Making your game moddable.

A localization mod is exactly what the UE4 modding support should be stellar at. Provided, of course, that your modding kit includes the po files and your modder understand UE4 well enough to import the translated version, set up a new language and cook it as a mod.

The basic problem with UE4 modding is just that - the cooking and patching infrastructure is quite powerful, but you need to understand every bit of it to truly offer mod support and spend weeks or months on it.

UE4 games made by Bamco (Bandai Namco ICYMI) doesn’t have the modkit provided by the devs yet it manages to have mod applied all over the place, at least cosmetic mods. Especially Soulcalibur 6.
Without the official toolkit/dumbed down UE4 SDK, active modders (those who create mods for your game) will inevitably have to get their hands to UE4 SDK and U4Pak to make/replace custom content especially custom meshes. Passive modders (those who just apply mods to their installation of your game) just have to deal with U4Pak.

If you just want to allow mesh mods or audio mods, or any cosmetic mods, really, you can leave it that way and let the modders do their job with U4Pak and making the cosmetic mod in a fresh UE4 SDK, and you can leave your game in Shipping build then call it a day.
This results you unable to integrate your game with Steam Workshop, but then Grand Theft Auto V is still moddable without Steam Workshop and the mods are collected independently.

On the other hand, if you want to allow custom script to be added to your game, that is where things can get confusing real quick and I’m sure we’re scratching our head around it. The wiki provided by seems to get around this case, but I still don’t know how to obtain the profile in a shipped game or providing the profile in the game files.

You can have the materials and code notarized and legally signed with copyright… I know it can seem damning to release source-code for anything but having a notarized and copyrighted source-code is the way to go.

Releasing marketplace assets with your mod kit is actually completely forbidden, so if you were using anything you didn’t do, you’re out of luck.

Am i correct in that, you cannot transfer any .uasset packages, because they won’t open?

I am still getting used to the file directories and format structures… but i heard that once a .uasset is saved, it can only be opened as an asset in the ‘Project’s’ Content browser.

You are disallowed from sharing store assets in a mod kit. The marketplace EULA tells you as much. So you only can make them usable in a mod kit after making sure they were stripped from editor content and unusable in new projects, which I don’t know personally how to do, and feels like much more work than anything I’m willing to do on a mod kit.

Overall it’s just too painful.

@StrangerGwenn I read your comments, if things are like that I think I’m going to forget about anything modding with UE4, I was already going to open source my game anyway so it doesn’t make sense to spend time on this feature.

And if for example I made a plugin to transform the editor into a modding tool I’d have to give support to that and I don’t think it’s worthy.

Too bad, I’ve been waiting years for news on this and I was temporarily excited when I saw the launch of mod.io but then coming here and seeing the situation is disappointing to say the least.

I am currently finishing a game and i was looking at making my game easy to mod so can someone be kind enough to summarize if this is possible without requiring a IQ of 300 + from modders?

If modders have experience with UE4 then is this enough for them to make content for my game or does it require a lot of work on my side to facilitate the task for them?

I came across this thread and wanted to drop a line about mod.io. It’s a company that aims to make modding simple with their platform agnostic tools. I did a livestream with them earlier this year if you’re curious about it:

/XZxHIo2C5aA

I know this will sound Unreal but is there a better forum to ask question about modding since no one answer my previous post for more than a week?

I’m guessing modding support was abandoned? wish there was a proper guide to doing it. also MOD.io is not user friendly and their documentation made my head hurt.

That’s very interesting, thank you for the info! I’ll watch the video soon and consider the mod.io for my next project.

I’m new to the modding stuff, so as an example, let’s say we have a simple brick building system in our game. We want to allow users/players to create their own creations with these default bricks and share them with others, so others can easily load them into their games. Will something like that be possible with mod.io? Or is there a better method for that?
… I know that I should ask the mod.io guys and I’ll do it soon, but maybe someone here already uses this platform?..

where can we find this information. it seems to not exist and its already 2020.

I have been finishing up a way to make a game easily moddable, without requiring users to download a modified engine version to do so. I found this method last year:

It requires the original base project to be structured a specific way, but only requires users to download the regular Launcher engine or through github. If anyone is going this route let me know. Using ModSkeleton, the base skeleton project is also created, to be redistributable to modders. Then the original/unmoddable portions of the game are built seperately, similar to how DLC is pakked. The modders use the “Modding uproject”, but as an independent module, not requiring the entire original base uproject.

So the game would be released with a base skeleton uproject users could open, create mods, then pak them as new DLC. The original base game would not be accessible, as it would already be in seperate cooked paks. It would have to be structured specifically, but can still be hooked in to post-mortem through the original uproject and new content injected through seperate, smaller mod paks.

yeah this ModSkeleton seems to be a good choice, I wrote you a PM, because it seems to be the proper approach I need for my game :slight_smile:

Well, this should definitely helps a lot: “New example project and plugin for mod support released” from Epic. Here the source code: https://github.com/EpicGames/UGCExample and docs.

(thanks @ !)

Five days after the Blogpost and the Repo is already down :smiley:

The project is there. You must be logged in Github and have your account properly setup: Unreal Engine on GitHub

**VictorLerp **greetings, you’ve recently release the UGC framework and stuff. We want to use it to provide our users ability to make mods for our product. But right now I don’t see any way to do modifications without engine source build and all the game content as it is. The UGC tutorial at some point states that “you can test at this point”. And I can test. I have modding working, but how should I allow users to be able to do mods?

I don’t think that modding is great idea because most of known companies in thier terms don’t allow users for configure game ini or use debug console command for hacks or even modding everything that is not releated to Textures 2D. The worst illegal thing is reverse engineering and using assets for own commercial use. But there’s a lot of RPG or MMORPG games like TERA that allow players to customise characters with various classes and equipment.
But unlike to Single-Player story games that are not interested by large community (opposite to Half-Life games) are moddable a little bit.
So if you have any mod and you want to use this thing into game or edit something ingame the best solution for that is knowndlege with programming language like C/C++, basic information about your game and knowdlege about HexEditor to change the value of bytes in game file to the default values becuase any packages are checked by game executable. And after replacing some class in package through your program or tool you need increase this file size to the default size by adding empty 00 that does nothing but if your file is large than before just decrease size to default bytes but I’m not sure about that because it may delete some part of another content inside package.
So I think the best idea is to create and release own game and update this game with DLC. :wink: