Making static meshes interactable by applying blueprint logic to them.

You can’t reuse nodes that you have lying around from previous connections. You need to drag from the array node, and search for ‘set material’. Then you get a matching type :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m confused on how to accomplish this, if you dont mind could you explain?

Thank you!

1 Like

Which bit? I explained how to override earlier in the thread.

‘Material interface object reference’ is just a variable type. You can make an array of them, just like you can ‘actor’ or ‘float’.

Tell me if you need some more help…

1 Like

So I have gotten most of the scripts down. However, when I place a mesh in the child BP I am not seeing any Box collision to let me change the material of the wall.

(Parent BP)

(Wall Child BP)
So it seems like the BP is not being applied to the mesh.

Need to connect that

The default collision box is small. You can make it bigger in the parent, or, if you double click on the child blueprint after you put it in the level, you can change the box size then.

1 Like

Hello again!

I have been working on this and I have made some good progress and I wanted to thank you!

I ran into a quick problem and walls with window frames. I wanted to change the material on the window frame which I was able to do. However the frame has two different elements on it.

You can see on the right that it has element 0 and 1. The way I have it setup It is only changing element 0 when I want it to be changing element 1.

Is there an easy way to maybe rearrange the elements to accomplish this?

Edit: Scratch this I figured out how!

1 Like

:sunglasses: :+1:

Is there a way to have three different interacts on a BP?
ATM I have F to change the wall material, G to change the materials of all the frames and now I want H to open the door or change the material of the door.
Is adding a third function easy or is there a limit?

You can keep going as long as you like :slight_smile:

You might also want to take a look a blueprint interfaces

They are an actor independent way of sending commands.

1 Like

So the doors I have in my BP are combined with the panel and frame. They are split between element 1 and element 2 instead of being two separate meshes.

Is there a way to rotate the door from the panel because I am having the issue where it is only rotating from the frame.

Is this where a line trace would come in handy. (Not sure, never used a line trace lol)

It really depends on what your door asset is. If it’s a single mesh ( all door and frame ), you can’t do it, without splitting them apart.

Can you show the component list of the blueprint? I need to see if the door is seaparate.

1 Like

Yeah it is all a single mesh, I might try to find a way to separate them.

Or just use a new door mesh entirely. But thanks for the info I wasn’t sure if it was possible or not.

It might be possible, try ‘split’ in the modelling tools… ( it will say if there’s more than 1 hidden in there )

That worked!
Thank you

1 Like