Landscapes need a rework after years without big changes

Hey, thanks for all of this feedback! We’ve seen quite a bit of requests around landscape tools and while we don’t have a new system planned for 4.14, we’d love to get any more of your feedback for future system updates.

Oh God someones listening!

The said resample feature doesn’t work with world composition tiles.
Not able to change scale of the tiles in world composition.
Can’t move the tiles along the height axis.
Landscapes splines placed on world composition tiles become unable to edit after a random amount of time.
When generating lods for tiles it generates 1 material and 1 texture per tile. It means if the landscape is 20x20km, there’ll be 400 materials and 400 very low res textures generated. There has to be only 1 material and 1 texture generated that cover all the lods ( sort of like atlas).
Can’t set the resolution for the texture generated for the tile lod.
Can’t generate more than 1 lod per tile.
There’s a lot regarding world composition that’s not covered in the documents.

:slight_smile:

Well tried the 4.12 looks like work a bit faster at create the landscapes at edit it not sure what say, but in this case uses too the 16GB of Ram at reshape the landscape then fall the use to 11,5GB

I can’t move the landscapes when there is the world shift enabled or it bug the movement and all turns locked…

I’m back what the hell is this Epic Games ? You can make large maps you said I see I can’t package my game cause here say there is a 2GB limit but the map file is 512Mb please explain me ?!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28070491/UE4Editor_2016-10-11_22-20-07.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28070491/explorer_2016-10-11_22-20-13.png

And the map is a single 8X8Km landscape with a directional light and a spawn point tell me…

Can’t even package the games awesome…

Looks like a problem of your method this don’t package with I do your steps, but package single normal 8x8km landscape @Maximum-Dev

Hey Maximum does tessellation work in 4.12, Im finally getting a decent pc for my birthday and wanted to try it out :slight_smile:

Yes it does. And happy birth day.

Its not till the 18th but thank you anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm I noticed that a huge portion of Ram is occupied by the LandscapesLightmap. In a fully dynamic level, is it possible to disabled the Landscapes Lightmap? I have forced no precomputed lighting, but the Statistics Window still shows the Lightmaps.

risovach.ru.jpg

Frankly speaking, out of the box terrain feels quite constraining in UE4. My issue through working with heighfields in UE4 was performance. After porting a shader, authored for another well-known engine, into UE4 node-based shader editor, I’ve noticed that terrain render speed in UE4 is considerably lower. This led me to finding of this issue. If you ask me, using dynamic branching while splatting terrain textures in the pixel shader is a must. Surely there is an optimization to discard unused parts of material for specific components, but that is not enough. Taking into account balancing out component size for least draw calls vs more freedom in painting terrain, the latter one always seems to loose.

And then there is this ongoing poor tessellation performance with dynamic shadows.
Right, who cares about tessellated heightfield’s tessellation anyway :slight_smile: especially where there is POM. But yet again, I can’t get decent cross-layer POM blend without being able to sample landscape weightmaps with an offset. Plus it would be quite cool to have Pixel Depth Offset affecting dynamic shadows.

Physical surfaces for landscapes are also functioning in a very restrictive way.
This feature request has only two votes on it. One of them is mine. How come?

Lack of vertical LOD falloff into the heap of the issues.

I don’t think I have any remarks regarding scultping/painting tools.

The amount of attention landscape is getting seems directly proportional to the number of users requesting it. And so far I have an impression that there are only 3-4 active forum users, that are actually interested in terrain improvement.

To me, landscape system feels like the weakest spot of UE4, sadly.

Unreal 4 is not a terrain based engine unlike CryEngine, this is why terrain is not optimized and needs lot of RAM.
Another concern, Farward+ rendering is still not available for dense vegetation draw speed.

here, some “new” feedback from almost 2 years ago :eek:

UE-14056 either doesnt exist or isn’t publically exposed

also this one, from more than 2 years ago:

totally needed for procedural materials (like the stylized landscape sample from the documentation) but UE-22749 is backlogged

Another feature that would be nice:

Allow user to set layer mask texture resolution scale instead of hard cording it. Use case would be that I want a huge landscape and for that I use a scale of 400 on X and Y. That in turn means that the layer blending precision is 4 meters in game, causing very blurry borders between layers (even if you use height blending).

Dynamic landscape is bespoke tech to be honest, I doubt there’s any kind of one-size-fits-all implementation that everybody will be happy with.

Landscape is static because static is fast. Don’t expect to see fully-dynamic 20Km landscapes anytime soon… I expect realtime GI will be required for that to really be a first-class feature anyway first.

Well is not even fast in static right now that is why i made the post, a 8km single landscape take 10GB of Ram, don’t see here using 4 for 16x16Km… :slight_smile:

That’s not unreasonable though, that’s just the cost of storing that many vertices in memory. I imagine it’ll be considerably less than that outside of the editor at runtime.

Probably the same said the first image editing software creator at calculate pixel per pixel in loops, and then get the GPU way and matrix, there is always a better way :slight_smile:

I would look into CDLOD for large scale terrains TBH.

The current performance issues as people mention it isn’t acceptable for even the editor either. Not every developer has 10GB extra memory just for terrain. And I’m sure landscape in UE4, just like it’s TemporalAA and many other things, has a looong way to go.

I’m fairly sure there are engine’s out there that has gotten it down to MEGAbytes rather than gigs… that’s how bad we are talking about :stuck_out_tongue:

UE4 has simply an outdated landscape system at this point.

Epic hasn’t done something wrong with it or anything it’s just that the system has not been updated for a long time, it’s time for something new and robust! I think we can all agree on that :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s all fair enough, but I’m willing to bet that the trade off for memory usage is extra processing time instead - that’s usually how it does, so the end result won’t be as performant. Who knows…