is this really the quality to expect from ue4?

aha I had a feeling you wouldn’t waste much time with Unity :slight_smile:

I used it for about a year and it was great to begin with, really helped me grasp programming properly after I’d started out with that Unreal Scripting book on UDK all those years ago. It become a problem for me when I started doing AI, all those co-routines soon became very messy and I wasn’t to impressed with the level tools unless you went down the plugin route.

The pro licence is also a stupid price with a 12 month lock in, i just wanted f’ing shadows :frowning:

Not really messed with mobile games before so not sure what to suggest, have you looked at Gamemaker? That was the first engine I used years and years ago before it got big and it was great for 2d games.

Actually forget that I just checked it out after I wrote that and it’s gone all commercial and overpriced. Jeez I remember the days when it was a tenner, now it’s $300 just for the IOS compiler…

In fact just had a quick look at a few ‘indie’ engines and they are all quite expensive so yeah I can see your point, you’re only option is to really go with UE4 which by the sound of it isn’t much of an option for what you want to do. Gutted man we all loved Teglegs playground, it was one of the few releases that proved one man could make something decent with UDK and actually finish it :slight_smile:

Not good if one of the only people who could finish something and give other people hope on UDK can’t get along with the new engine. Did they not get you in as a beta tester for UE4 I would have thought you’d have been first on the list along with a few of the other community members that actually managed to produce stuff?

I must be honest I’ve stopped using UE4 at the moment I’m going to give it some time till it’s in a better state, spent far to many years just constantly learning stuff and never getting to finish anything. Every release of UE4 has so many changes in it, it’s a bit of a double edged sword, great we’ve got new and improved stuff but at the same time that usually means more learning and scrapping what you’ve already done and learning it again (UMG…)

I’ve gone back to the roots and started just playing games again to remember why i started doing all stuff in the first place. Thank god for THC and Shadows of Mordor :slight_smile:

@tegleg , i feel your pain mate , not to impressed with android output atm but that could be my fault and me mid-range tablet, as for pc side big tip don’t add the starter content to your project, saying that i use the shooter game as a base with my content thats 5gb+ on my hd but the last package i build was 180mb so its not all bad, you just need to watch what you use and what maps it packs

To keep the build small use unreal front end and don’t cook from the editor as it will package everything. I had a bunch of starter content in one of my projects and selecting what to cook left the output build at 200mb.

I dont know. My game looks pretty **** sweet on UE4. And it performs great. Looking at the at game it appears to be targeted for lower end devices.
Add a little lighting to the game and watch it come alive

is where i would be aiming, so that means turn off anything that makes it look good (like aussieburger did), hmm not ace really…

@savagebeasty
yes there seems to be no other option for engines atm
yes i was lucky enough to be invited to the beta testing :). incidentally i did say probably the day after cars were introduced that the physics was bad, took a huge thread on here over a year later to convince them to look into it though.

thanks Geodav
can i ask what your mid-range tablet is and what lighting features and stuff it will run?

thanks for the tips Geodav & TheAgent

cheers everyone

@tegleg
The minimum spec device I am targeting is the Nexus 7 2012. It’s possible to have a directional light, and static lights lightmapped, some physics, a few animations, and very simple vertex shaders working at acceptable performance. But there is no metallic, specular, normals, emissive. Particle absolute minimum, very little alpha blending etc. But some of these features can be done in other engines on the same device, they just wouldn’t look as well as if it was made with UE4.

@tegleg well i think its mid-range, the wife paid ca 200 euro’s for it :slight_smile:

Microstar 10319 a re-badged medion/lenovo

CPU-Z states
cpu - ARM Cotex A-9 4x1.6 ghz
gpu - mali 400 mp
ram - 1gb

so far i only did a quick test using the third person template, and quickly found that bsp’s don’t render, haven’t had any time to go futher atm but i hope to do a bit more from mid next month

oh dear, thats kind of basic stuff there.

blimey, what can i say…

just tried sun temple on 2013 nexus 7, it runs but at extremely low framerate. the template projects run fine.

so its either make your game look bad and it will run on a few of the more recent more powerful devices,
or make it look half way decent and it will run on only the newest most powerful devices.

+1

to the OP:

A tool is only as good as the person using it. I own a complete set of woodworking tools and materials to make a beautiful table but I don’t know the first thing about doing it. Sure I know a table has a large flat surface and 4 legs but if that is my idea for a table and that is all I do it will make a functional but poor table.

UE 4 can help you build amazing things on PC and mobile platforms but the end product is always going to be dependent on the Developer\Artist\Team to make the tool sing.

Please do not bump old threads like if there is’t a good reason to do so. Thank you :slight_smile:

the example of good looking UE4-game. But, it’s possible to create the same on Unity Pro. The question is about cost of UE4 vs Unity Pro.
of course, you can create it on Unity Free too if you have strong shader’s writing skills etc

That’s a UE3 game, not UE4.

Awkay, didn’t want to show yet but…

Take into account that the lighting build is wrong here. It’s an early alpha just after like a month of work. I’ll plan to release it free soon. Tested on Nvidia Shield tablet which is not that expensive anyway. Gonna test it more on Sony Xperia Z1 and some LG phones later.

So true, still, there’s plenty of people who don’t have the money to get UE4 and are goot at what they do.

Wow…looks a lot like the game I’ve been working on. Well, not so much gameplay-wise. But the name!
http://mymazegame.blogspot.com/
I’ve been working on it off and on for a LONG time, but just started blogging about it back in October.

is what we managed to pull off with UE4. It’s a screenshot from our OpenGL ES3.1 build on shield tablet, but even with the OpenGL ES2 build which runs on older mobile device, you can pull off something close to the quality previous gen (ps3/xbox360) console games with a very stable frame rate.

Can’t blame uneducated gamers on technology misconceptions. Even ‘developers’ rely too much on beliefs that the engine is what defines what your game will be and how it’ll look like.
Crappy games will haunt every single open engine forever, that is never going to change. Can’t blame Epic or Unity Tech(too much) about it…

Developers must educate ourselves. Look at what you’re doing and try to judge impartially if what you’re doing is really worth a showcase; When just learning or getting started, no problem… The problem is when such ‘products’ hits the stores. XBox indie games, Apple Store, Google Play are full of things that shouldn’t be there. For real.
No wonder Sony just shot down PSM program.

/\ SS above looks amazing by the way.

I hope there a plan for a better implementation of ES31 cause at the moment it run pretty bad.