Localization Dashboard preview, and explanation of UE4's text localization process

Does this new system imply we cannot have different strings with the same English text and different translations since the string IDs (category.key combinations in the Unreal 3 internationalization files) are gone?

I tried to make a shortcut macro, but the Gather Text doesnā€™t find it:

#define LOCA( InKey ) FInternationalization::ForUseOnlyByLocMacroAndGraphNodeTextLiterals_CreateText( TEXT( "MyGame" ), TEXT( InKey ), TEXT( InKey ) )

Any ideas, why not?

Hi,
Thanks for your tutorial.

I made a custom widget with some buttons to select language at first time install and run the game. and itā€™s saved to my save file, but I donā€™t know how i can tell to game how to use that language at startup.

I can read saved language from game instance at startup but i donā€™t how to tell the game every time runs with -culture=CultureName

I developing for Android / iOS

Thanks

Great Post!

I have a question. I would like to use the same approach for swapping out text, but with images. Is it possible to do?

When i delete or change some text that text still exist in list even when i use GatherText

Itā€™s simply great :smiley:

But i have a question: how can i translate UEā€™s FTexts?
For instance, iā€™m using Fkey s for my hotkey system, and iā€™m using their DisplayName for getting the FText to display on screen, but it come obviously not translated, because i canā€™t gather its data (for example, space bar will always be "Space ba

How can i do to gather and translate them?

I just spent ages trying to figure out why this didnā€™t work, and finally found out whyā€¦ should anyone also be as dense as me; donā€™t assume the default ā€˜Gameā€™ target is a viable target for gathering text. You still have to create a new target to gather text.

One thing though; I tried exporting translations as a .po file and opening them in Virtaal (a .po editing tool), and it didnā€™t let me. Virtaal claimed the .po files were empty. Any ideas?

Gathering From Meta Data does no longer work. It just produces entries in the Game_Conflicts.txt and adds no entries to the Game.manifest:

>From metadata for key DisplayName of enum value Autumn of enum ESeason in None

OneSky plugin can not use, thereā€™s no place to configure prject id and project name

Is it somehow possible to export untranslated localization in po file format?

@maggithunder Yes, you can either use the large "Export text" button at the top of the Cultures list of the selected target in the Localization Dashhboard or you can use the small "Export translation" button right next to the language of your selection.

The first one will export all your cultures into their respective PO files, the second will only export the one language of your choice.