Map dissapeared from Project

Hello , thanks for reply.
In my case, the map is visible in explorer, but when i go to Load Map… he’s not visible.
Version 4.10.

I was using version 4.10.0 (Windows). Don’t know the exact circumstances when this happened but I was either building light when it crashed or was playing the map when it crashed. After a restart of the entire PC the map was gone. Hope this helps narrowing it down finding the issue

Try importing your map to a new project and see if that works. It’s possible though that your map has gotten corrupted since it’s not showing up in the actual editor.

Let me know!

Timothy,

Did your map still show up in the explorer but not in the editor? If so, please try what I suggested to and let me know whether or not that has resolved your issue.

Thank you!

I try this and not work, when i import the map the scene fades to black.
Thanks.

If moving your map to a new project doesn’t restore it’s functionality, the map is more than likely corrupted. Could you please provide me a sample of your project in a link on the forums? You can send it to me via a link, through a private message. I can then check here and see if I can get it to load.

Thank you!

Hi ,

I deleted the map because it did not work anymore. If I have the issue again, I will try what you suggested and write feedback here.

Thanks.

This might not help , but hopefully it helps anyone else who runs across this. I had the same issue and was able to “fix” it by deleting the .umap file from \Documents\Unreal Projects[projectname]\Content* and replacing it with the most recent copy found in \Documents\Unreal Projects[projectname]\Saved\Backup.

When I renamed the backup file to match the name of my level, UE4 immediately recognized it, and it showed up in my Content Browser.

It there an actual fix for this issue?

Ok Folks, nothing helped, it still happened in 4.16.2, another fix:
It seems that the Engine registeres the Mapfiles anywhere. So if you have a mapfile in the Contentfolder that does not show up in your Project anymore… Do the following:

1. Close Unreal Editor and Cut the uasset and umap files from the map folder where they are and paste them anywhee in a temp folder outside Unreal Project Folder.
  2. If you do not have the file anymore or its broken you can search for the most recent version in Unreal Projects\Projectname\Saved\Autosave and Backup Folders. Take the most recent version and copy and paste to a temp folder outside Unreal Project Folder and rename them to the original Map name.
  3. Open Editor and File > New Level > Empty Map, press Build and than File > Save Current as… and save the empty map with the exact Name and in the exact Folder of the Map you have lost. This should work because we moved the files to a temp folder in step 1 or 2. Then File > Save All.
  4. When you saved open File > New Level > Empty Map again but dont save it so that we can overwrite the files Unreal created in step 3 without errors.
  5. in Windows Explorer Overwrite the Mapfiles that Unreal created with the ones you have moved to the temp folder in step one or two.
  6. Now Unreal Editor should see the Map again and you should be able to open the map again inside the editor.

BOOM ! There was my map again ! :smiley:

Easy. Isnt it ? :smiley:

1 Like

This just happened to me. The persistent level and some of its sublevels went missing in the content browser. Deleting Intermediate/CachedAssetRegistry.bin did not help.

It’s likely due to a corrupt save or something similar because rolling back to an earlier version of the Maps directory in source control made them appear again. Getting the most recent version made the same files disappear. This could be replicated by other users.

I noticed that although the levels didn’t appear in the content browser, they still appeared in ‘Recent Levels’. I could load the persistent level normally from that menu, even though “Open…” didn’t show those levels. Once the level was opened, I could view all the levels in the “Open…” menu. Restart Unreal and they were missing again.

I fixed the problem without rolling back by opening the persistent level using “Recent Levels” then chose “Save All Levels”. I then Built lighting and other level data, saved again, and checked in. Fixed.

Using v4.19

1 Like

Hi boys and girls,

since my file was also corrupt, but was originally migrated from another project, I could hard copy the umap file from the resource project to my actual project (just override).
Since all assets like textures, shaders, models were not corrupt, I could open the map and most of the stuff was recovered. Lighting and Fog stuff was not, since this is saved in the umap file of course.

But now I don’t have to start all over!!
Maybe this will help people, who originally migrated environment maps into their project.

Same issue here. The projects and files are ok. But it seems to be a bug at the latest release.
That’s a pretty major issue, because you can’t migrate any levels anymore from any other projects.

Please send this to the Dev Team for a speedy fix - it’s needed.
Thanks a lot

Holy smokes, I forgot this was an option. Thank you so much. I was going to cry cause i lost my project and my deadline is in 5 hours LOL!

Hey there I’m using 5.0 ,and changed some settings ,and forgot which I changed . So when I returned to my project all the mesh detail was missing . Then I remembered in project setting I searched clipping I had it on 100,000 . Location Project Settings/ General Settings /Settings/Nar Clip Plane . I changed it to 1 now i can see close up to a plant to place its fruit between its nodes . When clipping is at 100,000 the scene will show only the sky ,and dome 1,000 some far clipping. When clipping is at -1.0 the scene is completely black just in case anyone sees these problems . Double looking over at project settings for clipping may help you ,and I hope this can help someone .

Same issue. I tried everything that was suggested here, but without any result. I lost “just” a few days of work, could be worse but hey…

Unreal should implent a big welcome screen with strong suggestion to make regular project backups. Epic would not do that of course because the engine would look less credible but that could save many lifes.