Is Unreal Engine for game developers or for engine troubleshoothers?

That’s not even the problem. You can’t just copy parts of a project to another and hope it will work.

As I said earlier: Stick to one version.

4.10 New Bug: Enabling World Composition breaks Playback of Startup movies
4.11 Fixed
4.12 Broken again

4.10 New Bug: Interacting with 3D Widgets broken (no mouse click received)
4.11 Fixed
4.12 Broken again

4.11 SteamVoice works perfectly.
4.12 SteamVoice broken (sound cuts out).
4.13 Fixed as UE-34081 but still broken.

I’m getting so tired of this i even stopped reporting the bugs on the answerhub already since staff fails on replicating issues when you even provide 2 sample projects, one working, one broken. https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/446592/steam-voice-chat-cutting-out.html

It get’s worse with every new engine version coming out. In 4.12 you cannot even keep the preview enabled of the content browser, it will allocate memory constantly and ruin your framerate.

Yay now it works for him, next upgrade, now it don’t for him, argh, now it works, nope it don’t. Rats… On and off, on and off? This is turning into a disco show.

Undo don’t always work in restoring back BSP brushes if you
put a glow material on it. But it has no trouble restoring the Static brushes to normal. I found the BSP brush tools segments and the turn option. BUT, this wont curve the brush segments around unless the face are all triangled?. What ! Red had no trouble bending rectangle brush segments into a curve shape to do pipes or curved hallways… But Unreal throws up complaints about the faces not being all triangle. then it won’t turn the brush segments I want.

I don’t see any Add Vertex Point Node Option so I can change the shape of the bsp brush itself. So it looks like BSP is useless and you have to do your curved corridoors instead with the static meshes if there’s no add new vertex node option for BSP brushes then unreal is hopeless for those brushes…

""That’s not even the problem. You can’t just copy parts of a project to another and hope it will work. "

No not with Unreal…

But you can do it in Red, save it as a group, even save the whole level as a group. and just load it up in any project or append to it, even join it to another map.

The user above clearly explained all his misery about the breakdowns and crashes he been having with the engine.

You are conflating bugs the engine may legitimately have (they do exist, they should be reported with a simple use case to reproduce, and in my experience they usually get fixed) - with problems you are creating by not using the engine the way it’s built for.

You don’t copy assets from a project to another with different UE4 versions, especially versions that are different by more than a year. You can try it on the same engine version if you understand which assets depend on which ones - and the content browser provides lots of tool to manage that. Granted, it’s not trivial, but people can help you understand these things.

If all you want is ranting about the engine, then all of this here is useless. You are wasting your time (and mine). If you want help dealing with UE4, ask us for help. If you have constructive feedback to offer, based on actual bug reports that the support team was able to reproduce, then offer it, but that’s not what you’re doing here - no one understands what you’re trying to do. If you feel UE4 sucks, move to another engine.

Well I dont’ yet know if unreal engine can do the job for a game that has dialog in the hud because there’s only one page in the canvas editor that I can see of to put my hud dialog in. But the problem is I have got over 15,000 lines of text dialog in my game because I have 10 party members. and my Windows script handles all the dialog and party members very easily using tons of arrays to do all the dialog to test it, but that’s outside the unreal engine, but Unreal Engine would probably use too many blueprint hud files to try to do it Inside the engine…

I don’t see any difficulty in doing what you want with UE4. Whether in C++ or in BP. The real issue is importing your text, but that’s hardly rocket science, people have been importing text in UE4 for years.

I don’t know how to import mass text into unreal engine and then assign speaker id and picture
to the text so Unreal displays that text in the hud when certain storyline flags are being triggered. I don’t think it
will so easy to set this up because The game has to keep track of over 1,700 variables and flags including items
picked up, credits, storyline triggers, and events. Its not like these simple little blueprint games with just 20-30
variables in them, this game has got over a thousand things to track and to check.

Your point being ? You don’t have to use Blueprint, you don’t have to “import” the text - you can read it directly from the file in Blueprint.

Look, either you can point at one specific reason it might not work with UE4, or you’re just ranting here.

lol there’s a ton of dialog systems published in the forums and also on marketplace already.
If those people managed to make those dialog systems, it tells there’s things about the engine that they do understand; but you do not.
Then instead of focusing on learning, you focus on ******** around…

Correct if i am wrong but in old days when UE cost was hundreds thousands dollars then after UE purchase company used own personal developers to fix things and add features.

It was used simply as a “renderer”; companies would pay a million dollars just to incorporate the engine into their already existing tools and pipelines.
Many many still use Unreal 3, completely modified versions; so many changes they have “their own” Unreal 4 now…

I don’t have the time to spend connecting up all the dots from A to B to C in Unreal to build up my own bp scripts… Although that is the traditional way. BUT I knew it would take years for me to learn all the engine code the old traditional way through spending years
learning, but because of rapid global and economic factors that are occurring in the world, is why I don’t have the time trying to learn the engine all from scratch as some have told me that I need to do because it took them years to acquire the skills, and no I don’t know how to read text in from a file into blueprints yet, as I don’t have that knowledge.

That’s why I wrote all 154 thousand lines of my game in simple windows script form that my head can understand and map easily instead of mapping the game all out in Unreal Code, at least the windows script allowed me to test out and debug all my dialog lines and see if the flags for the speakers and storyline events are all working. When writing your own blueprint scripts for your games however you must keep track of a lot of things up in your head while putting down what is in your head down into the blueprints themselves which those tutorial guys know how to do
as they have got an internal map in their head of how to construct the blueprints…

I haven’t developed that internal mapping skill from Unreal yet because that skill takes time to develop. So following the tutorials from you tube will only get me so far with the engine. Here’s a map of what I done in the engine so far. If things look out of place its because this engine is
new to me. So there’s still lack of curved buildings to balance out all the many squares shapes that are in this map.

Isn’t that the point? Learning the dots… I’ve only been at this a year and I LOVE learning the dots. Reading stuff, watching tutorials, etc. And, like someone said above, if you need something quickly, get it from the marketplace. OR, purchase from the marketplace to see how they have done it. In fact, I purchased one of the dialog plugins because I wanted to learn how they did it.

Honestly, not sure what you are trying to accomplish here…

teak

Yes I do believe the marketplace is useful because you can buy some AA assets and I have been watching the engine tutorials otherwise I would not have been able to made this map in the engine, and put some stuff also in the hud, a strange looking map as it maybe. But I think to bring a game up to a high level you need a team of professionals to help you do it with layout and design, ect with those nice transparent menu hud screens, because not everybody has got the skills. I think it takes a lot of different skills from people to make a game in
Unreal Engine.

There are still little things not yet right, like I don’t know why the hud text is showing this little bar underneath it. It shouldn’t be there.

Making a game takes years, that’s just the essence of it. No game engine is a replacement for talent and time.

Well I believe Practice only makes perfect if you been taught correct knowledge but if you do not have the correct knowledge) and you keep on practicing that same knowledge then you won’t improve in a million years. and yet I’m told I need to spend more years on practicing with the engine in in order to improve, so around in circles the argument goes instead of getting the knowledge I need to correct those errors, There’s only one type of creature that I know of that likes to make circular arguments and that’s sharks, man, and I though this place was supposed to be friendly, I’m just doing my game for fun-0 but I do think some people in here take the games too serious because they are too busy playing Keeping Up with the Jonses.

There are loads of tutorials out there on how to fly the engine well in nice sunny weather. But I don’t see any tutorials on how to fly the engine well when things in UNREAL ENGINE TURN BAD when the engine cuts out, losing altitude or suddenly the plane suddenly turned upside down and its going into another nosedive, or some other crisis crops up and how to get the engine out of these storms when everything goes from smooth from one minute to turning to all to custard the next.

Its all very well learning how to fly the engine well when theré’s no pressure
on you when everything is going all right, but as the pilot you also need to learn how to fly well when everything is going all dead wrong.

You need to use some type of a database for such task that you can call text by key and be able to do localization.

Hmm yes come to think of it, I think they had to also do that with Kotor because of all the amount
of text dialog they had to show. I think they put the game camera in the cinema movie film mode
so they could then put the dialog text in that black band area. That did solve one thing, it stopped
the text from clashing in with the game graphics.