Landscape system, related features and issues

Just like to point out that we did get a major update to landscapes in 4.19 - landscape components can now accept dynamic material instances as opposed to just static ones, so landscape can be modified at runtime to some degree.

as far as I remember the guy said the landscape shadow optimizations didn't make it to 4.19 anyway, so we just got the new screensize-based LOD system and some rendering performance improvements
however tessellation on landscape still halves my framerate on 4.19 compared to disabling tessellation (on a blank project with just a landscape and a skybox with movable light + skylight)

also the new tessellation “limit” options on the landscape, for me have zero impact on anything at all

I’ve been trying it for ages without success, the landscape components were holding a UMaterialInstanceStatic, not a dynamic one. How were you able to do it?

nvm, at work someone actually added support for this so it really wasn’t part of UE4 :smiley:

Ah, that makes more sense. Part of the engine now in any case!

Checked it only in preview version of 4.19, and it was mostly fine.

But one way, or another, this is all raindance. Until the day, when landscape material will be splatted into a virtual texture in UE4, high end landscape rendering will be considerably lacking in quality/performance ratio.

New Cryengine terrain system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c…&v=K7dXEnUrlJo

Even cryengine with like 1% users is improving landscape beyond ue4/unity. :stuck_out_tongue:

enabling Tessellation on an 8k landscape on 4.19 literally halves my framerate, not sure how that qualifies as “mostly fine” :rolleyes:

What about Niagara, the new networking layer that powers Fortnite (especially important given all the battle royale games coming out now), temporal upsampling etc. There are loads of upcoming improvements…

In the video description that works with UE4 too apparently, that looks like a third-party tool of some kind.

EDIT: Also guys, RTX is NVidia’s technology - Epic didn’t build it, it just has an engine integration - and that’s to support other non-games businesses too. The engine has gone far beyond just games now.

Regarding that, the author is selling a set of mountain meshes. The new cryengine terrain system which is coming out in version 5.6 allows to seamlessly merge mountains or such meshes with each other and seamlessly integrates them to become a part of terrain itself, not static meshes placed on top of landscape. Exactly like how Ubisoft approached the world creation of Ghost Recon Wildlands. This opens a lot of possibilities and control on world design. His mountains work with UE4 as well like you mentioned, however, they’d serve as static meshes.

Yes that is exactly the whole argument here. The current lighting system in this engine cannot even shadow some tris properly. Then Epic implements RTX to support other non-games businesses. Apparently they have no intention of fixing these issues either.

http://www.upsara.com/images/4xgu_512.jpg

Something else worth mentioning, I’m personally really tired of Epic implementing new features that just don’t work right. i.e new physically based light units and camera exposure. It just doesn’t work right. But it will serve the purpose of saying “UE4 support physical lights and exposure”. https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…46#post1456046

Other example is world composition. It has lots of bugs, problems and issues specially with multiplayer and it didn’t receive attention for like 11 updates since it was first implemented, but it does serve the purpose of “Hey, UE4 allows you to create worlds that are hundreds of kilometers.”

Most of these features in UE4 that are crucial for game development aren’t there or just don’t work as advertised, yet the engine has gone far beyond game development and that is considered a big plus by many, sadly.

Edit: Me or others here are not against UE4 going beyond just game development. But it’s reasonable to at least address basic game development needs before going beyond it.

Yeah I agree, it’s pretty frustrating. I’m all for the engine reaching out to other industries but not if it’s core industry suffers as a result. The cutting-edge stuff is great, but it’s the really simple things that are lagging behind.

4.19 doesn’t seem to be a particularly stable release for a lot of folks at the moment either… I just miss the transparency we used to have when it came to fixes and back-and-forth, Epic are much more of a closed book now.

I’m using a directional alpha to paint dirt on road edges going through grass fields.
I have to constantly:

1. Move the mouse out of view port to texture rotation field.
  2. Rotate the texture.
  3. Move the mouse on the intended edge in view port to see if it lines up well.

If it doesn’t line up, repeat from step 1.
If it does line up, paint, but also repeat from step 1 for next edge.

Either there is a hidden hotkey for rotating the texture right in 3D viewport or it’s just that bad we have to spend precious time on such things.

Landscape in general is lagging so behind an entire engine update could be dedicated to solving landscape issues only. Please do something Epic, a bit work on these issues with every engine update would’ve solved a ton of issues by now.

I do agree it needs a complete overhaul :confused:

If decals could affect landscape displacement that’d be great.
Currently landscape displacement and AO bleeds through what is supposed to look like a water puddle.
You see on the top middle decal is on a somewhat flat layer and on the bottom half of the image decal is on a more displaced layer that looks like anything but a water puddle.

http://uupload.ir/files/pqnc_6234.jpg

Bumping for Epic.

This would be nice to have.
I’m currently making a master landscape material and for some layers/functions (that I wanted to be procedural) I had to make them paintable (using landscape layer blend etc). Because I guess otherwise I’ll have a harder time activating the right footstep sound for each material, right?

Bump bump bump :slight_smile: