Is there a way to import an uasset file?

As of 06 Nov 2016 on UE 4.11.2

1.) Make sure that you are not trying to import a newer version file to a older version of Unreal Engine. Unreal assets are not backward compatible.

Steps to take …
1.) Make sure you close your project that you want to import the file into.
2.) Use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to copy those file directly into the project’s folder named “CONTENT”.
3.) Fire up Unreal, and open your project. Those files should be detected automatically.

WARNING : DO NOT TRY TO DRAG FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER DIRECTLY INTO CONTENT BROWSER FOR UASSET FILES ONLY.
DOING SO WILL ONLY MAKE UNREAL REPORT THAT IMPORTATION OF ASSET HAS FAILED. Because draging and dropping files
only work with files generated by other softwares like fbx, jpeg, tga, … etc. WHY?! I have no clue that’s how it’s designed.

(If this dont work, most probably the assets you have on hand is of a newer version than the current version of UNREAL you are running.)

Cheers

NOTE : I am not a UE Staff, I tested the steps and reproduced the results on my end. Of cos I am human and could still be doing something
wrong. But it worked for me :slight_smile: at least on my end.

1 Like

I have FOUND A SOLUTION AND ITS EASY FOLLOW THIS LINK TO A UE4 DEVELOPER PAGE FOR THE TUTORIAL!!! COPY AND PASTE THIS - ://www.michalorzelek/blog/tutorial-how-to-install-ue4-content-packs/

Oh I didnt see that someone all ready answered sorry I was looking at the top of the page.

None of these solutions work/apply to me. I have a broken project (built in 4.10) and I’m using 4.12.5. I have tried copying the “Content” folder and its sub-folders over to an empty, blank project but none of the .uasset files are seen in the editor although they are there in windows explorer.

The project is broken because some .dll files are missing and UE reports that the project needs to be re-built, but I don’t have the sources to build those missing files. Consequently, I cannot open the project to get at all the assets, meshes, blueprints, materials etc.

So, just putting the .uasset files into a new project does not grant access to them - they’re not even shown as existing according to UE - it just ignores them completely.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I can recover these assets?

1 Like

Yep I have the same problem and they STILL have not fixed it two YEARS later… :frowning:

They should but they are not, man. Wanted to copy an asset from one folder to another and failed lol.

I recommend handling all files from within the Unreal editor, migrate or export. Trying to move assets manually is an incredibly risky endeavor because there are logfiles, dependencies and redirectors that can get messed up very easily when messing with things outside of the editor. In my first build I ended up with ~5000 unsolvable errors when trying to package because of the dependencies.

Really really new here. I have been unable to find a strait answer… when I download a asset or assets how do I open them in a pre existing project. I am about to attempt migrating but is there not a easier way to accomplish this?

You drag them into the Content folder of your project outside of UE4. After you have done so and start up UE4 and confirm that they’re in your project, move them to the correct folder inside of UE4 (if necessary).

I have installed the plugin and I have the camera in the scene it just will not follow my player start. It is rendering the images just not following me, its only staying in one place.

My bad! I already did what you said I thought this was an answer to my question concerning attaching my Simple Panoramic Exporter to my player start.

I am getting a similar issue, after copying the assets into a folder the base color normals… etc. seem to loose their file path. Initially the preview shows up, then after applying the material all the information disappears…

Migration works with the Asset files, texture and material files but I don’t think it works on blueprints or widget files. The code seems to breaks when you try to migrate blueprint or widget files into an existing project if its not being migrated over into in a new blank project or causes risk of data corruption issues which crash the project or stop it from functioning properly or you get those non access errors popping up. So I only use Migration now for moving assets, textures, ect and avoid trying to move widgets or any blueprints. Those files just seem to be nothing but trouble and if you want them in the other project then they may have to be re-made again. Might not be transferrable if it breaks the blueprints.

It does work for blueprints/widgets too, I migrated BPs bought from the marketplace successfully. If it doesn’t work you should file a bug report.

It might work for market stuff, depnding on engine version, but it dont seem to work for custom-made blueprints. Seems to break it in some way.

