Looks like VXGI and Apollo 11 Demo Is Coming Officially To UE4

But Crysis 1 wasn’t manufacturer independent. Having high end graphics as a desirable baseline for upgraders and people who like to punish systems is one thing, cutting a user base down due to manufacturer software restrictions is another…

Having it as an option is not a bad idea though. Dunno about Steam users but every gamer I know has high-end machines, I’m sure there’s a big number out there you know, those high-end gfx cards are not being sold to the Army!

You do know I’m talking about proprietary software right? People might be rocking 290X’s which are by all means pretty high end and VXGI may perform pretty poorly. I’m completely unsure, what I’m saying is if the performance is relative for both AMD and NVIDIA then it will attract a lot of interest and will be worth a look.

I’m all for a decent GI solution, I’d be more interested than most due to our game type. But I’m not willing to cut a lot of sales due to bounce light, also the steam hardware shows a hell of a lot of people do use pretty old hardware. 23 % of them don’t even support DX11 :D?

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

It’s time for them to upgrade or it’s their loss, you see it’s not always about money.

Unless you need money to fund your business, or you don’t have a business to have and probably get your house repossessed. It’s not all about money sure, but it really does help with the basics like food. It’s more my loss than theirs…

Anyway, VXGI with AMD should = to performance of NVIDIA which = GOOD. Does that make sense?

Like I said not everyone wants to cover 100% of the user base. Dunno where your negativeness comes from if we have somth like VXGI as an option.

ps. Does that make sense?

I bet those people are also not interested in spending much money.

Despite what you might think Crysis 1 was indie production. Yes high budget but still indie, as Crytek is independent studio.
It was PC Exclusive, and it did good. It did good, because it pushed PC to the limits. In terms of graphics and gameplay. I don’t remember any SP shooter AFTER Crysis 1, which could match Crysis.
It was pinnacle of what shooter on PC should be, after it we just go downwards.

I think, people who have machines who can run kind of game are willing to buy it. More over they are willing to pay more than average for kind if experience, because they can afford it.

People who sit on PC with something like GeForce GTX 2xx, are not willing to pay much money for their games.

Anyway. If you are making fairly open game, like VXGI, can be made optional, and can be turned on/off as you see fit.

But if you are building game enclosed game, with a lot of fairly tight spaces, you can’t simply disable something like VXGI because it will just break lighting on level.

Another thing to consider if the fact tha Apollo demo, used very small voxels. I think most games can get away with 20cm+ voxels, and cover artifacts with some cheap screen space solution like SSDO with GI.

Edit:

Don’t forget about Star Citizen ;).

I know not everyone wants to cover 100% of the userbase, but as I said in my first post “I” for my project would require VXGI to be proficient on both AMD and NVIDIA devices. Using UE4 alone without any sort of GI is heavy enough to exclude quite a large userbase and that’s something as a developer you have to accept, there’s no problems with that, but for the project I’m working on I don’t want to further exclude AMD users on top of that.

Even if people just want it only to mess around with that’s fine by all means there is no reason to exclude the option, but for a lot of people to be able to use it in commercial offerings it needs to be equal across manufacturers. You are going to exclude sales the more stuff you add it’s inevatible, at what point do commercial game developers believe it’s worth it?

No negative thoughts here, end of the day it’s very nice to have but not a necessity.

@ inside

I know who CryTek are :D, I think most of us have worked with CryEngine and played CryTek games. I’m fine for pushing limits as said if the trade off is worth it…

Good point and I think that most people will be able to customize the quality of how dense the voxel grid is at least hopefully at some point to adjust performance on PC. way, even for the gamers with a good AMD setup could still scale back some of the quality even if its not too optimized.

BTW… on another note, , I was checking out your portfolio and wanted to see if you had any other work to show off. I was checking out your Falcon gun and it looks very similar to a gun in the Mass Effect series and not sure if you worked for Bioware but couldn’t tell to much from your website. Most of the pages are broken at the moment.