Is swarm agent disconnecting computer during build process?

Hi kurylo3d -

So a few things to confirm that the network is up and running and you are not losing anything there:

Are the Computers in your Homegroup all running the following Services:

• DNS Client
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource
    Publication
  • Peer Networking Grouping
  • HomeGroup Provider
  • HomeGroup Listener
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host

Are all of the Computers set to not sleep and not engage a screensaver? The screensaver is something that will eat processors to run and Coordinator always yields to activity on the Local Machines before allowing Swarm to work on those machines. You can still use the Power Management to turn off the monitor after a set number of minutes as long as it doesn’t also put the computer to sleep or suspend mode.

Let me know -

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,

All of those seem to be running on both REVY and MOTOKO. Many were set to manual, but i decided to just switch them all to automatic… probably wont change anything since they were running anyway. As for ROCK I do not remember if any were disabled or not, but i switched that computer to auto as well…

No screen savers or sleep modes are active on any machine.

I will kick off another build tonight or tomorrow and see the results. Though as i said… i really didnt change anything … otehr then set it to auto instead of manual. The stuff is already running…

Any other ideas?

Hey ERic,

Ok i tested this with my 2 desktop machines… Revy and Motoko. No change. Still broken. Any idea whats wrong? :confused:

Is there anything specific i should do for windows 7 and windows 8 in terms of how the network is setup? Options to enable / disable in windows? Settings… etc…? Anything specific really…

Not anything specific other than what I mentioned earlier. You could check to make sure that you are not blocking the ports (Specifically 8009) via your router or firewall programs. We are attempting to setup a test for this scenario and I will let you know as soon as we are able to get some results.

Eric Ketchum

my router only seems to allow you to open a port on 1 device at a time… for instance it wont let me open 8009 on computer 2 if its already open for computer 1.

I also just realized that the Motoko Windows 7 Machine has windows firewall on… and the Rock laptop has mcafee with windows firewall.

I have since uninstalled mcafee and disabled the windows firewall on both of those machines. I will try another build test between the 3 computers tonight.

Ok after disabling all windows firewalls… it worked for Rock laptop. That ones agent is now contributing correctly. Oddly enough though the windows 7 machine MOTOKO, which also happens to be the coordinator, still has the problem and is not working… wtf…

Its coordinating the other 2, but itself is messed up.

If you still have a copy of the 4.8 engine, try opening Coordinator up in 4.8 and running it with the 4.9 Agents and let me know if anything behavioural changes from your last test?

Thank Yuo

Eric Ketchum

I dont think i ever used 4.8. I went from 4.7 to 4.9. That being said i am currently doing 1 more test. I noticed the MOTOKO windows 7 machine also had a version of mcaffee installed for some reason. Though the firewall was still disabled in windows. I uninstalled it and kicked off one more build before I left. I will see if it worked in a couple of hours when i get back to the computers.

Ok… so i tried uninstalling mcafffee off the motoko windows 7 machine and doing a bake with all 3 again to test… that did not work… still broke. Heres whats worse. The ROCK windows 8 laptop… made it to the blue bars once… then after that it kept stopping at the orange several times… continuing hte problem… so thats not really fixed eitehr… crap. Why would that be happening!? How does that even make sense?

ROCK no longer goes to dead… its always available unassigned which was a plus of removing mcaffeee and the windows firewall… but obviously still having problems with that comp too.

my bad… i do i have 4.8… must have used it at one point for my project. I can give this a try later.

Hey Eric,

I tried using your suggestion with using the 4.8 coordinator instead with the 4.9 agents. The problem still exists… This time The ROCK LAptop made it to blue bars a bunch of times… but somtimes went to orange bars and restarted from what it appeared … Its a weird thing to see. I will post logs and screenshots later.

Aside from the the Motoko windows 7 machine which is the coordinator still did not ever make it to the blue bars… its still messed up as well… So yea… still issues…

Here are the logs from this latest test with the 4.8 coordinator and 4.9 agents… and the above are teh screenshots of the weirdness.

link text

link text

link text

Hi kurylo3d -

Can you confirm that each of your CPUs have the latest DotNET framework installed? The easiest way to do this is to install /Engine/Extras/Redist/en-us/UE4PrereqSetup.exe. This file will ensure that the CPU has all the required prerequisites to correctly run. Also make sure you are running that file from the version of the engine you want to use.

Please let me know when you can if that was successful for you -

Eric Ketchum

Hi eric, I will give that a try when I get home, but I more then likely will not be able to test it. Reason for this is im now onto engine 4.10. Engine 4.10 with my computers at home eitehr crashes and closes the process on me of the unreal editor… or it just says build failed. Some warnings about hierarchy lods in there even though im not using those… So … .yea… i now cant even do a build. Though my comp at work can do a build alone… so i have no idea what the heck is going on here… 4.9 i could at least start builds and test. I already uninstalled 4.9 from all my machines.

So yea I guess I will get back to you when that bug is resolved or answered… The hits just keep on comin…