KiteDemo a low-res version please

Your PC is fine, it takes everyone a long time to load the files

Hey everyone,

I have submitted a feature request to our developers to hopefully include a lower-res. version of Kite Demo. If you need to reference this request in the future, please refer to: UE-13867

Cheers!

thank you

I tried the 2.4 gig version of the assets that another forum provided a link for(not sure if it still exists) and it still looked great, not quite as good as the full size version and it loaded twice as quick, the full size version took about 25min on an amd 8core with 16gig ram

My laptop is similar to this one described and it will only allow me to use the ferns and leaves from the Kite Demo. That also took a few days of crashing harsh and often utill finally one day I could use just those. I tried again today to use a tree as IT JUST came into the options after being installed for a week. But the trees are instant death to my laptop. It is sad but I know I could use a serious computer. Someday soon I hope.

Windows 7 64 bits
upgraded today to 8 GB RAM and still froze at 73%, maybe i will try to let loading hours, but that is really an horror to work with it
AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
GeForce GTX 760 4gb

Please some more information about that 2.4 gig version pls!

I’m surprised people are taking this position in the first place, because even if it Were just a hardware issue - this is a Game Engine.
Telling someone they need to target higher-end systems in order to use it or create with it is like telling a store to only allow people to shop there who are over 5’9".

Having the option of higher quality, high requirement processes is fine, but if you exclude the rest…
Acting to limit your /customer base before you even produce a product is a great way to fail.

No one is telling anyone to target high end hardware, what we were talking about the requirements for the KiteDemo and then about the requirements to use the UE4 editor (properly).

Your comparison is fairly weak .
In most cases you need more potent hardware while developing than you need to run it in the end, since there is a lot more going on while working on your project than there is when you play the packaged product. You seem to forget to differentiate between these two stages. Of course, if you fall below a certain hardware limit you will face certain problems. Code and shaders need decades to compile, your viewport is lagging and so on and so forth. I doubt that anyone is able to properly work in such a situation.
Someone was/is using an integrated GPU to work with UE4, which is even weaker than the GPU from 2008 I have here somewhere in my room, and tried to open the KiteDemo assets. Assets which were created to show the maximum capabilities of UE4, the problems were foreseeable.

I wished that most good devs were able to create their games without problems, especially hardware related ones, but sadly this isn’t how it works. Game development is always a resource demanding one and sadly one of the biggest resource you need is money in one way or another.

Greetings,
Dakraid

(I don’t want to exclude anyone to make that clear, everyone should be invited to create games if he/she wants to, unless you are one of those cash-grabbing parasites which flood Steam Greenlight with nothing but other devs work…)

I’m running UE4 on GF9600GT, so i would not say his GPU is biggest weakness, he atleast has card supporting SM5.0. I think his biggest weakness is RAM, 4GB is way low, not to mention it’s integrated GPU takes some amount of it right? so it’s even worse

Also what definition of “properly”? Whatever things are annoying is matter of opinion. I got weak hardware, some things are annoying, but i don’t think i’m using UE4 “unproperly” (or else sometimes in code lol)

can’t run it and i have an i7 with 12 logical cpu and 16go of ddr4 of ram and a gtx960 4go of ddr5