Kinect 4 Unreal

i have the same problem trying with unreal 4.6 and 4.5.
says that plugin was not compiled for this version.
what i have to do?

@zktor
Our plugin is built using the builds from binary versions of the engine (available through the Unreal Engine launcher). We have noticed that people can run into trouble with projects created using versions of the engine built from the source (from GitHub). If you are using a source code build can you please try using the plugin with a download of the binary engine version.

Also we are proud to be releasing a new hot fix for Unreal Engine version 4.6.1. This does not contain the introduction however it is compatible with all our current levels after a switch of engine version.

Hey guys. Have had a quick play around with it and looks very solid, the demo you did for PAX looked very impressive!

I am about to start doing some further work with it but thought I would check if you had already done any work in matching this up with the VR player controller that is up here on the forums yet? If so would be great if you could put up an example showing avateering with the Rift points being correctly attached to the player.

Cheers,

Dean

We have previously integrated Rift view control and Kinect skeletal mesh control, however to do this we just used the default Unreal functionality to get view information from the oculus. This is a very old project unfortunately, and is not up-to-date enough to be a valid point of examination, but all it requires to set up the Rift is available in Epic’s own Rift VR demo maps.

thanks ,
but the only version i have is from GitHub.
i’m a newbie in unreal engine
Could you please explain more detailed to me how can i have binary versions?
Do i have to compile with Visual Studio?
do you have a step by step tutorial for this plugin to work properly?
thanks for your attention.

The binary version is the one downloaded from the Unreal Engine launcher; after downloading the relevant version in the library section of the launcher the rest of the steps are given in this video:
://youtube.com/watch?v=TizTuZ2ZQTk

Hey guys,

Loving the plugin so far. I am having trouble getting a hold of the hand states for a body however.

As you can see from the screenshot, I get the centered body and check to see if it is tracked. It always returns false, even though I know the body is being tracked because I make use of your fabulous KinectPosableMesh and can see it working (it is also assigned to the centered body).

If I don’t have the branch to check if the body is being tracked, then the handstates are set to unknown state (understandable since it thinks the body isn’t tracked). Any advice?

I am on Unreal 4.6.1, and using the 4.6.1 hotfix version.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work. You’ve been so quick with replying, especially on twitter!

Plockhart, we have been having trouble replicating your issue, especially considering that the get centered body works elsewhere in your blueprints.

Would it be possible to send us a copy of your project so that we can check over the nitty gritty stuff?

Sorry for the waste of time. After a nights sleep I realised I had a blueprint error that must have been messing with things.

Is this the expected error when trying to package a game?

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: Couldn’t find referenced module ‘Kinect4Unreal’.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 6.169896s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=2

And there’s no workaround?

I think the only way it will work is if we have the plugin source code?

The current Unreal Engine is not capable of packaging any project that contains a plugin. Epic are trying their best to fix this however as yet there is no specific work around that will allow you to package a project that contains a plugin.

However depending on your needs it may not be necessary to package your plugin for deployment. Particularly relevant to installations and exhibits, running your project from inside the editor as a new editor window or a standalone game, these both allow you resolution and full screen control equivalent to that of a packaged project.

This is not strictly true. UE can and will package a plugin if the plugin code is linked e.g. by adding code to your blueprint only project. Then after having your project packaged you can manually move over any dependencies the plugin has and the game will run from a packaged or shipping build. If you want more details on this check out any of the plugins in my signature, the github readmes contain detailed packaging/shipping instructions.

What isn’t currently supported by UE is automatic dependency copying or blueprint only project builds automatically detecting and including plugin dependencies in the build process.

@getnamo My understanding is that that only works because your plugins contain the source code though?

You can compile a plugin .lib for Shipping and Development which will work the same way when you package the two. Your project will still need some empty code in order to include the compiled lib into the final build.

Hi,

Is work for UE4.3 properly ??

Thank you for your response in advance …

Unfortunately UE4.3 is not supported for K4U. We aim at keeping up to date with the most recent versions of the Unreal Engine which right now is 4.6.1 and we also plan to provide access to all previous versions of the plugin that will provide some compatibility with Unreal versions since it’s release.

Is there a way to constrain certain rotation?

Unreal really helps us out here, so while we could have made a macro or node to help you sort this out, it is just clearer and easier if you use the default functionality inside unreal to clamp the rotation values, you end up with something that looks like this:

Ok thanks for the help, but I can’t seem to restrict the rotation of the wrist, it’s kinda jumpy.

Another question: Is there a way to flip the whole animation controlled by kinect?

Hey Viewtron,

One of the problems with wrists is that their position is derived by the combined rotations of each bone up from the spine base. Because the Kinect has it’s own amount of jitter in each bone these compound to result in slightly jumpy extremities. However we have just finished documenting version 1.1 and is now online and one of the new features in that version is exposing the smoothing variables. These should allow you to modify the amount of smoothing so that jitter can be reduced as much as possible.

Another one of the features is a simple check box in avateering that automatically mirrors the animation, which seems exactly what you want.

Download version 1.1 Plugin
Download version 1.1 Introduction with Plugin

View Documentation

Previous versions can be downloaded at our downloads page.

The largest change in this version is the change to be more in line with the rest of unreal to use a component based architecture that makes the plugin easier to use overall.

Other changes primarily include:
Component Based Architecture
Player Controler Architecture has been Deprecated
Exposed Smoothing
Lean Functions
Motion Capture
Mirrored Avateering
Depth and RGB Stamping
Kinect Pitch Value
Expanded Introduction Level
Per Joint Tracking Confidence
Coordinate Mapping Functions