the top of my head that we haven’t already checked.

I sent you a PM. Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay have been busy. I’ve found the problem.

Since we were able to rule out the mesh and UVs it was obviously the skeleton, so I made a quick script that checks each joint against anything I figured could cause an like .

script here checks for joints with scale values that are not 1.0:

import maya.cmds as cmds

cmds.select(hi = 1)
for i in cmds.ls(os = 1):
    for x in cmds.xform(i, q = 1, r = 1, s = 1):
        if x != 1.0:
            print i

And it output :

root|pelvis|spine_01|spine_02|spine_03|clavicle_l|upperarm_l
root|pelvis|spine_01|spine_02|spine_03|clavicle_r|upperarm_r
root|pelvis|spine_01|spine_02|spine_03|clavicle_r|upperarm_r
root|pelvis|spine_01|spine_02|spine_03|clavicle_r|upperarm_r|lowerarm_r

In the channel box Maya shows 3 floating points and will round if necessary. However, Maya is accurate to 16 floating point values so if you aren’t using python for error checking then it’s no wonder you didn’t find it.

These joints had these values: [1.0, 0.99999999999999989, 1.0]

Selecting the upper/lower arms for each side and setting to 1.0 again in the channel box then rebinding the mesh solved the error.

The small script I posted above, if you select your skeleton’s root and run it, should give you a list of every erroneous joint, when their scale is back to 1.0 the error should be gone.

Thanks for looking into for me. I when I ran the Python script after selecting my root, is what it came up with. Not sure what I’m missing or if Im looking at the wrong thing…

You need to read the output in the script editor. All it does is tell you which joints have bad scale values.

Where do I see the output? I’m assuming it’s above the the Mel/Python tabs. in the top section of the window. is what it outputted:

The interesting part is that I also have that tessellation when I output my character from 3DS Max too, using their system.

I think its an U4 since it only happens when importing a rigged mesh,

Here is another test mesh, time a basic model with a custom skeleton created in Maya with the join tools. I also included a non-rigged mesh. If you import them both into U4 and assign a tessellated material into the channels, the non-rigged mesh tessellates correctly and the rigged one has the spiking issues.