It would be really nice to see support for different anti-aliasing types

Now with lots of things depending on TAA, it’s more urgent to improve TAA before implementing other AA options. TAA in Doom 2016 is stunning.Whole game is about fast movement and actions and yet you don’t see any blurring or ghosting effects like in UE4.

In PostProcessTemporalCommon.usf try to replace #define AA_DYNAMIC_ANTIGHOST 0 with #define AA_DYNAMIC_ANTIGHOST 1. It’ll decrease ghosting of movable objects on noisy background. Every ghosting issue from post#16 should be less noticeable.

1 Like

Thanks Yura_s

I found it before line 179 “#error Fix me!” :confused:

… but worst, the white ghost changed to a blacked ghost effect, very appreciable with background foliage.

Also tried other things:
#r.TemporalAASamples 8
r.TemporalAASamples 0

#r.TemporalAASamples 8
r.TemporalAASamples 16

r.TemporalAASharpness 1

r.MipMapLODBias -1

Strange… in my 4.12.4 it’s a line #126. Actually it decreases sharness of the ghosts, so they become rather blured trail behind the character. But yes, it doesn’t eliminate ghosting issue completely, unfortunatelly.

Yes, line #126 before the line #179#error Fix me!”

Trying other crazy things. We want to work confortably until find a fix.

d85320c477658891b75c26bb0c8f3864c2891569.jpeg
Added UE4Editor.exe to it.

1313d7729787545d5781558f6d20015a5eb12193.jpeg
Seems to load but similar to FXAA.

Another question:
in the ThirdPersonTemplate > Edit BP
There is another PostProccess atached to FollowCamera.
All settings seems to be disabled. I tried to change there to TemporalAA and FXAA with no luck.

Are we seriously going to see such strong ghosting in Paragon too? Or are there any internal improvements on it?

Exactly… UE4’s TAA was never good enough for many kind of games IMO. It might work great for film and other scenarios where you can’t directly control the camera but for fast moving action games? nope!

I thought that the technique was simply not that great in general but Doom makes this clear: it can look great even with fast motion :stuck_out_tongue:
It pains me deeply to say this but I’m going to be honest and go as far as to say UE4 might just have the worst AA solution I have seen :frowning:

Based on what I have been reading in this and other forums there is somewhat of a split between gamers preferring blurry or sharp AA.
TAA and blurriness is fine for some users, I get that!.. but you Epic guys need to acknowledge the fact that at least for some users (if not the majority) the blurriness and ghosting is very distracting to the eye and not an acceptable visual effect.
I don’t know if it’s just me but personally the first thing I do when I start playing a new game is go to the options menu, reduce or turn off motion blur and switch to a non-blurry AA (like MSAA x2+).

It would be amazing if we had alternatives or an improved version, I would be forever grateful and gladly accept even a large performance hit if it meant MSAA-like quality!

FXAA would *almost * be an acceptable alternative assuming all graphical features were supported but they are not… like SSR for example, so you can’t really use it as a scalability option in production because it can break a lot of things.

I’m gonna say there is a distinct difference between “blurry” and “ghosting”. Some people prefer sharp and some prefer blur. That is right. But none prefer “this”:

40772-untitled.jpg

Currently no one is happy about this effect. No game developer, no gamer who love sharpness, no gamer who love blur.

Oh definitely, I think everyone agrees that the ghosting artifact needs to be solved as soon as possible.

But I mean, even after that, TAA is still a blurry AA… would be great to have a proper sharper alternative.

Trying to download an apropiate preset for Reshade I found this thread: Squad, another game suposed UE4.
People disabling TemporalAA & FXAA because of the with visual fatigue when aiming with the scopes at far distance.
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/3382-this-is-how-you-remove-anti-aliasing-for-a-sharper-game/?page=3

And then:

It would be good to examine how new hair looks with Sweetfx

I don’t think Squad uses temporal AA in the first place, it’s disabled completely.

I dont know jonimake , but people speak about disable all AA settings in game. In the page4 of that forum there is one screenshot of the settings.

For the moment I changed all textures to:
-From texture group
-Never stream

Misc:
-ScreenSize 150
-FXAA

The result is right, but we prefered the TemporalAA (except for the issue with fast moving characters).

Unfortunately masked and transparent behave totally in the same way in 4.12.2

Just tried it - works as expected still. It will eventually blur if you have motion blur turned on and move it very fast.

Has there ever been much explanation or any addressing of this “ghosting”? Any advice for us to fix it, and/or any plans to fix it on the engine side, etc?

Nothing can do to eliminate that effect until Epic decides to improve it.

Try putting r.MotionBlurNew=1 in your ConsoleVariables.ini. It’s more performance heavy but I find it helps with that issue a lot.

Ghosting exist independently of motion blur. You can disable it completely in ppv, but ghosting artifacts remains.