Good to know, I had no idea

I have some new animations to do next month, natural light then

1 Like

@Avivhod how is going? :rofl:

So far the same.
Doing another live capture today.

But appreciate everyone’s support here.

2 Likes

So it seems like there is a way to import the CSV that’s being produced by live link into unreal.
It’s a paid plugin
Haven’t tested yet.
Did someone?

1 Like

Hi there,

I’ve learned from the UE Roadmap that UE5.1 is coming with this offline Live Link tool
Live Link Face Importer - Unreal Engine Public Roadmap | Product Roadmap (productboard.com)

2 Likes

Aafaik the only somewhat reliable way to record a performance and process it at a later time is to use something like faceware.

If I had to process remote videos, I’d probably spring the $15 to use a dedicated software that actually allows pose calibration and face agnostic controls for a month.

On the other hand, I/everyone should probably use that anyway…
The iphone is good for a general fast performance, but it doesn’t really do 1:1 poses, since it has no way of calibrating.

I guess apps like Rokoko could actually spend the time to properly allow custom faces into the performance recording…
At least for me, that would solve a lot of “I don’t know how this is ever going to work since it looks like trash” moments.
Generally though, assuming your face is correctly mapped to whoever the actor is doing the 52 poses with blendshapes, the end result of the recording is AAA- quality. It just isn’t a visual process unfortunately.

Re the csv.
Look. Obviously a comma separated file is a list of values.
Generally track on the line, each , is a different frame containing a value.

You could import that into blender within minutes as a blend shape animation without basically even knowing the first thing about python.
I would suggest everyone give that a try before purchasing an addon that is unreal exclusive…

Ps:
The one thing that has really made a difference with face capture performance so far is having a properly made helmet/rig to record the face in a well posotioned spot, with added light.
I have a full beard, and the iphone is able to do almost everything I need it to withoht jittering too much (when hair move it tends to jitter, somewhat predictible youd think…).
I might share my 3d priner helmet files in the future. (Don’t go spending $1k on a rig because I said it makes a difference, the right price is probably less than $300).

1 Like

Please do share! I’ve been looking and prices are absurd.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s valuable info.
Any idea on eta?

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any dates, and I am not sure how many more patches after 5.0.3 until we have 5.1. Usually, we haven’t seen more than 4 per version

Depends, if you take source off git theres way more than 4 patches.

5.1 may already be there in fact.
Just don’t expect the engine you build from source to be usable/stable.
Considering the epic team hasn’t even been able to fix the official ue4 distro to be reliable and not have issues with major (nvidia) drivers, you can pretty much expect all source builds off nightly not to even build :wink:.

Still, it’s worth a look if you are code savy.
You can try to disable the things that don’t work and epic will never fix from source… getting a custom ue5 that can perform almost on-par with 4 (Obviously it never will, lumen is just expensive).

For everyone else waiting, just another reminder that reading and interpreting CSV data will take a lot less time than waiting…

1 Like

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/animation-curves-toolkit

Hope this will help you.

Bringing up an old topic, but couldnt you use a VPN to “live link” the phone from a remote location? I havent tried it yet, but I have been toying with the idea.