Is it worth upgrading to a gtx 980 from my current card?

Wait at least until april/may Nvidia usually upgrades their cards around march. And many places have discounts for old year hardware just before summer.
And yes upgrading to 980 is good choice, but if your PC can handle everything you need wait as long as you can handle it. You will gain in either better (more mature)
revision of pcb and chips or you gain in lower prices. Also before you believe in some discount check web history for same page from before xmass year, they love to make fake discounts nowadays.

If you cannot upgrade CPU because old motherboard, you either go full on GPU and upgrade CPU next year or you do opposite. Splitting 50/50 funds between cpu and gpu will give you 2 cheap parts that you need to upgrade soon. So after 2 upgrades you will be still with cheap hardware, and when you go all out on single now and all out on other later you end with 2 good parts.

When i upgrade i always go to max i can afford atm, last few years it paid off, i upgraded my computer like 4 years ago, it still works fine. I do not plan to upgrade it until i need to. But when i go for upgrade i will get max hardware i can. Its better than getting new mid range upgrade every year or 2.

Thanks a lot for the reply! You think if I upgrade only the GPU now my performance in UE4 will be limited from the old CPU i5 2400?

Gtx 970 and I5 2400, I don’t understand much from hardware, but I want more FPS don’t care much of the compiling time. So what’s more important for higher performance in the UE4 the GPU or the CPU

The GPU will definitely give you a larger performance increase than the CPU, how much of an increase depends how good your current video card is. In general for UE4 the GPU will have the highest impact on performance of any other single component. Plus as you noted above, upgrading the CPU requires a new motherboard, in the end that could be more expensive than the 970.

Just make sure your power supply can handle the 970, they recommend a minimum of 550w, but you should be fine if you have a 500w (they tend to exaggerate the requirements). Then if you can later in the year upgrade the CPU, there will be a new processor released by Intel later year, so the current top of the line CPU’s will drop in price. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the info man! I’m with 500W, but the EVGA version requires 500 too, I’m pretty confident too it will be enough. The 8 pin is pain in the ***, but the EVGA is x2 6pin so I’ll be fine. My biggest concern was that the CPU will limit the performance of the GPU, but now I’ll be confident in the purchase :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks

I’m using a Zotac gtx 980 amp, awesome card, runs very quiet and cool, never even hear it no matter how hard I push it. I’m getting 118 fps most the time, running @2560x1600 on HP z30i monitor…

980’s are glorious.