Did you try it recently? Because if it doesn’t work it’s a bug. Marketplace blueprints are custom made blueprints so I don’t see why your own custom made blueprints shouldn’t migrate properly.

What I did get when I tried to migrate my flycam blueprint from one of my game projects to put it in another game project the code did run, but after playing the code to test it to see if it all works, but was acting a little funny, but after I exited back into the editor, up popped a big red circle X so i clicked on that to open up the log and there was pages and pages and pages of all these Non Access Errors popping
up on some nodes on the blueprint that I had just migrated and all the errors were coming up on all the movement nodes… Those Non-access errors were not there before I migrated the flycam blueprint over into my project. So that’s how I know something weird with the code was going on.

GHOSTING

In another incident when i tried to copy a Coin Collect Blueprint and the coin Widget blueprint over into my project for Both projects were using 4.15 and I had both editors of both projects open when I did the migration of the coin credit collecting system… Because I wanted to migrate it into my other project. I was given the same issue, Non Access errors popping up after playing in collecting up the coins, and the Coin Text started to overlap on itself instead of clearing … So I checked the widget, to make sure there was no second layer of text being on top of the score and there was only just one text assigned which was the score but for some unknown reason it was not clearing the score and was overlapping on the screen. Before the migration, the widget was working perfectly fine in the original project. But after the migration the blueprint wouldn’t work the same way as it did in the other project. That’s when I started to suspect that there might be an isssue with trying to migrate blueprints from one project into another existing project.

My work around for copying 5 uasset from a tutorial to my project was placing the original folder with the uassets to Content. Created another folder also con Content using Windows Explorer and copied from the original folder to the new folder I created all the uassets and now Unreal Engine sees them and let me use them.

Sounds stupid but before I tried this, I was not able to use the uassets from that tutorial… and I tried everything…

I am reviving this thread because UE ■■■■■■ Me of that I cannot just simply drag and drop any UASSET file in any project i like. I same - I download free content from internet .PAK file (does not matter where and what) - same problem - I unpack .PAK files - there literally are sitting FULL UE4 PROJECT. I click on that and it cannot find modules - it asks for rebuild them - rebuild failed because there is no source files and cannot generate because .PAK file does not come with any source at all. I tried just copy / paste form Content (downloaded project) to Content (my project) - I restart my Project - all what i can see are just empty foolder - all files are sitting there like a ducks phisically but in Editor all copy / paste Folders are empty.

Why copy / paste method not working? How to fix this issue when you copy some downloaded unpacked .PAK file content full project to your project and you want it to use it but it show only empty folder names in UE4 editor?

How to fix that one that it shows all files as well and not only just empty folders???

“”“”“”“”“”“”
Originally posted by **** View Post
You can close your project and manually copy your uasset files to content folder, when you reopen your project it’ll be working normally, it’s a workaround but works.
But when you do it this way, you will have to keep in mind that you might lose some references -> it’s better when you do it with the migration tool :slight_smile:

How about if I downloaded some assets from the internet? It’s a few files, all ending in *.uasset
I have no idea what engine version they were made with. I cannot “migrate” them. Dragging from windows explorer to the folder to the content browser results in “Failed to import ###. Unknown uasset extension”. This message surprised me quite a bit. Importing them through “import” cannot be done, because apparently uasset files are not importable (they don’t show up when I browse to them).

I can imagine that importing such files in the project may require some kind of conversion, since they may not have been created with the same engine version, but there surely must be a way?

Anyone else with a similar problem?

P.S.
The assets I am trying to import are these: https://drive.google/file/d/0B1n…ew?usp=sharing
From this post: https://forums.unrealengine/show…hader-download

“”“”“”“”“”

when working with uasset files, it is crucial that the engine version you are working with is the same as the engine version the files were compiled with.
also remind: files are not backwards compatible. you cannot migrate a higher version of a file into an older engine version.
it could work, when the engine version is higher that the version of the file tho.
also it is bad practice to directly work on the filestructure. it would be way better to use unreal “migrate” tool. this way, you can be sure that all references will also be copied correctly.

1 Like